The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kipster

Guru
A bit of a quiet month so far, some University visits with my son and a weeks holiday have kept me off the bike, and the unwelcome addition of a small bout of sickness didn't help. The highlight ride was a club away day where we rode over the severn crossing, well worth doing especially on a glorious sunny day. Anyway, all posted up, thats for the nudge!

The Bystander

Über Member
Can't possibly give you a like for that post . That's worth an official warning :okay: . But this heat certainly kills your enthusiasm

Not so much a lack of enthusiasm more a lack of concentration. It was one of my regular routes but I missed one of the small loops that tick it over the 50km. Didn't notice 'till I was off the bike. If I wasn't already 14 points ahead of last year's challenge at this point I'd probably have taken more care.

I realise that this in no way excuses my behaviour and I apologise for failing to respect the challenge and accept the official warning.:okay:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I'm still in with several, just got back from the Cairngorms where only 2 of 4 days were over 50km but given we were wild camping, riding mtbs and 90% was off road then not too bad. It's my 100km that's not done yet. Saturday or bust! Also a pathetic points total this month so far as I've ridden a fair bit as our trial bikepacking weekend the previous weekend was Fri evening, Sat morning and both just under 50 but hauling full camping kit too! I did 48km one Weds evening, again so hot no energy to round it up,. The Cairngorms loop was an adventure, we didn't complete the inner loop as well for medical reasons, but still 200km wild off road over 4 days was an adventure. Will write a blog post at some point.

Last edited:

Fiona R

I'm going to be in Cornwall again. And...... I get to take my own bike, for the first time! :bicycle::hyper::sun:

Less miles but more elevation. I should definitely get a half metric or even possibly a half imperial but I definitely won't get the metric century that's for sure!
Not fair is it?:heat: bust my socks this month so far, but in wilds on mtb carrying camping kit, food etc so several other rides just short of 50km but worth 100km in effort expended.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Not so much a lack of enthusiasm more a lack of concentration. It was one of my regular routes but I missed one of the small loops that tick it over the 50km. Didn't notice 'till I was off the bike. If I wasn't already 14 points ahead of last year's challenge at this point I'd probably have taken more care.

I realise that this in no way excuses my behaviour and I apologise for failing to respect the challenge and accept the official warning.:okay:
Nip out now and ride to the end of the street and back - I'll let you off the fact that you had a rest in between! :whistle:

iandg

Legendary Member
Just catching up on the thread since my holidays . First my apologies to all halfies ( especially @Katherine ) as while I was there I rode several distances of 25 to 27 without converted them to 50km :shy: due to time constraints as I was 2mph slower down there . Did manage 2 50kms a 50 mile and a imperial ton so not too shabby .
Just checked the thread and with 1 weekend to go we have 30 riders fully posted leaving 9 not posted or I have missed their post so a nudge for @tallliman ,@StuartG ,@Cranky Knee Girl ,@fatjel ,@slow scot ,@Slick ,@kipster ,@wicker man and @Ice2911 .
Well done everyone :thumbsup: there's certainly been no slacking in my absence it great to see people start to up the milage

Where did the time go? Been busy travelling up and down the road to Dumfries and Galloway looking for houses and getting our Stornoway house ready to sell.

Only done 4 or 5 rides so far this month. Need to get my ass on the saddle and get out.

Fiona R

Where did the time go? Been busy travelling up and down the road to Dumfries and Galloway looking for houses and getting our Stornoway house ready to sell.

Only done 4 or 5 rides so far this month. Need to get my ass on the saddle and get out.
I've been enjoying your Instagram highlights of your travels

From what I saw on the Humber Bridge ride, I think he redefined 'hilly' too ... :whistle:

(As in defining the ramp to the bridge to be a Cat 1 climb! :laugh:)

I don't think that I have ever met anyone else that fit who dislikes hills so much. :rolleyes:
I have to go to Detroit quite regularly for work and wanted to do some riding while I was there. I popped into a local bike shop to enquire about hiring a bike and while I was at it asked if there were any decent hills around there. The guy thought on it for a bit and then, with a perfectly straight face, said "Yes, if you go down highway XYZ there's one where it has to go over the railway." :laugh:

Domus

Guru
Following the government's advice I stayed out of the hot sun by riding to visit my mum in the pouring rain :rain:
Ate beans on toast in a cafe in Horwich whilst dripping rainwater all over the floor :hungry:
Took the CR1 to make sure all is well for Friday night, and it seems to be running well :bicycle:
See you in York

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
He's trying to redefine 'fair weather cyclist'! :laugh:

No longer will it mean 'only rides in good weather'. From now on it will mean 'only rides half metric centuries in bad weather, and rides metric and imperial centuries in good weather, with the occasional double metric century chucked in too'!

I misread this :whistle:

I`m trying to do a @13 rider :notworthy: and do all 3 challenges without double posting. I did 5 Imperial tons and a Metric ton in the first 3 months of the year i`ll have you know and they were bloody hard work :cold::cry::laugh:

Imperial tons take priority so that`s the first one to get done asap, I then put the next one in the Metric ton challenge and everything else goes in the 50km thread :smile:

Ice2911

Über Member
7thJan Norwich Salhouse loop plus club ride from Norwich to Walcott plus the Salhouse loop again 65 miles

11thFeb
Loop, 53-11 club ride toMattishall, loop and finish withEastern Avenue. Very Windy. 62 and a bit miles 100km

25th March, just in time, Norwich Salhouse loop, then a club ride to Guist and back 67 miles or 108km Saved ride in two parts at coffee stop. Good to be out with the sun shining and drier roads :smile:

6th April with HOGOTS loop from Hethersett and home. A windy 62 miles.

May 6th
Tour de broads, 102 miles. Not the last to post this month :smile: 1 hr 15 minutes faster than last year.
Beautiful sunny day but a little blowy especially last 12 miles.

3rd June
Home to Holt and back, 62 miles

24th July 50 km with 53-11 social ride including a beer stop :smile:

Attachments

• 6A455A70-D9F1-431D-83ED-71564137A4E2.png
    6A455A70-D9F1-431D-83ED-71564137A4E2.png
    63.4 KB · Views: 22

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I misread this :whistle:

I`m trying to do a @13 rider :notworthy: and do all 3 challenges without double posting. I did 5 Imperial tons and a Metric ton in the first 3 months of the year i`ll have you know and they were bloody hard work :cold::cry::laugh:

Imperial tons take priority so that`s the first one to get done asap, I then put the next one in the Metric ton challenge and everything else goes in the 50km thread :smile:
I just can't face doing 3-and-a-bit laps of the local valley A-roads in winter to get my imperial centuries in, otherwise I would be joining you. (The alternative would involve BIG hills and quite possibly hilltop snow/ice/freezing fog/bitter winds.)

If my financial situation ever improves I think I will do what I have been threatening to do which is to decamp to mainland Spain or Mallorca when the weather is bad here and get some of my imperial centuries in there instead.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
7thJan Norwich Salhouse loop plus club ride from Norwich to Walcott plus the Salhouse loop again 65 miles

11thFeb
Loop, 53-11 club ride toMattishall, loop and finish withEastern Avenue. Very Windy. 62 and a bit miles 100km

25th March, just in time, Norwich Salhouse loop, then a club ride to Guist and back 67 miles or 108km Saved ride in two parts at coffee stop. Good to be out with the sun shining and drier roads :smile:

6th April with HOGOTS loop from Hethersett and home. A windy 62 miles.

May 6th
Tour de broads, 102 miles. Not the last to post this month :smile: 1 hr 15 minutes faster than last year.
Beautiful sunny day but a little blowy especially last 12 miles.

3rd June
Home to Holt and back, 62 miles

24th July 50 km with 53-11 social ride including a beer stop :smile:
Wrong thread . Don't worry it still counts :okay: should be in the challenge thread

Last edited:

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
I just can't face doing 3-and-a-bit laps of the local valley A-roads in winter to get my imperial centuries in, otherwise I would be joining you. (The alternative would involve BIG hills and quite possibly hilltop snow/ice/freezing fog/bitter winds.)

If my financial situation ever improves I think I will do what I have been threatening to do which is to decamp to mainland Spain or Mallorca when the weather is bad here and get some of my imperial centuries in there instead.

I would not be doing the Imperial challenge if I was in your neck of the woods either, I hate hills :angry:

Top Bottom