The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lilliburlero

Pro sandbagger
July`s ride done today. Met up with my main man Paul at 05:30 and sat on his back wheel for 42 miles ^_^, before meeting up with 3 others from Velo Moira at 08:30 for a ride out to Fradley cafe. A very nice 25 miles with them before heading off on my own for another 37 miles. It was so hot out there that I had to do a pub stop on 89 miles for a very cold pint of cider ;) :cheers:

Another good day :bicycle: https://www.relive.cc/view/1704192338

Last edited:
Nice gaff that cafe at Fradley @Lilliburlero. Cracking effort in this heat well done :okay:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Managed to get up early enough to sneak in a Cornish 50km ride before the family got up . 32.6 miles with only 3300ft of upness. There's no flat bit here it's either up or down . The downhills are pretty :eek: as very poor line of sight so you don't get much reward for all the climbing . Anyone who does the area I climbed out of Watergate bay towards Newquay which was tough .

Having just returned from a bikeless :sad: family break on the Devon/Cornwall border, I can sympathise.

Domus

Guru
What a lovely day for a bike ride. Up in Sunny Grange and decided to try something new. A ride to Ulverston and lunch with Mrs Domus who took the train. Met her at the bike hub at the station for good coffee and a bacon roll, she had a stroll around the shops and I returned via Bigland Hill. Spectacular views all afternoon, on the climb out of Ulverston, the very quiet lanes and from the top of Bigland Hill.
Only downside, I didn’t bother with coffee in Cartmel as someone on here recommended the garden centre in Cark. Hot and sweaty with little water left on arrival to find the cafė closed. Still, cracking ride on a hot and sunny day.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A rare opportunity for a mid-week entry today and to mix it up even more I was out on the Giant, complete with mudguards (well, you can't be too careful can you..? :laugh:)
I headed east in a repeat of a ride I've done variations of many times, but one which I knew I'd be going against the flow of most of the rush hour traffic as i left the city and then have minimal traffic on the rest of the run.
All good and another point in the bag.

steverob

Guru
An enjoyable, gentle 50km ride this afternoon, because I'm planning on doing my long RideLondon training ride (the final one!) tomorrow with any luck.

Towards the end of the ride, I did a short stint on the newly opened Waddesdon Greenway cyclepath (https://greenwaysandcycleroutes.org/waddesdon-and-aylesbury/) which is a great option over using the very busy A41 between Aylesbury Vale Parkway station and Waddesdon Manor. Unfortunately at the moment there's a chunk in the middle that hasn't been paved and so isn't passable on a road bike (mountain and wider tyre hybrids would be fine as it's somewhat compacted gravel), but I went as far as I could. The reason is that eventually HS2 will be crossing the route of the path and they'll be building a bridge over the railway line, so they don't want to put down a permanent path for now.

Also, Strava tells me that I've now done over 10,000 miles on my Trek bike - not bad for just under 4 years. My previous bike I had for almost 18 years and I estimate (cause I didn't get a GPS device until 2013) that only did about 14,000 at most.

Top Bottom