The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
Early one for me, appointment at Christie Hospital on Wednesday so not sure when I will be on the bike after that.
Anyway, hot and sunny ride over Holcombe with added smoke from Winter Hill. Lots of bikes about, no doubt staying away from Rivington and Belmont.

steverob

Guru
Ugh. My ride on Saturday was a mess. With RideLondon on the horizon, thought I'd go and recce some of the Surrey countryside to get me in the mood - did it about three weeks before the last time I was in RL and it went quite well, so didn't think I'd have any problems.

Rather than following the ride route accurately this time, I decided to do a route that stayed off the major roads as much as possible, but still covered similar terrain, so starting in Leatherhead, I cut down to Effingham, climbed High Barn Road, which is the opposite (and easier) side to Whitedown Hill, then went (almost) up to Ripley to pick up the ride route, before turning off to climb Staple Lane, which I did instead of Newlands Corner (keeping me off the A25). This is where it started to go a little bit wrong.

I was already struggling to change gear into my small front ring - it would only jump across if I was already in one of my two largest rings at the rear and even then made an unhealthy grinding noise while it did - and the fact that Staple Lane was an open climb with no tree cover meant the sun was beating down on me and really sapping me of energy. The irony is that the downhills were all TOO shaded - with my current (mainly psychological) issues of not being able to go at any speed on unfamiliar descents because I'm hyper-wary of the road surface, the mottled effect of sunlight coming through the trees made it impossible to tell what was and wasn't a pothole even if I took my sunglasses off, meaning I crawled down anything steeper than minus 5% on pretty much full brakes!

However I was glad I did, as about halfway down Combe Lane (other side of Staple Lane) I found the Police had closed the road due to another cyclist crashing - didn't get any details of whether there was anyone else involved (not sure I really wanted to know TBH) - but by the time I got there, the ambulance had already departed and the police were just tidying up and said it would only be closed for another 10 minutes, so myself and one other cyclist took a breather and waited it out; I wasn't about to turn around and climb back up, although a few others did.

I took on some food here (had been drinking constantly during the ride so far), but with hindsight I probably didn't eat enough. I'd forgotten how long it had taken to get to Leatherhead in the first place - delays on the M25 meant what should have been a journey of about one hour twenty mins, was instead nearly two and a half and I'd really only had a smallish breakfast and a handful of jelly babies to sustain me so far. I should have eaten something in the car while we were queued, but you live and learn.

Next stop was Abinger and then on to Leith Hill. I was definitely going slower than I had the last time I was down this way (only did this bit on my previous recce ride, didn't get to do it in RL itself due to a detour) but still thought I was doing okay until I hit the climb itself. It was like moving through treacle - I had already gone through all my gears before I even reached the first actual steep ramp of the hill and I knew I just wasn't going to make it. I did come to a stop - thought it was barely halfway at the time, but now looking back at Strava I'm surprised that it was nearer two thirds done (just past the entrance to the Leith Place NT car park). Took me five minutes sit down (felt like 15 at the time), three quarters of the larger of my water bottles and a whole bunch of sausage rolls before I felt good enough to carry on and I did eventually grind (almost literally given my gear issues) out the rest of the climb. A nervous descent into Dorking followed along with the realisation that I wasn't going to manage Box Hill today. Even if I had suddenly managed to feel up to it, the greater than planned amount of time it had taken for me to get this far, meant I was going to have to cut something from the ride because my wife was waiting with the car at our agreed finish point. It meant that what was originally going to be a 100km ride, was now just over 50 miles instead.

Road the cyclepath alongside the A24 out of Dorking and did turn off for Box Hill at the roundabout, but went straight on at the hill junction towards Mickleham. Did a quick detour to do the first bit of the Headley Lane climb (my original route had me coming down this way after Box), but wasn't up for much more than that. Headed back to Effingham via Great Bookham only to find that the pub we'd agreed to meet up at was not serving food all day like we thought it did, only lunches (for which I was too late) or evening meals (too early) on Saturdays. So it was a quick drink, get changed in the pub loo and stop off at the motorway services on the way home instead.

Looking back over the ride now, while I can certainly point my finger at not eating enough and the hot weather draining my energy as being causes, I know at the same time that my main problem is that I am really struggling for fitness (I've done tougher climbs than Leith Hill in worse conditions before) and this ride has really brought into focus that I've only got a month to go and I have to improve massively if I want to get round the 100 miles in one piece. And I didn't do any miles on Sunday either, because my plans for a gentle ride in the late evening went out the window when it was still 28 degrees at 7pm. As I said earlier - ugh!

kapelmuur

Veteran
I often read on cycling sites about people who are desperate to shave a few grammes off the weight of their bike and will spend big money to do so.

I was thinking about this as I loaded 2 x 1 litre bidons into my bottle cages this morning, thus increasing the weight of my bike by 20%!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Well, accompanied our house guest from last night halfway home, then returned via Leigh Guided Busway and managed 51Kms.
Total is now 33 points in early July equalling my total for the whole of 2017. Doc told me yesterday surgery is required on my prostate so am filling my boots while I can.
Well done on the points :thumbsup:. Just think what your going to need in 2019 :eek:. Hope the surgery is successful dosnt keep you off the bike too long

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Managed a cheeky 50km this morning day off work should be getting ready for my Holiday but a time gap arrived so snuck out .33.2 miles . Off to Cornwall for 2 weeks tomorrow the bike coming but will have limited time so may not get many quialifing rides in . I will have limited access but I will be watching :ph34r: everyone progress

Top Bottom