The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
Up in Sunny Grange. Hotter than a hot thing on a hotplate.

Gentle ride to Arnside then went a bit mental and carried on up to Silverdale and did a circuit back to Arnside for the most powerful espresso ever in the Jazz coffee shop opposite the station. Gentle ride back to caravan and a warm shower. 70.3 very hot Kms.
Van needs washing and some weeding tomorrow should earn me some brownie points for another ride on Friday. Isn’t retirement wonderful.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
@13 rider Thanks for the nudge. It just goes to show how anticipations can just vanish before one's eyes.
In May I thought June was looking to be good month, starting on the first day/night with the The Fridays ride to Blackpool for the MCAM challenge, but having completed that, it all went downhill with demands on my time. The first two week's saddle time was all commuting and the one commute I had time to add 25k for the challenge, my legs felt rubbish and I was too hot and after an additional 15k it was abandoned. Hiring a bike for 2 - 3 hours during a week away with Mrs B, would have reduced my stock of brownie points well into the minus figures, which left 1 week which with other commitments was looking like getting up at very silly o clock to complete the challenge. Luckily an errand today gave a window of opportunity to get the bike out, but even then it wasn't making life easier, with the heat and a slow puncture.
In summary, cutting it fine but a limp over the line.

Ice2911

Über Member
Its that time again half a weekend to go . We have 32 fully posted up riders making it to halfway :wahhey:
That leaves 6 riders to post or get a ride in so a gentle nudge for @ColinJ ,@Bazzer ,@Ice2911 ,@kipster ,@slow scot and @fatjel . Well done everyone :thumbsup:. Apparently it's all downhill from here :rolleyes:
Thanks for the heads up, just good to be riding with the sun on your back gaining that awful cycling tan :smile:

kipster

Guru
My ride of note this month has to be the Bianchi devil sportive that I did on Sunday. A lovely warm ride with stunning scenery but a bit of climbing to get to those views. The highlight hill was the devil's staircase, a brute of a hill, 25% from the get go and no let up until about half way up the 0.7 mile hill. I did the shorter of two rides available, 95 miles and 130 miles. One thing I didn't do well on the ride was drink. I only got through 2×750ml bottles of drink. Not enough for a 95 mile ride, but I wasn't thirsty or cramping.

My ride of note this month has to be the Bianchi devil sportive that I did on Sunday. A lovely warm ride with stunning scenery but a bit of climbing to get to those views. The highlight hill was the devil's staircase, a brute of a hill, 25% from the get go and no let up until about half way up the 0.7 mile hill. I did the shorter of two rides available, 95 miles and 130 miles. One thing I didn't do well on the ride was drink. I only got through 2×750ml bottles of drink. Not enough for a 95 mile ride, but I wasn't thirsty or cramping.

Top effort that @kipster, well done. :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was out in the sunshine yesterday and thought I might do my June '50' but my friend Carrie was tired so we just settled for a ride up to the ice cream van at Blackstone Edge and some sunbathing by the reservoir, then back halfway down the hill to call in at Craggies cafe for more goodies and sunbathing. I could have added some more distance on after we parted but I'd hit the rush hour so I headed straight home.

I was running out of time to get this month's ride in so I made sure to tackle it today. I did a lumpy 59 km ride with @Littgull - a very nice ride in the sun with some tough Yorkshire hills (1,200 metres in total, or about 4,000 ft for you die-hard imperialists).

Ice2911

Über Member

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.5 KB · Views: 25
Top Bottom