The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Discussion in 'CycleChat Monthly Challenges' started by 13 rider, 28 Dec 2017.

1. 13 rider

13 rider Veteran

This is where we discuss the 2018 half century challenge .
    As per the last few years I will be overseeing the challenge
    Good luck everyone who enters

2. cosmicbike

cosmicbike Perhaps This One..... Staff Member

Oh go on then. Hoping to do the other 2 at the same time, assuming I actually manage my first ever imperial century in January of course...

3. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

Go on then, might as well do 3 in a row.

4. steverob

steverob Über Member

Definitely in.

This challenge has given me a reason to get out on my bike when I haven't felt like it these past two years, and that's a good thing (mainly cause once I am out, I absolutely love it, I'm just sometimes too lazy to make that initial move).

Chris Doyle, gavgav, Bazzer and 6 others like this.
  5. ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

I'm in! :hello:

I'm doing the metric century a month in tandem and am aiming to do as many imperial centuries as I can for that, while acknowledging that I am very unlikely to manage one every month (which is why I'm not doing the imperial century challenge itself).

Similarly, I think that I will try and make as many of my half centuries as I can 50-milers. There is an outside chance that I might manage to do a 50-miler a month on top of the month's metric century so it will be interesting to see how that idea pans out.

My standard loops round here are 25-33 kms (15.5-20.5 miles) so the half century challenge encourages me to extend some of those rides when I would otherwise just have nipped out and done a shorter one.

Chris Doyle, gavgav, Bazzer and 3 others like this.
  6. aferris2

aferris2 Über Member

I'm in.
    It's a great incentive to get me out there for something other than the usual commute.

7. NorthernDave

NorthernDave Never used Über Member

Oh, go on then...

:laugh:

Jon George, gavgav, Bazzer and 3 others like this.
  8. Katherine

Katherine Staff Member Staff Member

As one of the original 'halfers', I'm glad to still be in. It's less of a challenge than it used to be which is why I want to try the metric century but it is still a challenge. I only managed 22 miles yesterday for instance.

9. OP
    OP
    13 rider

13 rider Veteran

'halfers' I like that :laugh: @Katherine . The distance is no longer the challenge it was but I still find once I pass 20 miles I have to complete the 50km can't remember the last time I did a 20 mile ride so this challenge still gets me riding more miles

10. ColinJ

Exactly. I have done several very hilly rides over 200 km so for me the distances are not a challenge, it is more about motivating myself to do the rides. I nearly always enjoy long rides when I do them, but I find it easy to make excuses not to!

Chris Doyle, Bazzer and Katherine like this.
  11. Osprey

Osprey Über Member

Count me in. I'm doing the metric century too, but this challenge is great motivation and everyone's rides inspiring.

12. tallliman

tallliman Über Member

Nearly time for year 3!

Chris Doyle and aferris2 like this.
  13. ColinJ

If any of you fancy doing one (or more!) of your qualifying rides with me in 2018 you would be welcome to join me on any my forum rides. I post details in the rides forum, but will add reminders in this thread. :thumbsup:

Chris Doyle and Bazzer like this.
  14. steverob

steverob Über Member

Give me a shout the next time you're planning to come down to Leighton Buzzard. I think I could probably come up with an interesting route and ride it with you and any others who fancy a trip.

Chris Doyle and ColinJ like this.
  15. ColinJ

It will probably be in the second half of March. I'll let you know nearer the time. @shirokazan said that he might come along on the next one if he has rebuilt his cycling legs after their winter break.

Chris Doyle likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice