The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I was aiming to get a metric century in today, riding from Todmorden to the Forest of Bowland and back. That is out to the NW of here. Unfortunately, the weather forecast was starting to look distinctly unpleasant - strong winds, chilly, and lots of rain. I therefore postponed my metric century to a more pleasant day. [PS I think @Domus got the bad weather that I would have suffered if I had stuck to 'Plan A'!]

I looked at the forecast for the area SE of here and saw that the bad weather shouldn't get here until mid-afternoon so I went out at 09:15 and did a 53 km ride. It was a bit nippy in a blustery wind, but I managed to miss the rain and even got some sunshine.

I had seen the bad weather in the distance from the hilltops on my ride but it didn't get here until I was home, showered, and eating my lunch - yay! :okay:

Osprey

Guru
61 wet and windy km's. I kept the drinking to a moderate level last night, but still felt lethargic on the bike. Bike cleaned and lubed ready for next time. https://www.strava.com/activities/1335923761

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The roads were spookily quiet when I set out this morning. I only saw about 4 or 5 drivers in the first 10 miles. In fact, I saw more cyclists than drivers. Clearly, there were a lot of people catching up on their sleep or getting over hangovers from NYE parties ...

When I was on the way home about 2 hours later, traffic levels were already picking up. There were more close passes than usual; I suspect that some of the drivers were not yet fully sober!

Katherine

Guru
A lovely Happy New Year ride today. At the end of the ride, at 53 miles I had the choice of doing another 9 miles in the pouring rain on tired legs (for a first attempt at a January metric century) or going to the pub with my co riders to celebrate.

I went to the pub of course! After a pint of Wainwright, I didn't even feel the last mile, up hill in the heavy rain :bicycle::cheers::rain:^_^

Go on then, I'll have a crack at this. I'd like to do the century challenge but can't see me having the time for 100 mile rides until spring.

I assume cafe/rest stops acceptable on some rides? How do you get the little stars?

Cheers.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Go on then, I'll have a crack at this. I'd like to do the century challenge but can't see me having the time for 100 mile rides until spring.

I assume cafe/rest stops acceptable on some rides? How do you get the little stars?

Cheers.
Join the crowd!

Breaks are apparently acceptable, and the star becomes available when you've completed December.

See you at the other end of the year! :okay:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru

Cheers.
Yes cafe stops are not only acceptable but encouraged :okay:
To qualify for a star you need to complete 1 50km ride per month Jan to Dec
Good luck and welcome on board
Edit there is also a metric century 62.3 mile challenge

Last edited:
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I have never bothered before so excuse my ignorance, but can the mileage be split? The reason I ask, I only need to add a few Km to my commute to get this but it is obviously split in two rides but the same day.
Hi @Slick sorry for the delay only just come across your post
Technically the rules allow you to do 50km in 24 hours . Personally I would count it as 2 seperate rides so I wouldn't count it , but the ethos if the challenge is to get people riding more miles and as it's not a competition and you are only challenging yourself so I tend to work on the rule of thumb if you think it counts then it counts

Top Bottom