The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slow scot

Veteran
I'm going to join in too. A bit icy here at the moment, but will get started soon.

Hi @Slick sorry for the delay only just come across your post
Technically the rules allow you to do 50km in 24 hours . Personally I would count it as 2 seperate rides so I wouldn't count it , but the ethos if the challenge is to get people riding more miles and as it's not a competition and you are only challenging yourself so I tend to work on the rule of thumb if you think it counts then it counts

I'm in the same boat as @Slick - with my commute coming in at around 30km, it would be pretty easy to 'top up' with a fairly short evening ride once a week, and on that basis I was wondering about going for the metric century challenge.

But I decided I wouldn't feel this was enough of a challenge or really in the spirit of the whole thing, so I've decided to go for the half century challenge this year and only count 50km/50miles rides that start and end without a break, other than for refreshment, the odd photo or to fix p*******s.

I'd have no issue with anyone counting 24hr totals though. Except of course if they outscore me by the end of the year....:okay:

steverob

Guru
I did do one ride in the half century challenge last year which did rely on the 24 hour rule - I called it the Eddington rule, in that it's a total number of miles that you do in a day that counts. My circumstances were that I was coming back from injury and had only just got back on my bike about a week before the end of the month. When it came to the final day of the month, while I thought there was an outside chance I could manage to ride 50km in one sitting, I knew that time was against me because of a hospital appointment in the middle of the day. So I ended up doing a 25 mile ride first thing in the morning and then a 7 mile ride after I got home that evening to bring my total up to the required amount.

All the other months in the challenge were completed with a single ride, so while I'm happy that this rule exists (otherwise I wouldn't have been able to complete it), I feel it is best used for exceptions rather than something to be relied upon every month.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I'm in the same boat as @Slick - with my commute coming in at around 30km, it would be pretty easy to 'top up' with a fairly short evening ride once a week, and on that basis I was wondering about going for the metric century challenge.

But I decided I wouldn't feel this was enough of a challenge or really in the spirit of the whole thing, so I've decided to go for the half century challenge this year and only count 50km/50miles rides that start and end without a break, other than for refreshment, the odd photo or to fix p*******s.

I'd have no issue with anyone counting 24hr totals though. Except of course if they outscore me by the end of the year....:okay:
Just to clarify the points are purely personal and it's not a competition . Your own points total is a bench mark for the next year

Just to clarify the points are purely personal and it's not a competition . Your own points total is a bench mark for the next year
Yeah, I get that, I'm not competitive in the least. The winky, thumby man was meant to convey that my tongue was firmly in my cheek, but maybe that didn't come across. Maybe we need a smiley who is sticking his tongue in his cheek instead...then again maybe not - I guess that could be misconstrued quite easily too!

Count us in
Hi Rob and Alison. I see you're in Caistor; I'm about 25 miles north of you and sometimes head down your way to see the Windmill at Waltham and enjoy a cafe stop at the Caistor Heritage Centre. Feel free to drop me a line if you fancy ticking off a 50 miler together at any point in the year :smile:

Slick

Guru

I did do one ride in the half century challenge last year which did rely on the 24 hour rule - I called it the Eddington rule, in that it's a total number of miles that you do in a day that counts. My circumstances were that I was coming back from injury and had only just got back on my bike about a week before the end of the month. When it came to the final day of the month, while I thought there was an outside chance I could manage to ride 50km in one sitting, I knew that time was against me because of a hospital appointment in the middle of the day. So I ended up doing a 25 mile ride first thing in the morning and then a 7 mile ride after I got home that evening to bring my total up to the required amount.

All the other months in the challenge were completed with a single ride, so while I'm happy that this rule exists (otherwise I wouldn't have been able to complete it), I feel it is best used for exceptions rather than something to be relied upon every month.

No I get it, it's not in the spirit so I'm happy to not include commute rides. I was looking for an excuse to do more away from the norm anyway.

Slick

Guru
@Slick, I include half a commute (I.e. the ride in for example) if I exceed 50km on it but not otherwise.
Yeah thanks, but not going to happen, I do around 20 each way sometimes a bit more depending on exact route. I thought I could add a lunch ride or even just elongate my route home to bag the point. I'll do it old school, play it safe. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom