The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Well that's me up and running.
Had intended an imperial 50 as part of the build up to the Spring Policini ride, but I think a month of comparatively low mileage rides and getting battered in the gales on Wednesday, was reflected in the way my legs were less than forthcoming at times in the ride, so the more modest metric with a loop at the end was the result.
On the positive side, Tatton Park was lovely and quiet, with many of the deer close (ish) to the road; three herds of females and the stags in their own herd. A couple of the herds:

IMG_20180105_1526459221_zpsfd6tsdwe.jpg

IMG_20180105_152619602_HDR1_zpsalkvtomw.jpg

GuyBoden

Guru
Nice pictures, I think that Tatton park is at it's best in the Winter/Autumn..........
Well that's me up and running.
Had intended an imperial 50 as part of the build up to the Spring Policini ride, but I think a month of comparatively low mileage rides and getting battered in the gales on Wednesday, was reflected in the way my legs were less than forthcoming at times in the ride, so the more modest metric with a loop at the end was the result.
On the positive side, Tatton Park was lovely and quiet, with many of the deer close (ish) to the road; three herds of females and the stags in their own herd. A couple of the herds:

View attachment 390187

View attachment 390188

I'm not participating in this year's Half Century, but best of luck to all 2018 challengers.... :okay:

steverob

Guru
First 50km ride of 2018 in the bag. Was planning on heading up to Ivinghoe Beacon for a little bit of climbing, but halfway there, I swore my crank was coming loose and for some strange reason I didn't have my saddle bag with my tools in to fix it. Nursed the bike home and set to work only to find there was no problem after all and I was just being paranoid. So having already done two thirds of the distance required, I just headed back out in the opposite direction to add on the last bit, except by this time it was raining. Happy days!

Greetings....

Today I managed to get off the mark with a nice 33.3mi/53.5km ride through rural Leicestershire to get a point on the board, very pleased I could get one in earlyish in the month! Could not feel my digits it was that cold! Hopefully I’ll get a couple more in this month time and weather permitting.

Well done to everyone else who is up and running, all the best for the next ones!!

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have just posted my first 50km of the year. I had hoped to do that on Monday but the weather was horrible and the route was too dull for words so I gave up 10 miles short. IMG_1444.JPG Today, I decided to ride my steel roadie around our 'winter evening' route, then decided that I'd carry on around one of the summer routes only in reverse and then just took it in my head to take the back road to Wragby but it brought me onto an A road. I only rode on it for a wee while until I picked up the back road to Bardney, a route that I've not taken before and enjoyed it very much.
It was a tad chilly out there but had my MTB boots on so my feet didn't get cold until the last 7 miles. On my way out of Horncastle, I passed the zebra field and stopped to take a picture. They looked a bit cold but were happily munching away. I've not seen the camels for a couple of weeks and didn't see them today.

Can anyone tell me how to get the star thing denoting completion of last year's challenge?

Todays ride was meant to be the first of my Metric century 100km outings, but a biting North easterly made me cut it short so another half century in the bag.

Echo that, today was Baltic! I stopped at half way for a rest and when it came to putting back on the lid and gloves it was like jumping into a frozen sea! Very uncomfortable ride back home because of that and the relentless headwind! But well done on your effort and hopefully you’ll get to smash your century!

Top Bottom