The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK, I'm off the mark with a couple of half centuries posted. The first was my final ride in Tenerife, basically a 6% climb (and then descent) that went up 1100m without a pause. Less than half the elevation of the Mt Teide climb on New Years Eve but for some reason it hurt more...maybe because I took a side road at the very top which put a 25% sting in the tail! :banghead:

Still, I can't recommend Tenerife highly enough, so long as you like hills, great scenery, climate, roads and drivers too.

In contrast today's bimble was a sunny, cold and windy meander down to Greenwich, reality has been resumed. Have a great 2018 everyone!

kapelmuur

Veteran
Is it possible to limp on a bike? My right leg is still weak, so I feel like I'm operating on a leg and a half.

Since my fall I'm very apprehensive about riding when there's a chance of icy roads, so as Saturday afternoon looked OK I got my 50km for January to start this years challenge. The roads may not have been icy but the wind certainly was!

I see that several folk have completed every year since the challenge started, I wasn't aware of it until 2016, but out of curiosity I checked my 2015 diary and found that I would have qualified had I known about it.

Is it possible to limp on a bike? My right leg is still weak, so I feel like I'm operating on a leg and a half.

Since my fall I'm very apprehensive about riding when there's a chance of icy roads, so as Saturday afternoon looked OK I got my 50km for January to start this years challenge. The roads may not have been icy but the wind certainly was!

I see that several folk have completed every year since the challenge started, I wasn't aware of it until 2016, but out of curiosity I checked my 2015 diary and found that I would have qualified had I known about it.
Well done

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru

The original 2015 challenge was much smaller and low key . 32 starters half had dropped out by halfway and only 7 finishers including @MikeW-71 Dec 31st ride completed at 23.55 !!. 5 originals are still in

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
@13 rider. Can I have the rules explained? Is this 50 miles or 50 km each month for 2018?

I'm already completing a 100km monthly challenge of cycling and running combined. So I could factor this in as well xx

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
@13 rider. Can I have the rules explained? Is this 50 miles or 50 km each month for 2018?

I'm already completing a 100km monthly challenge of cycling and running combined. So I could factor this in as well xx
As @ianrauk has said you can do either 50km or 50mile ride or a combination of them. some people opt to do miles as more of a challenge . But basically 1 50km ride a month is the minimum required anything else is just a bonus

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Finally managed January's ride! It needed sunshine to get me out of the house, and an almost flat route. But felt OK afterwards.
Sadly, though, part of the reason I felt good was that I now have an excuse to be a sloth tomorrow. Definitely missing some of my cycling enthusiasm at the moment!

Katherine

Guru
Finally managed January's ride! It needed sunshine to get me out of the house, and an almost flat route. But felt OK afterwards.
Sadly, though, part of the reason I felt good was that I now have an excuse to be a sloth tomorrow. Definitely missing some of my cycling enthusiasm at the moment!
Don't worry about tomorrow.

Today you were not a sloth!

Top Bottom