The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
From yesterday's 50km ride

39624875182_cec9e49065_z.jpg

39624875052_df2ce13614_z.jpg

39624874932_5e66d8ebd0_z.jpg

img.jpg
24786439907_030c42cba2_z.jpg

Only just noticed, last year I didn't track challenge points because I was posting separate rides both the 50km and 100km challenges. I just did a quick total, 100 points exactly, I bet if I'd aimed for that (and still made sure I hit all my other distance & climbing goals) I'd have missed it for certain! So, like 2017, I'm not going to watch the points until after the year is finished! ^_^

Yeah it doesn’t have to be non stop as such, here’s @13 rider post on the rules.
Hi everyone the subject of split rides has reared its head so here's my take on it having reread the rules . The rules for the half century challenge does not state miles within 24 hours as per the Imperial century which is what I was basing my point of view on .
So what makes a ride 1 ride not 2 . I work on the rule 1 ride does not include a change of clothes ie into work clothes , a work shift inbetween starting and finishing , or stopping to sleep .
I believe the whole ethos of the challenge is to get you riding more miles not just adding 2 commutes together to score some points .
I think most people act within the spirit of the challenge and understand what makes a qualifying ride .The challenge is purely personal so you are only challenging yourself to do the miles . The rules are pretty relaxed and I'm fairly forgiving . In the Imperial century challenge you cannot register your house during the ride for example
The subject seems to be a storm in a tea cup and I believe only 1 split ride was counted last year in exceptional circumstances the rider returning from a pretty serious injury was in danger of not getting a ride in having completed half the challenge .
Hopefully this clears things up and dosnt cause any confusion . Happy riding everyone :bicycle:
Sorry for slightly misleading @steveindenmark as I replied to a pm a bit to quickly

Hope this helps ;)

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Good morning all. Just come back from a nice 40 mile ride so was wondering if I could join the challenge @13 rider?
More than welcome .word of warning 50kms become very addictive . Cafes stops are encouraged

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Nipped out for a pootle round this morning and by 'eck it was cold - again!

Anyway, almost before I knew it I was half a mile from home with the Garmin showing 28 miles ...you can guess the rest... :laugh:

Left instead of right at the end of the road and shortly afterwards there were 31.1 miles (50.05 km) on the screen and I was back home with another point in the bag :okay:

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Another tough (for me) ride this month. Last month's struggle was due to a lay off after shingles. Today's effort comes after a bout of flu. I do need to do more regular little rides to build some fitness up and re-toughen my backside too! About 25 klicks in I was really uncomfortable, the saddle and my bottom having a disagreement, shall we say.

the stupid one

Über Member
I haven’t been on the bike since, what, early November? I considered doing a couple of shorter rides before trying for a metric 50, but where’s the fun in that?

Today was bright, dry, not freezing, and didn’t look too windy, and most importantly Mrs The Stupid One was at home to keep an eye on the horrible kids, so at 2 pm I set off. 3 km later I was feeling the lack of exercise and December’s overconsumption. The distance on the Cateye Strada - its maiden voyage - was not climbing very quickly at all, and the Wirral Way was pretty busy with walkers, dogs and cyclists of all ages so speed wasn’t great. It was windier than I thought, to boot.

Still, I dug in, knowing there were chocolate mini-rolls and hot coffee in the bag. Also a fleece and a snood, and I took advantage of all of it when I finally got to the turnaround. Sadly the nearest bench to the bridge had lost one of its two slats, so I had to perch. Bother.

Journey back was faster: less busy, tailwind, and I was scared of the dark so I hurried along. The sore hips and cramping foot were worth it!

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Couldn't get my temperature right on today's ride. Merino top over the base layer was too warm, but without the top, in the breeze, just slightly the wrong side of chilly.
Chain needs replacing and derailleur frequently operating in a different time zone to the lever. Time for a complete strip down, but it's going to be Thursday or Friday before that can be done. So it's back to my old Raleigh hybrid for commuting.
On the plus side, as dawn broke, had the pleasure of seeing an owl swooping down determined to get its mouse, even though it was only 2 - 3 metres ahead of me in the hedgerow edge and disturbing a buzzard which flew ahead to sit on a branch at eye level to watch me as I passed by. :wahhey:Never get that in a car.

Top Bottom