The 2018 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the stupid one

Über Member
Waited and waited and waited for the rain to go away, and finally set off at half past four. I followed the Wirral Circular Trail, but straightened it out here and there between Birkenhead and Eastham Ferry by staying on the main roads. I had a quick bite to eat and a drink at Eastham, and changed the angle of the saddle. Then I changed it two or three more times before I got settled again. The cut-out made a big positive difference, but my sittingbones are aching from the unfamiliar rest of it. Previously I've needed longer and more frequent breaks, so I'm happy to have only stopped once, and for only ten minutes.

At Heswall I had planned to find the route between the Wirral Way and Telegraph Road. Another partial success. I found a steep, broken track which defeated me utterly and left me walking and panting, and then I took a wrong turning and added a kilometre to the journey. Oh well.

My right foot cramped up in West Kirby, leaving me standing with a pained expression on a traffic island. I saw Chris Boardman having his photo taken there once. He looked fine.

Elysian_Roads

Too good a day not to be out on the bike, despite having a bit of a sniffle. Thought the fresh air would do me good!

Lots of riders out there today, club rides and also a fair number on the 3 counties charity ride, covering Oxfordshire, Berkshire and Buckinghamshire. Always nice to be encouraged along by the Marshals, even if you are not taking part ^_^.

Happy riding, one and all.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Nice ride out today. I am in the throes of packing so I wasn't expecting to ride as far today but I wanted to get out as I was so busy yesterday, I didn't get a break until the heavy rain set in for the day.
I rode up to Bardney, which was my loose plan but not set in stone. I carried on along the rail trail to Fiskerton Bridge and came back to Bardney by road. I had a lovey Bakewell Tart and coffee. Some folks were in there as said that they assumed that I was a regular as I wandered in, got a Bakewell and was asked the question of 'Usual?' :laugh:
I went back to Horncastle via the trail to Woodhall, up the road to Kirkby by Bain but turned off before getting there as I decided to explore a road that I had been meaning to go along for a couple of weeks. It's pretty and I might do it again next week. Back to Horncastle and home saw me at just shy of 42 miles. I have stuff to do so don't have time for the other 8 but reserve the option to do them for an imperial 50 total, later, when I get to Downham. Eric the CX lives there at the minute, so I have a bike. I'm taking PeeBee, the steel roadie with me tonight too. Gradually getting some stuff stashed at the Norfolk end.
I think that I am fitter than I thought too, which is always a good thing. Fatter than I want to be though so need to sort that out PDQ.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Back to back metric halves this weekend, with me completing a ride through the suburbs on the ITU World Triathlon Series course from Roundhay Park.
I was out with 3 triathletes so I had to work a bit harder than usual, especially as I seemed to spend a lot of time on the front...:heat:

Report already posted in the usual place.

Last edited:

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
I take it it was further than 15km ? . Launde abbey is proper hilly climb which ever way you do it

Ha ha indeed....15Km wouldn't be the return journey to Newton Harcourt......

the stupid one

Über Member
My boy rode the short version (14 km) of the Wirral Bikeathon this morning, while I drove him and his friend and two bikes to the start, waited around for them to get back then natter with their mates for forty minutes, then drove them home again. I couldn't let that go unchallenged so . . .

I'm a fair weather cyclist, and fair weather doesn't include the burning sun and mediterranean temperatures we enjoyed/suffered today. I had an afternoon siesta and went out at about half past six. The new chainset and BB are making quite a difference, unless I've had a mysterious pro-style surge of fitness. I felt good, pedalled more and coasted less, didn't stop for a break, and was still going strong when I finished.

From Woodside to Eastham the Wirral Circular Trail takes all kinds of twists and turns and tracks and side roads. I couldn't be arsed, and I wanted to get home before it got too dark, so I used the A41 for that stretch. Sunday evening traffic was light, too.

At the end of Eastham Rake I decided I was bored of the Wirral Way so I turned right and stayed on the roads, except for the always-thrilling Landican Lane.

The new saddle didn't cripple me, either. I reckon the metric century is getting closer.

the stupid one

Über Member
Me again.

MKS Lambda flat pedals arrived today, so I put them on the bike and went out for a flat fifty km. I really like the pedals: good width and fairly long - I can put the balls of my feet on the front section for a good push, or my toes on the front to allow me to stretch my foot down into the space. I always get cramp in my feet on the old (traditional metal) pedals, but not so on the Lambdas. And the grip, wearing trainers, was fine.

Stopped at Net's Café on the return journey, and looked forlornly at the empty Bara Brith container. The star behind the counter, I think it was Net herself, raised an eyebrow and a knowing smile, pulled out a fresh one from her secret cake stash, and cut me an enormous slice. Loaded with butter and accompanied by a large black americano, that hunk of cake had the robin perched at the end of the picnic table looking very envious.

Elysian_Roads

Determined to get out of an evening this week, and changes in plans meant this was the only opportunity to do it.

I took the Triban out on a test run I had fettled the rear hub after noticing the cone was loose after a previous ride. The ride seemed tougher then the recent trips out on the Cannondale so I may go back and check my handiwork on the hub. Alternatively it could just have been me!

Not as bright as yesterday evening down here but still good to get out.

Happy riding.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Hadn't planned a half century today .After last weekends epic milage and 6 days commuting and over 100 consecutive days of cycling the legs are a bit jaded .Had been invited to my neices new house for coffee 8 miles away . So out on the bike Anstey to Markfield for coffee . Headed home via some local hills got back to Anstey with 23 miles done which is just about the most I can do with out converting into a 50km .What to do, half centuryitus struck turned away from home another 10 miles and another 50km in the bag addictive isn't it ?

Top Bottom