Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
IMG_20180720_095532667.jpg
Carnac,Brittany.Only a couple of days left and back to reality !

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Quick nip out to test the new chain tugs - much better than the DMR ones
IMG_3915.JPG

delb0y

Legendary Member
Just a short one today as I overslept. So it was an 11 mile loop... up Haresfield Beacon. I've read a lot about this climb and have been putting it off, but having done the first two climbs up the Cotswold escarpment from the lane just ten minutes from my house (Harescombe 1 and Harescombe 2) today there were no more excuses.

I did it. :-) But it was tough. Just when I thought "what's all the fuss about" I came around a corner and there was a wall... It was hot out there, too, but luckily the trees met above the lane at this point so the steepest bit was in the shade. That section was one of those where you pedal and pedal and try to breathe and you look up and the summit just doesn't get any closer.

Anyway, I've read on the web that the steepest bit is 18%. Elsewhere I've read it's 25%. RwGPS and my Wahoo says I did 34.3% at one point this morning, but I don't believe that, unless it was bouncing up a kerb somewhere. I tend not to believe the website or the device - when I mapped out last week's route on RwGPS the computer said it was 1000 feet of climbing, when I got home and downloaded the route I'd (apparently) done 3000 feet. One of 'em is wrong, and it certainly didn't feel like 3000 feet. So I don't believe the 34.3% today - but it surely was steep at that one stage.

And it only gets 5/10 in Another 100 Greatest Climbs. Lord knows what a 10/10 climb would be like.

Derek

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
26 miles to Windsor this morning to pick up mini Miss CB's first mobile phone. The legs kicked off about 3 miles in, so magic tablets and a very easy ride, whilst not without it's rather painful moments, was completed with no issues.
Back home and I was assigned the task of an Aldi trip, so mini Mr CB tagged along for another 8 miles.
Not out there, probably the reason for the legs. Plan an early start tomorrow.

Tommy2

Über Member
40km before work this morning ( I was actually a few minutes late because I got to work on 38.5km so HAD to ride last to round it up to 40km)
Got a little surprised by a hill which I didn’t realise was there, went a slightly different route and took a road I didn’t know exactly, but after rounding the bend and seeing it rise up in front of me I remembered it as being the hill I came down last week twisty and steep, on the brakes all the way thinking ‘this is a long bloody down hill’ so I knew i was in for a long climb this morning which wasn’t the plan, ran some intervals last night so should have gone flat today but hey ho, I’ll take whatever training I can get at the minute.
Think I must have picked the only early morning in the last 6 weeks that has been raining, I could see the haze of rain in the distance but was drawn to it! Only light shower and not cold, jersey and skins base layer was sufficient.
Nice to be out that early again though, saw a lot of wild life, deer about 10 feet away, heron over head, scattering pheasant and partridge in the road, following a random herd of sheep in the road must have been heading back to the farm yard for their morning feed.
Now to get work out of the way and the short ride home.

Attachments

• F1DC9B26-D2E7-402F-8239-DB3DC708AC34.jpeg
    F1DC9B26-D2E7-402F-8239-DB3DC708AC34.jpeg
    98 KB · Views: 27
  • 0B05F764-C7CC-4866-B5D8-D92117390BBD.jpeg
    0B05F764-C7CC-4866-B5D8-D92117390BBD.jpeg
    80.3 KB · Views: 28

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Out on the Giant again this morning and it was noticeably cooler than of late.
So cool in fact that I stopped within half a mile of setting off to put my arm warmers on! :eek:

Anyhow, while I had half a plan to add a bit of variety to the route, it started off as most do with Coal Road, Red Hall Lane, the A58 and Whin Moor Lane to Shadwell. From there it's up to Slaid Hill lights and through the dip, onto Tarn Lane to Scarcroft and along Ling Lane back onto the A58.
Then the downhill fun starts.
The Giant is slightly lower geared than the Boardman and faced with a slight headwind I was struggling to keep things above 30mph :rolleyes:
Anyhow, silly nonsense aside, I was soon in Bardsey, then on to Collingham and over the bridge to Linton for the rollercoaster to Wetherby and up Spofforth Hill.
Down the other side and then up into Spofforth itself and across the causeway and on up the hill heading for Little Ribston.
This is a really nice lane, often virtually traffic free and it just meanders along between the fields all the way to the village.
Right and past the entrance to Ribston Hall, passing about a dozen joggers, then back into the countryside and down to Ox Close Lane for more countryside to Cowthorpe, then on again, staying on the road through Tockwith today.
At this point the sun had made an unforecast appearance and it was starting to warm up.
Through the village and the road cuts through the middle of the Marson Moor Battlefield, the site of the biggest battle ever to take place on British soil.
I stopped at the monument for a couple of pics and a bar of oaty goodness:
IMG_20180721_093409900_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180721_093618084.jpg
IMG_20180721_094333442.jpg

Back on the bike and still heading east-ish, through Hutton Wandesley and Angram where the good news is that they're resurfacing the lane between the villages which was in a shocking state. The bad news is that they seem to be doing a patchwork job of it, so there are some lovely smooth bits, and others that look like they're being left untouched...

Anyway, into Askham Richard and through the village, noticing that the duck pond seems to have shrunk by about 50% since I was last out this way.
Right at the end of the road and through Healaugh and Wighill and the drop down into Tadcaster.
Over the rebuilt bridge over the River Wharfe and through the town, stopping for a quick pic at the brewery:
IMG_20180721_103918862_HDR.jpg

Directly to the right and deliberately out of shot is the huge industrial plant where they actually make John Smiths Smooth now, but the old brewery building is much nicer to look at.
Left at the lights and over the A64 on the A162, before climbing the hill to Raw Lane and the long and mostly gently downhill descent to Ulleskelf, where I headed straight down Busk Lane passing the airport entrance and into Church Fenton.
Through the village and over the railway line onto Common Lane for the long straight to Barkston Ash, then the long way round to Saxton and along Main Street onto Cold Hill Lane, stopping for a final time at Linda's Bench for a Snickers:
IMG_20180721_112743277_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180721_112855994_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180721_113329026.jpg

Back on the bike and along to the drop into Copley Lane for the steady incline to Lotherton Gates and then right for Aberford and the ups and downs of Cattle Lane and the climb to Barwick, then on to Scholes and the drop down Leeds Road before local roads up to home with a final loop around the block to push the mileage on.

56.2 miles (90.44km) in 4h 2m at an average of 13.9mph with 2,250ft climbed and an average temperature of 18.3°C

Happy to get an Imperial Half in as it's been a while, mainly due to time constraints.
I've got a 80 mile sportive in a few weeks, so need to crank the miles up a bit.
Lots of cyclists out again today and if I'm honest it was nice it being a tad cooler than it has been.
Good to get some roads I haven't been on for a while under the wheels too, always nice to have a bit of a change.

And to end, the map:
21072018.JPG

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Just a short one today as I overslept. So it was an 11 mile loop... up Haresfield Beacon. I've read a lot about this climb and have been putting it off, but having done the first two climbs up the Cotswold escarpment from the lane just ten minutes from my house (Harescombe 1 and Harescombe 2) today there were no more excuses.

I did it. :-) But it was tough. Just when I thought "what's all the fuss about" I came around a corner and there was a wall... It was hot out there, too, but luckily the trees met above the lane at this point so the steepest bit was in the shade. That section was one of those where you pedal and pedal and try to breathe and you look up and the summit just doesn't get any closer.

Anyway, I've read on the web that the steepest bit is 18%. Elsewhere I've read it's 25%. RwGPS and my Wahoo says I did 34.3% at one point this morning, but I don't believe that, unless it was bouncing up a kerb somewhere. I tend not to believe the website or the device - when I mapped out last week's route on RwGPS the computer said it was 1000 feet of climbing, when I got home and downloaded the route I'd (apparently) done 3000 feet. One of 'em is wrong, and it certainly didn't feel like 3000 feet. So I don't believe the 34.3% today - but it surely was steep at that one stage.

And it only gets 5/10 in Another 100 Greatest Climbs. Lord knows what a 10/10 climb would be like.

Derek
Brilliant effort @delb0y . The "wall" just around the corner is the point that always gets me. I've only ever got to that point feeling like I have a chance on one occasion ..... and just as I was coming out of a zig-zag, I kangarooed it and lost control. I always give up just where the Cotswold Way crosses the road. I think this climb is beyond me. Well done that man!:notworthy::notworthy:

delb0y

Legendary Member
Brilliant effort @delb0y . The "wall" just around the corner is the point that always gets me. I've only ever got to that point feeling like I have a chance on one occasion ..... and just as I was coming out of a zig-zag, I kangarooed it and lost control. I always give up just where the Cotswold Way crosses the road. I think this climb is beyond me. Well done that man!:notworthy::notworthy:

Cheers Donger. I think gears are answer to all of these climbs. I couldn't do it on a road-bike, but on the Giant - basically a flat-bar tourer(*) - the gears are so low that it's doable. Which is one reason I bought this bike, because I hate that feeling when a climb beats me. The other thing I did was take it really easy on the lower stretches - deliberate choosing low gears even when I didn't have to so the heart-rate wasn't getting too high too soon. And lastly, I stayed in the saddle. Back when I was battling with Portway a guy at work asked if I was in or out of the saddle, and I said out - he advised to stay seated, and it worked. And continues to do so.

Cheers
Derek

(*) with low gears even for a tourer

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Got up at 5.40am and out on the bike half an hour later - had a lot to fit in today so I needed to get a short & quick ride in if I was to get one in at all. I managed the short bit (16.35 miles) but not the quick (14.1 mph).

Odd spots of rain as I trundled around but blissfully very little traffic. :smile:

One of those peculiar rides where the (modest) wind was in my face the whole way around. :wacko:

Longer ride planned for tomorrow - will try to find something photogenic to take a pic' of.

Edit: forgot to mention that my 6 year old Bibs have given up the ghost in the padding department - not good. They felt a bit iffy on the ride. Try as I might I can't get the padding to un-bunch. Trip to Evans tomorrow, if I have time, for some replacements. What dull things to have to purchase, :sad:

Last edited:

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I squeezed a quick 15 miles in this afternoon on the Wirral after entertaining my mum for the day.

Out to Willaston, past Hadlow Road and on down to Burton village. I then turned for Ledsham and Capenhurst. These are all roads I rode regularly in my teens, it brings back memories.... some good!

I then rode by my old school, not sure we were the most academic of classes but we had a giggle!

It were blowy out, a headwind at every turn. How does that work?

https://www.strava.com/activities/1718052977

Last edited:

bruce1530

Guru
Yesterday I was all set up for a challenge. Got up at 6, looked out the window, heavy rain, decided to wait until the next day.

So, today I fancied a challenge.

Got up at 6, quick breakfast, and on the road at 25 past.

Ten minutes later, I’m at Ardrossan Harbour, about to take on the “5 Ferries Challenge”.

Harbour is already busy, I go to the Calmac ticket office. I need 5 tickets for the 5 ferries. At one time, you would buy a “Hopscotch 4” and a “Hopscotch 5”, but now you can buy a “5 ferries challenge” ticket - same price. It’s a bit of a bargain at £13.80 - that’s the benefit of Road Equivalent Tariff.

IMG_2793.JPG

The 7am ferry is already busy, and the bikes are already queueing up to get on. By the time they let us on board, there were probably between 40 and 50 bikes at the back of the car deck. They’ve got portable “hanging rails” that they bring out, each one can take about a dozen bikes.

IMG_2797.JPG

Leave at 7am prompt, heading for Arran. By the time I get upstairs to the cafe, it’s busy - they must have served about 100 full breakfasts and bacon rolls!

I find a quiet corner. The crossing takes about an hour.

IMG_2794.JPG

The “Caledonian Isles” is busy, with the “top deck” in use for cars. So it takes longer than usual to unload, and bikes are last off. Just after 8, and I’m in the ferry car park, ready to start the adventure. Along with about 50 other cyclists - but the Peloton turns left, and I go right.

I love being on Arran - but this is going to be a brief visit. Next ferry is at Lochranza, 14 miles north, and it’s at half past 9. An hour and a half to do 14 miles should be fine - but there are 2 problems. The small print on the ticket says I need to be there at least 10 mins before the sailing. And there’s a great bloody hill in the way...

The first 7 miles or so are great - a flat run along the coast, and at that time the roads are pretty deserted. Then I hit the Bogouillie - the cat 3 hill. Up, slightly down, flat then up again - climbing about 200m over 5km.

I had to stop a couple of times - of course this was to take photos, not because my lungs and legs were bursting :-)

One good thing about the 5 ferries route is that each section starts and finishes at sea level, and for every big climb, there’s an equally good descent. Down to Lochranza, with about 20 mins before ferry is due to leave. Time for a quick coffee.

Spoke to 2 chaps who I had seen on the first boat, looks like we are the only ones out of the 50 that are doing the 5 ferries.

Ferry number 2 Lochranza-Claonaig - is a much more basic affair.

IMG_2799.JPG

No cafe, no shop, no comfy seats. But the best customer service you can imagine. It left dead on time at 0930, but about 100 yards out of the harbour, the engines stopped. A car had just arrived in the waiting area, and a motorbike. They took the ferry back into the harbour and let them on board, saving them an hour and a half wait.

Half an hour later, I was back on the mainland - but not a part of the mainland I recognised. From here to home, it’s 130 miles by road! I was at Claonaig, an isolated ferry terminal (not much more than a car park, a ramp and a bus shelter) at the top of the Kintyre peninsula.

Next ferry is at Tarbert, Loch Fyne, in an hour and a quarter. It’s only 10 miles away - first half is a 125m hill, after that it’s flat.

Nearing the top, I heard an ominous “ping”. A front spoke had gone. Fortunately, I’m on discs, so the wheel wobble wasn’t too inconvenient. Taped it in place to stop the rattle, then pushed on past Kennacraig to Tarbert, Loch Fyne, to await the next ferry. Met the same 2 chaps there!

Fettled the front wheel - took the spoke out and loosened the 2 adjacent ones.

The ferries are getting smaller and smaller. This one takes me from Tarbert to Portavadie, a half hour crossing.

IMG_2803.JPG

We’re still on the mainland, deep in Argyll.

Lumpy road from Portavadie across to Tignabruaich. With hindsight, I should have stopped there for something to eat, but I pressed on. After Tignabruaich, there’s another cat4 hill.

That one was sore - but once I got to the top, the view over the Kyles of Bute was incredible.

IMG_2805.JPG

You can actually see the next ferry in that photo - it’s only a mile away - but the road to get there is 12 miles long.

Ferry #4 is Colintraive-Rhubodach. The shortest crossing of the trip - I don’t think I was on the boat for more than a couple of minutes. Years ago, the local farmers used to swim their cattle across at low tide!

IMG_2806.JPG

We’re now on the isle of Bute. From here, it’s a flat 10 miles to Rothesay. As I rounded the headland, I saw the 2pm ferry just leaving.... so had an hour to get something to eat and drink.
My head was saying “Healthy food. Soup. Granola bars”. But my heart said “fish & chips” and won.

The paddle steamer “Waverley” was in harbour. Good memories - I worked on it as a teenager.

IMG_2811.JPG

Finally, caught the 3pm sailing from Rothesay to Wemyss Bay.

IMG_2812.JPG

and then a slightly anticlimactic 20 miles along the A78 to take me back to the Ardrossan ferry terminal. Bumped into the same 2 guys on most ferries, and at the last set of traffic lights before the harbour.

So, overall it was 116km cycling (Strava says different, cos I forgot to pause it on one ferry) . I was out the house from 6.30 until 1700, but less than half of that was “rolling” - the rest was on boats, or waiting for boats.

A really good day. Met lots of interesting people on the ferries.

upload_2018-7-21_19-16-19.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-21_19-16-19.jpeg
    upload_2018-7-21_19-16-19.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
A steady potter around sections of the 'Wakefield Wheel', the 'Altofts - Castleford Cycleway' & the 'Trans-Pennine Trail' this afternoon
They overlap/use same sections at points, & also with the 'Leeds Country Way' (long distance footpath around the Leeds boundaries)

I will write it up tomorrow, as I'm logging-off now, working tomorrow, so up about 05:00

postman

Legendary Member
stopping for a final time at Linda's Bench for a Snickers:

It is a couple of years since i was around that area.Is there a surname to that bench,other than just Linda,i love knowing that someone spent time enjoying a certain view.Many years ago i cycled to Burnsall and found a bench,only to find it was dedicated to someone close to me who i had worked with,it was quiet moving to talk to a bench.So does Linda have a second name.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It is a couple of years since i was around that area.Is there a surname to that bench,other than just Linda,i love knowing that someone spent time enjoying a certain view.Many years ago i cycled to Burnsall and found a bench,only to find it was dedicated to someone close to me who i had worked with,it was quiet moving to talk to a bench.So does Linda have a second name.

Hi @postman - I don't think there is a surname on the plaque, but I'll try to remember to have a look next time I'm out that way.

Top Bottom