Your ride today....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pjd57

Veteran
@bruce1530 , great post and pics from the 5 ferries.
I've not got round to doing it yet.
It's " on the list ".

The run round Arran is an all time favourite.

Out early this morning to beat the heat
39.6 miles
in 2hrs 15mins

Now for a fat-boy fry-up !!!

Screenshot (13).png

I too got out early this morning to avoid the heat and also as it’s “Baby” Doyle’s 12th birthday and we have plans this afternoon.

I thought I’d re attempt a route I did a few months ago just prior to doing the peaks and was in the midst of a nasty chest infection.

There was hardly a soul about this morning nor a breath of wind which made for pleasant riding conditions. My only observation would be the slight rain overnight resulted in the tarmac being quite sticky but that was a minor thing really.

The only other thing of note was about 2 miles in as I made my rather rapid descent down Swannington Hill I observed a copper with a speed gun shaking his head at me and gesturing me to slow down! As I wondered what he was going on about looked down at my computer I was doing about 35 in a 30.....oops!!:blush:

Once I got over that minor little issue I carried on my way along the quiet, sticky roads including another quick spell along Top Brand towards Belton and then I eased off the gas once here as it was mainly uphill for the next ten miles! One of the planned climbs I missed due to a wrong turn but I managed to compensate for that further down the road. There are a lot of closed roads along this route today and I had to divert a few times which ended up involving more climbing than was planned!

31.45 miles in 1:51, averaging 17 dead.

https://www.strava.com/activities/1719434148

https://www.relive.cc/view/1719434148

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Out for Sunday lunch at my brother's today, so I got out early and tagged 10 or so miles on to the beginning of our club ride.... which I was going to have to abandon at 10.00am. Nice to see @Dark46 at the start line for the club ride. We headed out towards the Forest of Dean via A roads until we got past Minsterworth and hung a right onto a lovely quiet lane that headed over a level crossing (a rarity around here) and through Northwood Green towards Flaxley Abbey. I said my goodbyes just before Flaxley and turned back for Westbury on Severn. Came across the great sight and sound of a steam traction engine towing a vintage wooden caravan as I crossed the the canal bridge on the A38. Despite the time constraints, I salvaged a 37 mile ride this morning, so I'm still on track for a 300 mile month and a 3,000 mile year. Looks like hot weather for the next week or so .... so enjoy your rides folks, and take plenty of drinks with you.
Cheers, Donger.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Best laid plans and all that. The intention was a 50 mile early starter to grab some squares, but an Ebay collection planned for 0830 put paid to that. Instead I had a quick 19 mile loop before collection, pausing at a local milestone.
22 July 2018 Hyde Park Corner Milestone.jpg

The eagle eyed will notice I've pimped my ride with a couple of purple Hope bits, continuing what @vickster started. The even sharper eyed will notice the broken rear mudguard bridge which led to some big rattles over the bumps. New one is in the post.

Post collection we decided on a family pedal to Laleham, so out with the tandem for me and Ms mini-CB:smile: Getting the hang of the beast now, and todays 10 miles was our longest yet. We got to 14.3mph off Staines Bridge, now that felt really fast:laugh:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Scores on the doors again another 17 miles for me. Very hot Here, with hazy parts. Lots of Sunday drivers out today. They don't go anywhere, they just drive round for a couple of hours then go home. ^_^

Gorgeous day again here. A slight headwind which was most welcome.

20180722_112054.jpg
20180722_110716.jpg
20180722_110723.jpg
20180722_110716.jpg

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
84C6AAD1-4C6C-47B1-ACAB-BA8720667F21.jpeg
C6AAEF51-DC57-4EC3-97FB-CA148CD238B4.jpeg
38D7A39E-7032-4713-9655-0B0E58950725.jpeg
7ACA5893-FF47-404C-AA4D-95104ABBEF4E.jpeg
9F69D80B-8366-4851-B465-08267A1B6303.jpeg

Wow another hot day today, it was supposed to be overcast and cloudy....not complaining!
A lovely ride out to Cawood, down the back lanes through Wistow Lordship and onto Selby town centre. Crossed the River Ouse via the swing bridge and on to Barlby picking up the Sustrans cycle route at Riccall.
Followed the cycle path to the River crossing at Naburn. Head wind now and really feeling the heat. Through Acaster Malbis, Appleton Roebuck, Bolton Percy then got caught up in the float parade for Tadcaster carnival. The road was closed so had to push my bike right through The town past all the crowds of people.
Left at John Smiths Brewery, up the hill and back home.
36.5 miles in total with an average of 16 mph. Lovely spin out.

Last edited:

TigerT

Veteran
A Bonus ride today..... x 2

I took Friday off last week as the weather forecast was for storms and heavy rain for both Saturday and Sunday, however I woke up this morning to find that, while it had definitely rained overnight, it was dry and warm.

So I decided on my normal Coffee and Cake ride to Baden and back but taking it easy on the cross country route instead of the road route. This necessitated digging the Hybrid out of the cellar as there are a lot of gravel paths on the route and while I do it on the road bike, it's a lot nicer with bigger tyres and suspension! So off we go...

4kms in it suddenly starts to get harder going and a check look at hate back wheel showed it was slowly deflating (like my mood at the time). As it was only slowly deflating, I pumped it up as hard as I could and headed home - much easier changing the tube at home than by the roadside and I wasn't far a way.

So 2nd attempt - After a change of tube for the bike and a change to long sleeves for me as ,while warm it was quite windy, I was off on my ride properly. The wind was quite gusty in places and head on all the way out. I wasn't in a hurry my legs were tired after Fridays ride, so I was happy just to plod along. Did still manage to chase down a few e-bikes though - It's a game I play to keep me amused, when you know they can only do 25kmh with assistance you know you can get them - I know.... very childish :-D. (Nothing against e-bikes though I have one myself and think it's great that it gets people out on their bikes who wouldn't cycle otherwise)

I stopped in Baden Station for my usual Coffee and Lemon Muffin which I felt were particularly well deserved after Fridays ride and the puncture this morning. Before setting out the same way on the way home. Great to be out on a day when you didn't expect it. Another 55kms onto this years total.

I always love cycling here on a Sunday - because the shops are shut, you see lots of families out travelling in convoy with a parent at either end marshalling some sometimes very randomly steering kids!

Here are a couple of photos
d%GwxrqsQlO9sq3PtulICQ.jpg

There are a lot of unusual fountains around - This is my favourite
WfPEC+b0TqyW45awWdr%FA.jpg

My hybrid, now in desperate need of a wash. She doesn't get used very often, but I still love her.

13 rider

Guru
After 2 weeks on holiday in Cornwall during which I rode every day did 422 miles with 39000ft of upness :surrender:. I was finally back on local roads . Every ride in Cornwall started with a 1 mile 250ft climb ,today I past that elevation at 6 miles :rolleyes: the legs thanked me for it . Anstey ,Rothley ,Quorn ,Woodhouse ,Swithland ,Rothley ,Anstey . A quick 16.7 miles with 800ft of elevation which by recent rides is pan flat the average of 18.6mph was a pleasant surprise in Cornwall I struggled to get over 14.5mph . Really enjoyed the ride all the climbing in Cornwall was slowly eating away at my mojo it's beautiful down there but far from ideal for cycling .

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Awoke this morning having developed a sore throat and hacking cough overnight :sad: but the weather was too good to waste, so set off anyway on the Giant.
The guess-casters had predicted a grey, overcast day, but it was gloriously sunny with blue sky and just a few fluffy white clouds.

Coal Road, then to keep things simple onto Skeltons Lane and the long descent down Sandhills into Thorner.
Along Main Street and onto Milner Lane for the climb up onto the ridge, passing cyclists, dog walkers and joggers all heading down the hill (never seen it so busy!), but by the time I'd reached the top I was huffing and puffing like no-ones business.
Plans for a metric half were binned and the ride became an extended pootle.
Anyway, along between the hedges with a weird breeze - one moment it would be swirling round, the next it would drop completely and the temperature soared every time it did this.
Right onto Holme Farm Lane and along to Jewitt Lane where I turned north and headed into even quieter countryside.
Just as the lane starts to drop down towards Collingham I turned left onto Compton Lane and back onto the ridge, gently climbing to start and then when the road starts to drop getting just enough of a headwind to let me know it was there.
IMG_20180722_100926012_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180722_101020914_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180722_101116341_BURST001-EFFECTS.jpg

After a brief stop at the bench I carried on towards East Rigton, but took the tight turn back onto Bramham Lane.
There was a 'Road Closed' sign right on the 'V' of the junction and it wasn't clear which road it referred to - Compton Lane had clearly been OK as I'd just ridden down it and there had been no signs at the other end of Bramham Lane when I'd crossed it earlier, so I carried on.
Well, what's the worst that could happen? ^_^
Along the deserted lane and about half way down it was clear that some half hearted road repairs had been going on - it's been desperately needed for months but the quality was shocking and it was a messy patchwork of bits here and there. Round the 'S'-bend and this carried on right out to Jewitt Lane, but it was such a nice day that I decided to go round again!
This time I stopped half way along for a couple more pics of the glorious scenery
IMG_20180722_102608546_BURST000_COVER.jpg
IMG_20180722_102704102.jpg

IMG_20180722_102527675.jpg

Back on the road and repeated the route onto Compton Lane, but carried on through Rigton Green, taking the left to loop up onto Holme Farm Lane and then Milner Lane to reverse the run back into Thorner.
Into the village and back out again onto Carr Lane (the least worst option) for the up, down and more up to the A58.
A brief stint along there, up Coal Road and onto local roads to home, enlivened when a motorised numpty simply had to push through one of the traffic calming chicanes despite me having right of way. :dry:

19.18 miles (30.86km) in 1h 32m at an average of just 12.4mph with 902ft climbed and an average temperature of 23.2°C

Again, in that sunshine it felt an awful it warmer. I think this must be one of my slowest rides on a road bike in a long time, but it was just good to get out even if I'm not feeling 100%. It would have been nice to have done a bit more, but I think I judged it about right and they all count don't they?
Lots of cyclists out unsurprisingly, and who can blame them this weather?

And to end, the map, complete with totally incorrect weather symbol... :
22072018.JPG

Last edited:

Dark46

Veteran
As @Donger said I was out with the KCC this morning I nearly never made as I struggled to find the garage handle.

The weather forecast was hot but it does really feel it until you stop , then it hits you.

To be honest I wasn't really looking forward to it as it was the forest so it meant some hills would be taken in at some point. But the good thing is if you go up at some stage you have to come back down somewhere.

Today there was a good turnout of over 20 people we so split into 2 groups before we left. As usual @Donger was sat there chatting with the group. He said he would have to turn around early.

So it was the usual way out of Gloucester and on the A48 towards Chepstow. This next part I wasn't looking forward to as it was here I came off about 2 years on gravel and as we weren't turning off at Oakle Street the chances of a repeat performance were slim luckily.

We turned off at the next road towards Flaxley Hill and Abbey. It was aling here @Donger had to turn around and said his goodbyes.This I've only done the other way and wasn't looking forward to the climb. We were warned about the limb at the bottom by Mike but it wasn't as bad sack expected. I hope it means that I'm improving. I don't like hills but @Donger s advice (as I've said before)" forget about everybody elsecpick a pace you are comfortable with and stick to it." Brilliant advice and something that has never let me down. Cheers bud.!

As I said if you go up you've got to go down . At the brow there was a school that was open and a few people refilled their water bottles here with cooled water. From here thete was a short steep decline down into Mitcheldene.
Here we turned left downhill where I touched 40 mph , there then was a short incline beforw heading ddown again into Longhope. As I was speeding up and touching 32mph I heard a shout off "we are stopping here!" My discs certainly complained as I slammed them on wondering if I was going to stop in time. With luck and my discs screaming no more I was able to turn in time.

It was here at Hope Barn that I enjoyed a large black coffee and bacon sarnie on grannery. I told the assistant I would be outside collapsed!

From here it downhill into Little London and Huntley, then towards Tanyton then on and back to Gloucester.

As always a great ride with great company as the social group has a great bunch of people.

My ride ended up being 35.9 miles at a average of 14mph of which I'm really pleased and now looking forward to next week. Next week will be my 75th ride with the club and I'm hoping to be heading south from the estate.
Screenshot_20180722-165134_Strava.jpg

Top Bottom