The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Yes, well I truly can't ride a bicycle in six inches of snow or -5 degrees Fahrenheit so I most likely won't qualify for a bronze star.
Here's hoping for a weather window in January for you .

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Sometimes I get one, sometimes not. February much more problematic. But we've had a very cold October, November, and December. I'm hoping for the weather to moderate in January. Last year we weren't all that cold in winter, but coat weather hung on until the first week in June. Illinois weather will not be categorized or characterized. It will do as it pleases. We once went out for a bike ride, as kids in the 1970's, and saw, once we were well out of town, some fog along the horizon. It was not a warm day, but rideable. But as the fog got closer, it also got colder. That's because it wasn't fog, but snow. Luckily we beat it for home, and got there just as the big flakes were falling. From the lower 50's to below freezing and snow, in less than an hour.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yes, well I truly can't ride a bicycle in six inches of snow or -5 degrees Fahrenheit so I most likely won't qualify for a bronze star.
Pah - that's just an excuse!

Mind you, it is an exceedingly good excuse... :cold::whistle::laugh:

I'm sure that someone will be along shortly to tell you to buy a fatbike, stud the tyres, and wear 13 layers of cycle kit to keep warm but I definitely would NOT be cycling in those conditions!

The new Annual Lunacy Challenge should be perfect for you!

kapelmuur

Veteran
So @steverob post got me thinking, having been in the challenge from the start 48 months completed ,have I done half a century of half centuries in a row ? The answer is probably , I started cycling in Sept 2014 and fairly soon got to 50km distance but I didn't keep records back then and didn't run Strava so cant prove it . Therefore I won't count it so hopefully Feburarys ride will get me to the landmark .

This made me look back on my spreadsheet (I'm a bit of a stats nerd), I started cycling regularly in summer 2013 but I didn't know about the challenge until 2016. According to my spreadsheet I've done at least 1 x 50km ride every month since January 2014, so that's 60 months worth.

I'll try to keep the old legs turning for another 12 months of the challenge.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
This made me look back on my spreadsheet (I'm a bit of a stats nerd), I started cycling regularly in summer 2013 but I didn't know about the challenge until 2016. According to my spreadsheet I've done at least 1 x 50km ride every month since January 2014, so that's 60 months worth.

I'll try to keep the old legs turning for another 12 months of the challenge.
Well done @kapelmuur that's a good run . Keep it going

kapelmuur

Veteran

I'm old enough to remember the UK winter of 1962/63 when the temperatures were below freezing for over 2 months. I had a paper round and had to walk it as the roads were too dangerous to cycle.

Another winter like that and non of us will be able to complete the challenge, although global warming makes it unlikely we'll ever see another 'big freeze'.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I'm old enough to remember the UK winter of 1962/63 when the temperatures were below freezing for over 2 months. I had a paper round and had to walk it as the roads were too dangerous to cycle.

Another winter like that and non of us will be able to complete the challenge, although global warming makes it unlikely we'll ever see another 'big freeze'.
I remember seeing pictures of your big freeze in a book called Railways by C Hamilton Ellis, very nice photography and good coverage of the topic, centering on Great Britain, the colonies, and dominions of that period. A fine volume. I may have contributed to the library at University.

steverob

Guru

You've just pipped me then!

I got back on my bike in August 2013 after a 18 month-or-so hiatus, but also didn't manage a 50km ride until January 2014. However I then didn't do one in the February (intended to, but had a mechanical 25 miles into what should have been a 40 miler), so that broke my streak at 1! I have then done one each month since March 2014, which is why I'm only on 57 - will be 58 once I officially complete this month's challenge.

C R

Guru
I'm in for the metric half challenge. Being new to the challenge I am not sure how it works. Do we just report the ride in this thread? Sorry if it is explained elsewhere, my search didn't seem to turn up anything.

Top Bottom