The 2019 Half Century a month Challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ice2911

Über Member
Early monthly update as its an important month . We have 29 riders fully posted up which leaves 8 riders with rides up to December . A nudge for @ColinJ ,@Spinney ,@Katherine ,@StuartG ,@Chris Doyle ,@Rob and Alison ,@lane and @Ice2911 . Still missing a November and December ride for @demro
Here is my 50 metric and 50 imperial, also completed my imperial century. Just a metric century to do

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Chugging out some extras as I'm supposed to be doing Festive 500. Very damp 50 miles on Monday and a fairly damp 50km this afternoon. both rides I went up to Bristol Airport and experienced the planes coming in thick and fast (for Bristol anyway!) I made myself time trial up and down a 1.5km stretch close to home to round up to 50km to claim an extra point. Might make all the difference by New Year's Eve! Working tomorrow so need the 100km plus ones Saturday on. Then I can claim metric as well. :wacko:

kapelmuur

Veteran
It's been said many times that the challenge is a great motivator, certainly applies to be as I'm basically lazy and don't like riding in the cold and wet. If not for the challenge I doubt if I'd see my bike between November and March.

However, I wanted to get to 4,000 miles for the year and was just 31miles, or 50km, short so I was determined to get out this morning despite the wet roads and chilly drizzle. Glad I did as I clocked up my 101st point and got to 4001 miles for the year!

Thanks to @13 rider for all you do.

Domus

Guru
Done and dusted for the year. With the wind forecast to be from the South I cycled to Irlam Station for lunch into the wind which meant a very nice ride back home with a little helping hand.
Final stats are 81 rides, 5,617 Kms and 101 points.

All starting again on Wednesday, should get off the mark with a two pointer on the NYD forum ride to Dunham. 👍

steverob

Guru
Chalked up my 59th point today - hoping to get out on New Year's Eve for a 60th (got to love a round number), but we'll have to see.

Having spent most of December Zwifting, either because of poor weather conditions or a horrific run of punctures - including one where I actually had to buy a new tyre because it looked like it had been attacked by Freddy Kruger - it was good to finally get back outdoors and on the road again.

Chose a 50km loop around my home town that mainly concentrated on quieter roads and cycleways and kept fairly flat; my aim was to trial this route with (if it went well) it becoming an option to add to my regular routes, especially for those days in the future where I really don't fancy going far from home - there were certainly three or four spots around the ride where I could easily bail and be home within ten minutes. As it was, I didn't need any of them and completed the ride without any incident at all. Even managed a few PRs towards the end, though I figure that had more to do with the wind direction than any great effort on my part!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Final qualifying ride for the year done a nice imperial half century taking my total points up to 134 . The first year of my 5 completions I haven't increased my points total but I did do a bonkers 150 points last year I suppose you can't keep doing more and more
See you all in 2020

Slick

Guru
Did my new usual go to Sunday route to Kilmarnock today with my brother but if I'm honest I really wish I stayed at home. I knew I wasn't feeling quite right with some sort of stomach bug and thought about cancelling but I knew he was looking forward to it, so thought I'd give it a go as it's one of those that comes at you in waves. The cafe stop was 30 odd miles in and I was feeling okay but for some reason I was starving and couldn't resist eating more than I should off which made the last 20 tougher than they needed to be. I also got involved with a bit of road rage, and I wish I hadn't, despite 2 cars coming at me on my side of the road, shaking their head at me as if I was in the wrong. I think they thought I could stop on a sixpence for them to get through but I was travelling and my back brake locked and I was left with nowhere to go. I still should have just carried on my way, but it was the shaking the head but that really done me in. Real shame as I now feel as if I'm ending the year on a downer and up until now this challenge has been nothing but positive. Bring on the 2020 challenge.

Just doing some thread housekeeping ,I appear to have miscounted and we only have 35 finishers so far not 36 as stated .
We still have 3 undeclared riders with rides posted up to Nov so emergency nudge for @Katherine ,@StuartG and @Chris Doyle
And still not sure about @demro who has yet to post a Nov and Dec ride
Job done @13 rider, December and indeed 2019’s 50k a month challenge now completed. Finished on 37 points.
Snuck out this morning on a little pre-planned route to get some straggly veloviewer squares that had been eluding me for months so killed two birds with one stone and not only got the squares but also the distance needed to get the job done.

Well done to everyone who completed the challenge and look forward to seeing you all in 2020’s challenge!

Top Bottom