The 2022 Half Century (50km or 50M) a month challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
June done.

Set out on a long overdue planned route up to Newark and heading back through Southwell and Nottingham. Wall to wall sunshine, great cake game, little to no wind, relaxed pace……just perfect really!

As always when riding through towns and cities average speed always tanks due to cycle lanes, traffic and junctions but then I wasn’t in a hurry in any case!

Dehydration set in with about 7 miles left to go and I literally had to stop to alleviate the leg cramps I was getting! Looking down at my jersey that was covered in salt from my constant sweating and hovering over the button on my phone ready to contact Wife’s taxi for a local pickup, I composed myself and instead cracked on the last stages of the ride. Temptation to push on to get the 100 miler was quickly dissipated and I got home having done 12 miles short of target, in 5 and a half hours ish. Still a great ride all the same!
E5F910A5-A164-4922-84D3-7F36BECCBC40.jpeg

A7DA3B94-29F7-4623-88BA-C664BB774A45.jpeg

650A8E37-5FD0-4AE8-BE01-001D2378F3E6.jpeg

A2A876D7-141B-4664-932D-A3AF8DA7F0BC.jpeg

C8C207F7-3EB0-4E8F-BEE2-6DCDCA8610F6.jpeg

Attachments

• 4CE8D9E9-B02A-4636-8ABE-23F580AD3D4D.jpeg
    4CE8D9E9-B02A-4636-8ABE-23F580AD3D4D.jpeg
    179 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
It doesn’t sit well I’ll admit but in real time I can only rely on my GPS! I always end up adjusting the elevation as that’s always way off but I never realised the distance was too! Lesson learned…..
If you are happy it's 50 miles then I'm prepared to let it stand . As you say you can only go on what your head unit says while out riding . If you had not upload to Strava you and us would only have the head unit reading as a measure . Strava is not a requirement n the challenge and people measure thier rides in different ways and there will be discrepancies in accuracy in these methods so the riders decision in cases this close is good enough for me
This doesn't mean everyone can post 30 and bit miles rides and claim points ! and I will still watch out for people not doing that bit extra to get to the next point I've not gone completely soft

Last edited:
If you are happy it's 50 miles then I'm prepared to let it stand . As you say you can only go on what your head unit says while out riding . If you had not upload to Strava you and us would only have the head unit reading as a measure . Strava is not a requirement n the challenge and people measure thier rides in different ways and there will be discrepancies in accuracy in these methods so the riders decision in cases this close is good enough for me
This doesn't mean everyone can post 30 and bit miles rides and claim points ! and I will still watch out for people not doing that bit extra to get tongue next point I've not gone completely soft
the funny thing was I was on 49.7 when I got back to the car so I thought I’d squeeze down the lane and turn back to get over the line. So I did endeavour to get that extra bit and it was still contentious as to whether I got it! I’m happy to count it this time on that basis but as you said on my strava don’t rely on that and wahoo to sync perfectly…… rest assured next time I’ll take it to 50.1 or more to remove all doubt! 😉

Last edited:

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
not doing that bit extra to get tongue
Ohh, Matron! ^_^

• Laugh
Reactions: C R

AndreaJ

Veteran
Our planned longer ride this morning has been postponed until next week due to the awful weather in Shropshire earlier today ☹️, after the torrential rain eased off to just rain I decided to go on a shorter ride instead, 53km in the rain which as it wasn’t cold or windy was actually better than it sounds 😊

steverob

Guru
It doesn’t sit well I’ll admit but in real time I can only rely on my GPS! I always end up adjusting the elevation as that’s always way off but I never realised the distance was too! Lesson learned…..
If there's a discrepancy between your GPS and Strava, you can always tell Strava to use your GPS's distance and not its own calculation. You need to click on the three dots icon in your activity and then choose Correct Distance (or at least that's what I've been told this option for). If it still leaves you with less than 50km, I think you can undo it and go back to what you had before.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I shall quietly celebrate completing my June metric half today without having been given the hurry up by the boss:okay:
Didn't know they've shut the rat run through Bushey Park, so much nicer to ride across without any cars, hopefully they do the same at Richmond Park next. I wonder if it has to do with it being deer mothering season.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

the funny thing was I was on 49.7 when I got back to the car so I thought I’d squeeze down the lane and turn back to get over the line. So I did endeavour to get that extra bit and it was still contentious as to whether I got it! I’m happy to count it this time on that basis but as you said on my strava don’t rely on that and wahoo to sync perfectly…… rest assured next time I’ll take it to 50.1 or more to remove all doubt! 😉

I must admit I find myself now, going to 50.1 or at least 31.3 miles, whereas in teh past if i'd go home on 30.1 miles that would have been fine

Top Bottom