The 2022 Half Century (50km or 50M) a month challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
Used the car to get to a different start position, for a shortish ride around the Petworth area. Immediately noticed how mucky the minor roads and lanes are after the weekend storms, lots of debris, bits of branches and more surprisingly, hundreds of chestnuts. It's quite a lumpy area and normally the descents are quite fast, not today though, simply too many obstacles!
Noticed this warning regarding drunkeness outside the old rectory in Kirdford. Looks as if a past rector had quite a downer on alcohol!
IMG_20221025_122500651_BURST000_COVER.jpg

It rained on and off throughout the ride, not enough to bother with full waterproofs, a showerproof gilet was sufficient.
Brooding skies near Northchapel.

IMG_20221025_104631757_BURST000_COVER.jpg

A good hour spent cleaning the bike post ride, must remember to re-fit the mudguards this weekend.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
October round up time and last weekend warning for some
We have 31 riders fully posted up . Which leaves 5 on the nudge list so a gentle nudge for @Sbudge ,@Bazzer ,@PatrickPending ,@Chap sur le velo and @FrothNinja
Well done everyone

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

bruce1530

Guru
A trip to Moscow today.

Didn't see Mr Putin - this was the other Moscow.
1667056395607.png

(pronounced "moss-cow", as in the green plant and the farmyard animal... with the emphasis on the COW)

Once I got there, headed up a farm road to catch a veloviewer square. It was a road that headed towards a little man-made reservoir, and there was a sign "Trout fishery...Outdoor Centre...clay pigeon shooting ....archery..."
And a little sign below that said "cafe open sat & sun".

So, looking for the cafe, I followed the road. Arrived at the place - friendly people, nice setting. I asked at reception where the cafe was - they pointed at a kettle, a jar of instant coffee, and a box of tea bags. "We've got a proper coffee machine, but it's broke..."

Anyway - cup of coffee for a pound, sat and watched the world go by for 10 mins, then back home. Trip home was much easier than outwards - look at the profile to see why!

1667057013892.png

Last edited:

FrothNinja

Veteran
A trip to Moscow today.

Didn't see Mr Putin - this was the other Moscow.
View attachment 666247

(pronounced "moss-cow", as in the green plant and the farmyard animal... with the emphasis on the COW)

Once I got there, headed up a farm road to catch a veloviewer square. It was a road that headed towards a little man-made reservoir, and there was a sign "Trout fishery...Outdoor Centre...clay pigeon shooting ....archery..."
And a little sign below that said "cafe open sat & sun".

So, looking for the cafe, I followed the road. Arrived at the place - friendly people, nice setting. I asked at reception where the cafe was - they pointed at a kettle, a jar of instant coffee, and a box of tea bags. "We've got a proper coffee machine, but it's broke..."

Anyway - cup of coffee for a pound, sat and watched the world go by for 10 mins, then back home. Trip home was much easier than outwards - look at the profile to see why!

View attachment 666248

The Duncow has wandered down to near Dumfries

FrothNinja

Veteran
Just finished my monthly ride by riding within spitting distance of home for the whole distance - staggeringly bored with the views now. The reasons for doing this were manifold. It meant I got the ride in is spite of the incipient rain as at the moment I believe I am made of sugar at wanted to avoid the precipitation. This was partially justified by trying to see if I could leave the house and do a half century with minimal climbing. I did it with only 24 metres ascent. To be honest, getting wet would have alleviated the boredom. I did take a break at 43 miles to nip down to a cyclejumble - that wasn't scintillating other but at least the people I met were civil.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Finished October with four more Qualifying rides and pleasd to be still in the challenge after 10 months. One of the reasons I joined in this year was to encourage me to do some longer rides, as a result I’ve seen some new places and done some different routes. The roads and hills northeast of Kendal have been a revelation as in a different way was my flat route to Lytham St Anne’s.

Now nervous about November as the first half looks full of family events so I hope the weather plays ball later in the month. Well done to all still in the game!

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Leving it a bit late - 0/10/22 51Km Blaby -Countesthorpe - Wiloughby Waterlys - Ashby Magna - Broughton - Frolesworth - Ullesthorpe - Ashby Magna - Dunton Bassett - Gilmorton -Walton -Upper Bruntingthorpe - Bruntingthorpe - Peatling Magna- Countesthorpe - South Wigston - Blaby

so that's this month's done. Not bad but bit of a headwind for the first 25km

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I'll get my disclaimer in early. :whistle: I won't be up for an early November posting as I'm just recovering from my first (and hopefully, only) bout of COVID. It's left a nagging cough that comes out of nowhere and is downright debilitating, but hope springs eternal - there's lots of days in the month!

kapelmuur

Veteran
I set off after lunch today planning to complete the challenge ride for this month. Quite mild and sunny, looked promising.
Within 30 minutes I was scuttling home trying to escape a hailstorm.
Oh well, maybe try again later this week.

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
Joined the midweek group ride to get a November qualifier in. It was a tale of two halves - an almost effortless eerily quiet outward leg, travelling at the speed of the tailwind?, followed by a post cafe stop absolute battering in vicious side and head winds. I'm not sure we should really have been out in it. Anyway 48 miles and November underway.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Joined the midweek group ride to get a November qualifier in. It was a tale of two halves - an almost effortless eerily quiet outward leg, travelling at the speed of the tailwind?, followed by a post cafe stop absolute battering in vicious side and head winds. I'm not sure we should really have been out in it. Anyway 48 miles and November underway.
2 miles short of another point ,I'm disappointed

Top Bottom