The 2022 Half Century (50km or 50M) a month challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
September's done with 2 qualifying rides at the weekend

17/9/22 52Km Blaby -Countesthorpe - Wiloughby waterlys - Ashby Magna - Ashby Parva - Gilmorton - Walcote - Kimcote - Gilmorton - -Walton -Upper Bruntingthorpe - Bruntingthorpe - Peatling Magna- Countesthorpe - South Wigston - Blaby

18/9/22 63Km Blaby - Countesthorpe - Wiloughby Waterlys - Ashby Magna- Ashby Parva- Frolesworth - Claybrooke Parva - Monks Kirby - Claybrooke Parva -Ullesthorpe- Ashby Parva - Dunton Bassett - Ashby Magna - Wiloughby Waterlys - Countesthorpe - Blaby

Did a 15k run on the morning of the 17th so the Saturday one was hard work...hadn't recovered for the Sunday ride either haha

Got out again today for a meet up with my Nuneaton Velo chums and had a ride up to more local settings today uncovering a hidden gem of a cafe! Countless times I’ve been past it and never knew it existed until today. Bacon butty and giant mug of tea for £3.50- what a bargain!

Oh the ride? Rode down to Upton to meet with the lads and then back north to Rosliston and the gem that is Caz’s Cafe, then heading back and peeling off from the lads at Snarestone by which point I was on 44.5 miles. I knew heading directly home would have been just under 50 miles and a stern telling off from @13 rider 🤣 so I tweaked it a little to get over the line. Smidge under 52 miles in roughly 3 hours dead, cracking ride out 👍

AndreaJ

Veteran
An eventful group ride this morning, with hedge cutting season in full swing we had 3 punctures in the first 5 miles!! As we like living dangerously the next 25 miles were done with just one inner tube left between 5 of us ( luckily it was mine ) 😂although we were heading in the right direction to make a detour to my house to collect more if necessary. Several comedy “ how many men does it take to get a tyre off” moments made up for the standing around getting cold though.
I now have 2 spare tubes in my bag just in case. It might also be a not quite long enough sort of distance😊

T4tomo

Legendary Member
An eventful group ride this morning, with hedge cutting season in full swing we had 3 punctures in the first 5 miles!! As we like living dangerously the next 25 miles were done with just one inner tube left between 5 of us ( luckily it was mine ) 😂although we were heading in the right direction to make a detour to my house to collect more if necessary. Several comedy “ how many men does it take to get a tyre off” moments made up for the standing around getting cold though.
I now have 2 spare tubes in my bag just in case. It might also be a not quite long enough sort of distance😊

The last time I had one of "those" rides, I was applying patches to the "thorned" tubes at the cafes stop so we still had spares for the return leg, which obviously avoided the hedge trimmed lane in question, and thankfully no more incidents.

Domus

Guru
Five day Cheshire tour completed today. Five points collected so quite pleased with my September total.
I used my GM Transport pass for the train from Bolton to the airport on Monday and back again today.
The route was to Northwich, Harmer Hill, Oswestry, Chester and back to the airport. We stayed in Premier Inns and had very nice coffee stops and lunches. All very pleasant and easy going as befits gentlemen of a certain age. We had two poignant moments when we scattered the ashes of our dear friend Dr John at two of his special places. Next year we will remember John with a similar trip but perhaps a week or two earlier.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Well done to @cosmicbike first poster of an October ride ( surprised me lol)
I'm also off the mark for October with a just enough 31.2 mile ride out to Ragdale and back .After last month's poor return of just 3 rides trying harder this month .
Also I've noted on Strava that @tallliman is off the mark as well he may update the threads at some point

kapelmuur

Veteran

I have become an enthusiast for tubeless following multiple punctures during the thorn hedge cutting season. After one ride last spring I counted 5 tell tale sealant stains which would have been punctures on a tubed tyre.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I would have been tempted to go for first past the post for October, but a) I forgot, and b) when I remembered, I was still suffering from the over-indulgence of the night before. :whistle: So I went out today.
Due to some roadworks, that were a pain to negotiate, I decided to alter my route. It seems to have been recorded on Strava as if it's a child's scribbling in crayon ...
1664718014997.png

And I did stop for a pic.

1664718070928.jpeg

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
02/10/22 Ellesmere-Tetchill-Hordley-Queens Head-West Felton-Woolston-Osbaston-Knockin-Kinnerley-Maesbrook-Llanymynech-Llansanffraidd ym Mechan-Llangedwyn-Pen Y Bont-Maesbury -Babbinswood-Whittington-Ellesmere 78km. 1 point
Total 76 points
Did you hope posting the distance in Kms I wouldn't notice you've done just over 48 miles and not 50 miles . Tut tut ,I'm disappointed in you :okay:

AndreaJ

Veteran
Did you hope posting the distance in Kms I wouldn't notice you've done just over 48 miles and not 50 miles . Tut tut ,I'm disappointed in you :okay:
It was only supposed to be 42 miles but after being dragged up a big Welsh hill it was suggested that while we are here we may as well do another one to admire the lovely view! ( which I suspect was the plan all along! ) I hate climbing big hills🤣. I was already home when I noticed the mileage 😊

I have become an enthusiast for tubeless following multiple punctures during the thorn hedge cutting season. After one ride last spring I counted 5 tell tale sealant stains which would have been punctures on a tubed tyre.
After glass cut my tyre today, I'm debating tubeless. I know it won't help with those cuts in the tyre itself but I guess it might just stop the actual punctures.

Top Bottom