The 2022 Half Century (50km or 50M) a month challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Set out for a Sunday social with the Nuneaton crew yesterday, my first ride in three weeks due to work and recovering from a dose of that bat flu that’s going round…..🙄

…setting off around 0900 in beautiful sunshine with no wind we rolled eastwards through some beautifully quiet lanes with barely a car in sight until we crossed the A5 between Lutterworth and Rugby. It got a little busy as we rolled through Stanford on Avon due to an event so we had to carefully negotiate narrow lanes, pedestrians and traffic from all directions but no sooner had we encountered all that, it was quiet again. Rocked up at a cafe just outside North Kilworth which looked more like an antiques shop! A coffee and bacon butty later we headed off via more quiet lanes back toward Nuneaton, just shy of 56 miles on our return. It was an unknown how I’d fare given my brush with bat flu but the pace was steady and I coped ok.

Another cracking ride out. 👍

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
ok leaving it a bit late - also been a while since I did a ride longer than 10k (3rd of July in fact) but had to take advantage of it being nice and not too hot and not too windy to do one of my favorite rides out to Fotheringhay yesterday (28/8) :-

150Km Blaby -Wigston - Newton Harcourt - Great Glen - Houghton on the Hill - Ingarsby - Cold Newton (first time Ive done the hill up from there for a while) - Tilton on the Hill - Loddington -Belton -Stockerston -Stoke Dry - Lyddington - Seaton - Harringworth - Laxton - Blatherwycke - Bulwick - Southwick - Fotheringhay - Nassington - Apethorpe - King's Cliffe- Blatherwycke - Laxton - Harringworth - Lyddington - Stoke Dry - Horningbole - Hallaton - Cranoe - Tur Langton - Kibworth Harcourt - Wistow - Kilby - Foston - Peatling Magna - Countesthorpe - Blaby - Phew

Lots of 10% plus climbs but rather nice!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Different start point for me today . I had volunteered to drop a relative off at Stansted airport which meant driving home via The A14 which is roughly my southern edge of my veloviewer square ( those for do it will know ). So took the bike with me and on the way back parked in the village of Maidwell in Northamptonshire,explored the local villages and generally invading @biggs682 territory and going through some of the village he visited on Sunday . Then picked up the Brampton way old railway line slightly rough for my road bike . But made it make to Maidwell with 38 miles in the bag .Got the veloviewer squares I wanted then drove home . Got home pretty tired after getting up at silly o clock

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
Back in the game!
I was awoken quite early (for me:whistle:), and since I'd already decided to get this month's ride in, got up.
Not quite a sunrise pic - it was about 8 o'clock - but I detoured along this lane beside The Deben just for a possible shot like this.

IMG_3333.jpg

footloose crow

Über Member
September done!
Got a ride in yesterday - without clocking it was 1 September. No more pressure this month now. 108km and 1600m.

Left Truro in sunshine and wriggled around the lanes, couldn't avoid St Austell unfortunately and arrived in Fowey to take the ferry across the river.

D40C5D6C-7996-42FF-B163-78FA07C416CF_1_201_a.jpeg

More hills, up and down and up and down again. No mercy shown by the terrain and included two hills of more than 15% and so through to Lostwithiel and then to Lanhydrock House NT tearoom. Home from there was significantly flatter, thank goodness, although by then it was raining. First rain for a couple of weeks.

253D1643-62D2-4B5F-99D2-E6A212680F78_1_201_a.jpeg

Ridgeback Roller

Über Member
Finished off August and first few days of September with a camper van/cycling mini break in Mid Wales. Took my tourer as I was hoping to use a few of the sustrans routes and bridle ways/drover routes. Had a couple of long rides out from my base Rhayader.
Water levels in the upper Elan valley reservoirs were the lowest I've ever seen them.
IMG_20220831_104646694_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Continued along the mountain road towards Aberystwyth. Had a quick look around the abandoned metal works at Cwmystwyth.
IMG_20220831_114700157_BURST001.jpg

Decided to risk the off road section through the Pendre estate - 1st few mile lovely gravel roads, after that typical sustrans narrow and slightly overgrown.
IMG_20220831_121008659_BURST000_COVER.jpg

Another day , on RN 8 to Llangurig , en route to Llanidloes and another BCQ answer
IMG_20220902_105522016_BURST000_COVER.jpg

footloose crow

Über Member
Technically I off the mark for September as I rode 100km this morning but have posted it the the metric century thread and I like to do different rides for each challenge . A week away will limit my chances so my first 50km ride is likely to include lots of Cornish hills

I can suggest some nice hilly routes! RWGPS has all of mine.

Been to St Mawes? King Harry ferry makes it a nice route.

F1418E22-FA63-4006-9590-AD11D58EDD2D_1_201_a.jpeg

1693F50D-A1C4-4004-AFCB-AD5EDE60F268_1_201_a.jpeg

6F5CAAE8-A74A-41DE-9E61-D94AE2C39352_1_201_a.jpeg

footloose crow

Über Member
Everyone now posted up for August ,36 of us still in the game and a flying start to September with 16 riders (17 including me) already posted a ride
@footloose crow you mean there are flat routes in Cornwall ?? . Staying at the coast ever ride starts with a 250ft climb of which 175ft is in the first 0.5 mile

Try the Lizard - a lot of its flat-ish if you stay away from the coast. Or Truro - Ladock valley- Indian Queens- Goss Moor - Lanhydrock is virtually flat, less than 350m over 35k.

But yes...Cornwall does have a lot of corrugations and starting at sea level won't help. Have fun next week ; I am heading out of Cornwall for some flatter places!

Top Bottom