The 2022 Half Century (50km or 50M) a month challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I had my worst July since lock down. Lots of stuff going on, so barely managed 110ish miles :sad:. August isn't looking much better :wacko:
Still 110 miles more than most . Strange how sometimes the months with the nicest weather and longest day times hours can the the most difficult to get out and ride as there's so much other stuff going on

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
So, I'm done and apparently late getting the first post in! :whistle:
At Kirton, a rider flashed by going in the opposite direction who yelled "Mr George!" I found myself yelling back "@Jenkins!" and immediately felt like I'd been transported into Public School culture. This would come under the heading A Very British Problem.
I did stop at Felixstowe (not my home town ^_^) and took this pic.

IMG_3197.jpg

Monthly recap time and last weekend warning . We have 32 riders fully posted up leaving 4 for the nudge list . So a gentle prob to @Sbudge ,@slow scot ,@Gibbo9 and @Chap sur le velo

Thanks for the nudge. After nearly a month off the bike (first 2 weeks on a tiny island and then CoVid) I managed to get a few on the board with a lovely week up in Nortumberland. Wonderful riding up there!

One more point today on our last ride in Switzerland before heading home, another alpine climb- 10km @ approximately 4% avg up to the ski resorts Sainte-Croix and Bullet followed by a wonderful descent near the lake at Grandson we were at yesterday. As luck would have it, the GPS unit turned to 31.1 miles exactly as I hit the junction of the drive of the accommodation we were staying in! It’s been a great trip and many memories made for sure!

BCED225E-C180-4B02-91B3-432C3C347A27.jpeg

30DDB652-B0F1-4779-956B-1EF722109234.jpeg

A03212D7-A441-41F4-98D3-015C7D828529.jpeg

B17145ED-65B8-4A65-8142-9EAEDB47D677.jpeg

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
I'm definitely in for July 50kms and 50 miles. But I think I misled you on one of my earlier posts and may have 'cheated' on a 50km ride. (will look back at the definition when I update)

I've got so much s+++ to sort that I'm limiting my 'fun computer time' at the moment. But will give a full up date whats happened since April!!!! on the other thread.

Thanks for your patience and persistence!

Jon George

So, given that in January I had thought about trying for a 50 point year and promptly buggered it up by sustaining a calf injury by trying too hard on the second go, it's been fun to go out on the sort of schedule I'd have had to have done to complete it. It was great to be in the Suffolk countryside, but maybe I should have given some thought as to how hot it would be on the leg home. I may have to start a Twonk Of The Year 2022 thread.:whistle:
Meanwhile, a view at Hemingstone. (About a quarter of a mile to the right, a large marquee was been set up - presumably for a wedding.)

IMG_3215.jpg

Jon George

A very fast (for me) 55km averaging 17.1mph, so somebody had their Weetabix:laugh:
I dream of such averages. I've recently joined Strava and just under 14mph is apparently my usual average. I will up my game, sir. I will up my game! ^_^

bruce1530

Guru
Well, I got my August ride in nice and early. And it was a very enjoyable one. Wish I'd taken some photos!

I've been struggling a bit recently, post-covid. 4 months later, average speeds and ride lengths are still down - and hills have been killers....

Today, I went back to a route which used to be one of my regulars, but I hadn't done it at all this year.

First stage was the easy bit - and a section I do regularly. From home, straight along the coast road (A78) to Largs.

There's a reasonable cycle path for most of the out-of-town sections, but normally I just stick on the road unless the traffic is particularly bad. But the cycle path between Ardrossan and Seamill has recently been widened and resurfaced, and the "chicane" barriers have been removed and replaced with wide-spaced bollards - so it's a much better ride. Thought I'd try it today. Still a pain if lots of dogwalkers or runners, but today it was quiet. And (despite my initial worry when I saw it being widened) there were no parked cars on it - they are using the grass between the cycle path and road.

On through Seamill, and followed the main road to Fairlie, then Largs. Other than a couple of short hills, it's mostly a flat route.

20km from my house to the ferry terminal at Largs.

Through Largs, then turned inland and up the Brisbane Glen road.

Once you leave the town, it's uphill. Single track farm roads at first, past a few caravan parks and reservoirs, and before you know it, you're in the moorland. Sheep, cattle grids, still going uphill.

Very warm and humid now, although rain threatening. Long sleeved jacket came off and stuffed into pocket.

From Largs, the road climbs about 300m over 10km. Then you're over the top, and downhill to Loch Thom. It's up above Greenock and Gourock, still about 180m above sea level. Turn left at the lochs and follow the road until you reach the visitor centre.

The visitor centre is great if you need to use the toilets - I don't think any of the other facilities are open.
Push on for another 100 yards until you come to the Ardgowan trout fishery, which has a great wee cafe. Friendly people, good food and coffee, and very cheap.
Espresso £1, Bacon roll £2. Menu didn't seem as extensive as last time I was there, but it had all the essentials. Coffee, bacon rolls, soup, cakes.

That's 36k in total so far. Turn back and home via roughly the same route. Great descent back down to Largs, 73km in total.

1659818131835.png

geocycle

Legendary Member
Was quite proud of my steady progress up Hartside on Thursday with no stops. But got an ‘encouraging‘ message from Strava saying it was ‘only‘ 25 minutes behind the KoM! Further investigation suggested the KoM was Steven Kruijswijk and he wouldnt have been carrying his lunch!

Domus

Guru
After several days entertaining the grandchildren in Sunny Grange, finally managed to get out on the bike. Into the wind all the way to The Velo café in Croston, talk about busy :wacko:. The road from Croston to Rufford is closed for 5 weeks so a couple of locals pointed me into a detour down Finney Lane which included, cobbles, gravel and lifting the bike over two gates at a locked level crossing. Rather adventurous for me.
Off the main road after Rufford Old Hall and a quiet ish lane into Parbold then the first of two big (for me) climbs. I saw 186 BPM on my Wahoo near the top of Parbold Hill :wacko:. A Classic Magnum was ingested while the HR came down. Very busy traffic in Standish then the second climb up Red Rock to Haigh. By the time I got into Bolton I was feeling it so popped into McDonalds for a coffee and a sugar doughnut. Plain sailing after that and home with 90.8 Kms and 780 metres of upness.
I think I'll leave the Velo Café for mid week in future.

Last edited:
Top Bottom