The 2022 Half Century (50km or 50M) a month challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geocycle

Legendary Member
Driving up to Grange I have seen a few times bikes crossing a bridge over the A591 just before I turn off onto the A590.
Checked the map and found a loop from Heversham to Sedgewick which would make a nice change to my usual way back to Grange.
With rain forecast for lunchtime I cut out the Silverdale loop and investigated my new found route. I got a bit lost and missed the correct lane and ended up going under the 591 instead of over it. Hey Ho. All's well that ends well, got a bit wet after Levens but still managed a point for 62 Kms. More exploring next weekend.
i think this is a farm bridge. You turn off just outside Levens before reaching the main road. It’s not obvious. The surface is usually covered in cow poo so be careful in the wet! It crosses the road and delivers you alongside the farm. I often use it but sometimes climb into the village and come the route you used.

AndreaJ

Veteran
Managed my first 100km ride today!, some ambitious group route planning would have meant I would finish on 98km so rode past the house to make the distance up. Started out in lovely Shropshire sunshine, headed into Wales where it was still sunny until we passed Llangollen then rain all the way home.
Would have preferred less climbing Welsh hills but it was still a good ride.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Managed my first 100km ride today!, some ambitious group route planning would have meant I would finish on 98km so rode past the house to make the distance up. Started out in lovely Shropshire sunshine, headed into Wales where it was still sunny until we passed Llangollen then rain all the way home.
Would have preferred less climbing Welsh hills but it was still a good ride.
Well done :bravo:, especially the extra 2km

Domus

Guru
i think this is a farm bridge. You turn off just outside Levens before reaching the main road. It’s not obvious. The surface is usually covered in cow poo so be careful in the wet! It crosses the road and delivers you alongside the farm. I often use it but sometimes climb into the village and come the route you used.

No, the one I want is here.

Attachments

• IMG_0942.jpeg
    IMG_0942.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 1

kapelmuur

Veteran
Two questions arise out of todays ride.
1 - For some reason the start of the ride didn't recorded - quite annoyed given the atmospherics couldn't have been better. Didn't realise until I got home - spent the whole ride thinking I hadn't calculated the mileage properly when I was planning it. Toward the end of the ride it kept saying the satellite signal was weak or lost. Is something happening that I am not aware of?
2 - Slathered myself in children's factor 30 (rated - Very High Protection) then spent 5 hours out on the bike. Did similar last Sunday, but longer in the sun because I went to a barbie on the way home. I got burnt both weeks - blistering upper arms at the moment though they aren't hurting. Obviously I need to reapply sunblock a time or two en route but I have been unable to find a VHP or above that is not too claggy, in a suitable container. It needs to be small, and not likely to break or leak. Has anyone discovered such perfect potion and pot, or come up with an equally good solution?
Ta very muchly
ps. They were both good rides & though the wind was making riding harder today, it was also pleasantly cooling at times

My daughter uses a factor 50 which is liquid and doesn't leave a greasy residue, made by Nivea. Not in a small container but liquid enough to be decanted into something suitable.

bruce1530

Guru
Had a few hours to spare this afternoon. Weather was overcast, but dry. Forecast for a light drizzle later. Thought I'd head out for a ride. Maybe down to Kilmarnock - some roads down there I'd planned to explore, that'd give me a nice 60k loop.

Cyclepath to Kilwinning, then farm roads towards Kilmaurs.

A few raindrops...

Then the rain became biblical, and I was on farm roads in the middle of nowhere, about 18k from home.

Fortunately, there was a road junction ahead, and a bus shelter! Spent 20 mins in there, debating whether I should get rid of the bike and buy a Pedalo....

Anyway - the rain eventually went off, and I cut the journey short, looping back towards home. 39k.

By this time, the rain was off, the roads were almost dry, so back out for a loop round the town to make 52k

Domus

Guru
Back in Sunny Grange, managed another ride on Friday. Found the elusive bridge over the A591. It wasn’t too well hidden, in fact it was easy to find when I went the right way.
Another point and 74 Kms.

Attachments

• 7316B0D4-4C08-4200-B482-9307E8C6133A.jpeg
    7316B0D4-4C08-4200-B482-9307E8C6133A.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 2
Finished off July in style with a 100km ride out in Switzerland. Went over to meet some friends who live here and in all honesty I don’t know how we actually got any riding done- everywhere you look is just picture perfect and you’re forever stopping to take pics! But ride we did and it was a very punchy route with a little taster of the many alpine climbs this country has to offer. 62.5 miles and 6,000ft of up- definitely not a flat one!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Woke this morning to drizzle nearly canned a 50km ride but my monthly total was at 768 miles so a 50km ride ( sorry about mixed measurements) to top 800 miles so waited until 12 headed out in still gloomy conditions round my Wymeswold loop stayed dry and the sun was out when I finished . Finished the month on 802 miles

bluenotebob

Veteran
Finished the month on 802 miles

I had a good July too … 1280.80km cycled – which equates to 800.5 miles... and I’ve just noticed that 472km (295 miles) of that was cycled on my mountain bikes.

I’m currently around 1800km ahead of my annual target of 10,500km so I’m looking (perhaps) at 12,300 km for the year – I’ll be 70 just before Xmas and if I can get to 12,000km by my birthday then I think it’ll be an even bigger celebration. But … I’m not counting my chickens. A week or two of heavy rain in the autumn would seriously derail my chances.

Anyone else have a good July?

Top Bottom