The 2022 Half Century (50km or 50M) a month challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
July's done on Sunday...

106Km Blaby - Wiloughby Waterlys - Ashby Parva - South Kilworth -Stamford on Avon - Cold Ashby - Naseby - Creaton - Cottesbrooke - Brixworth - Cottesbroke - Haselbech - Kelmarsh - Clipston - Marston Trussel - Laughton - Saddington - Fleckney - Peatling Parva - Wiloughby Waterlys - Countesthorpe - Blaby

Quite slow as I did a 23Km run the day before - still made it round...did get a flat though - ran over a patch of large stones aside from that a nice ride...

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
33.4 miles just completed.
Out of town across to Moulton , Holcot , Brixworth across and down to Old along to Mawsley via mill lane then back to Old via the high road .

Then on to Walgrave, Holcot , Hannington , Orlingbury , Little Harrowdon and home.

Bike used steel Harry Quinn
Good to see you recovering

Domus

Guru
Very hot in Sunny Grange, after a full day working on the overgrown rockery at the caravan on Saturday, Sunday was bike day. :bravo:
Out before 09.00 for my usual circuit over to Arnside and Silverdale. Lightest winds for as long as I can remember made it feel even hotter.

Lots of bikes out including a mum with her very young son. Really nice to see. :okay:

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
3rd and final Cornish 50km ride this Morning out the door at 6 to avoid the heat . Headed inland again to avoid the worst of the hills ,32 miles and only 2800ft of upness . Went through the village of Probus making as much noise as possible to try and wake up the locals ( @footloose crow ) . Grabbed a few velo viewers squares . I can confirm @footloose crow does not over state the hills he rides up . Cornwall is no place for a 39/30 lowest gear I have made it up everything but the legs are feeling it now

footloose crow

Über Member
3rd and final Cornish 50km ride this Morning out the door at 6 to avoid the heat . Headed inland again to avoid the worst of the hills ,32 miles and only 2800ft of upness . Went through the village of Probus making as much noise as possible to try and wake up the locals ( @footloose crow ) . Grabbed a few velo viewers squares . I can confirm @footloose crow does not over state the hills he rides up . Cornwall is no place for a 39/30 lowest gear I have made it up everything but the legs are feeling it now

Well done on getting up those hills with a 39/30. My Enigma has 31/34 and even then it can hurt. A bit like today's TdF stage, there are no really big hills in Cornwall; just a succession of steep, leg stinging ramps and twisty uphills that stop you ever getting into your stride or any kind of rhythm. I am always pleasantly surprised how much faster I am when cycling elsewhere in the UK.

PS. Probus is near me but my house is surrounded by miles of private farmland. You would have to work hard for me to hear anything!

FrothNinja

Veteran
Two questions arise out of todays ride.
1 - For some reason the start of the ride didn't recorded - quite annoyed given the atmospherics couldn't have been better. Didn't realise until I got home - spent the whole ride thinking I hadn't calculated the mileage properly when I was planning it. Toward the end of the ride it kept saying the satellite signal was weak or lost. Is something happening that I am not aware of?
2 - Slathered myself in children's factor 30 (rated - Very High Protection) then spent 5 hours out on the bike. Did similar last Sunday, but longer in the sun because I went to a barbie on the way home. I got burnt both weeks - blistering upper arms at the moment though they aren't hurting. Obviously I need to reapply sunblock a time or two en route but I have been unable to find a VHP or above that is not too claggy, in a suitable container. It needs to be small, and not likely to break or leak. Has anyone discovered such perfect potion and pot, or come up with an equally good solution?
Ta very muchly
ps. They were both good rides & though the wind was making riding harder today, it was also pleasantly cooling at times

Domus

Guru
After two near identical rides from the caravan, back home for a few days. Out early to avoid death by summer, rode to Fredericks for coffee to find I was too early, found Costa in Chorley for a nice Cortado and croissant then back home through Rivington and Bolton. Saw 26°C on the Wahoo at 10.00. It was just like riding in Mallorca but with added traffic and pot holes. ^_^

aferris2

Guru
Having run out of excuses (too hot, too cold, too windy, too wet, ...) finally managed to get out for the July ride. As usual, really enjoyed it once I was rolling. Stuck to the tried and tested loop around Chelmsford and I seem to be getting faster. It's mid week so not many people out but it doesn't stop the crazy passes. Seems that we have moved on from the close pass of the cyclist and replaced this with the close pass of the motorist coming from the other direction.
Lots of sunshine Little windb and the unexpected flooded roads where the farmers are watering the fields. Still, the spray was nicely cooling, and I have now washed the bike (for the first time this year)

footloose crow

Über Member
July ride done - latest in the month ever

Finally got a 50k ride done this month - I did spend two weeks of July sailing in the Aegean though!

Started in St Erth, 'down west' as we say in Cornwall to distinguish it from mid and East Cornwall. West Cornwall being regarded with deep suspicion by the rest of Cornwall - a sentiment which is reciprocated, with all of us convinced that people from other parts of Cornwall 'speak funny'. As for the English beyond the Tamar, no one understands what they say....

So anyway I digress, a start down west, a spin along flattish lanes to Penzance and then an excursion along the south coast visiting two small coves and a return back over the moors through a sunny Penzance and back to St Erth.
6B69D1F5-C447-4D04-8AEA-E7B62550DEDC.jpeg

Screenshot 2022-07-21 at 19.47.57.png

Domus

Guru
Driving up to Grange I have seen a few times bikes crossing a bridge over the A591 just before I turn off onto the A590.
Checked the map and found a loop from Heversham to Sedgewick which would make a nice change to my usual way back to Grange.
With rain forecast for lunchtime I cut out the Silverdale loop and investigated my new found route. I got a bit lost and missed the correct lane and ended up going under the 591 instead of over it. Hey Ho. All's well that ends well, got a bit wet after Levens but still managed a point for 62 Kms. More exploring next weekend.

Top Bottom