The 2022 Half Century (50km or 50M) a month challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Septembers update all riders fully posted up no fallers so we 36 riders still in the challenge ,Well done everyone
Flying start to October helped by the 1st being a Saturday already 12 of us with a ride in

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Got October up and running last week with a week away in France, which included some short bimbles around the D roads of the Haute Vienne and one qualifying 50km ride down to Le Dorat and Magnac Laval for lunch.

Have knocked out a 50 miler this morning and also nudged my Eddington up to 49 miles, with just one more 50 miler needed for the magic 50.

Domus

Guru
Went out midweek but only managed 40 Kms as Mrs Domus is recovering from an eye op, she is feeling much better now so out for a 65 Km ride to Anna's Café in Weir. Still in shorts but the descent into Bacup after lunch chilled me to the bone and I didn't warm up 'till I started climbing up to Edenfield from Rawtenstall. Lots of bikes out everywhere, about 50/50 shorts and longs.

Off the mark for October, set out with the Nuneaton boys for a jolly jaunt down to a cafe on a narrow boat on the Grand Union Canal called “Gongoozlers Rest.”

Chilly at 0900 when we met up and started but the sun was gorgeous and the strong winds yesterday were nowhere to be found today and so the conditions were as close to perfect as you could get!

Reaching Braunston in Northamptonshire we arrived at the cafe. Being a narrow boat there were no seats inside and so we had to dine Al fresco. This was not a problem as the sun by this time was just beautiful.

The main reason we were here was for the black pudding sandwich which had been lauded by two of the group and my god it did not disappoint! Squeezed a Malteser Rocky Road cake as well, washed down with a mug of tea for good measure.

Heading back almost the way we had come, we did take the opposite direction around Draycote Water to what we had done on the way down but other than that virtually a there/back kind of route. There were a couple of hairy moments with d1ckheads close passing but overall it was a brilliant ride out, and much needed!

4CEAD2A5-F4DD-497F-840A-7C6AF67C7B0B.jpeg

5E83A9E5-3F83-496D-AE2F-0DD334B8F8B9.jpeg

77DA99B8-2EA3-454D-AD45-1BF76ABD0115.jpeg

CC54DA43-38F3-4C9B-9EB8-FEB286E510D1.jpeg

CD303930-8A8A-4B0C-991D-C867545F0DCE.jpeg

34F88706-2A6B-4DC1-95FF-61941A443EE0.jpeg

050EC876-805A-44E6-BF31-AEC6B3C1CF13.jpeg

C R

Guru
No, not me boss. I'm the slow wobbly 'erbert on a black Boardman with yellow highlights. I'd have been trundling past Norton P.H. on the way to Hatfield at about 6:30 or so.

Ah, another early riser ;). I had a brief chat with the red bike cyclist, and he was going for a 50ish k ride, so when I saw your route I wondered if it might have been you.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
The main reason we were here was for the black pudding sandwich which had been lauded by two of the group and my god it did not disappoint! Squeezed a Malteser Rocky Road cake as well, washed down with a mug of tea for good measure.

I reckon that's a net calorie gain, unless it was a 300 mile ride!:laugh:

bruce1530

Guru
Been a bit of a challenge getting my 50 in this month - just been "time poor", so rides have been around the 20-30k mark.

Determined to get a 50 in this weekend - and here in the west of Scotland, Saturday's forecast was slightly "less worse" than Sunday's.

Headed out just before ten; the weather forecast said that that was likely to be the lowest chance of rain. Forecast of course was wrong...

I still haven't got round to putting the mudguards back on the bike, but I had the winter gear on for the first time in ages - the goretex Shimano boots etc.

It was dry when I left the house, and that lasted for about 2 miles.... then it got wet. Not quite biblical rain, but enough to soak you through.

Saltcoats, Kilwinning, Benslie, Torranyard. I had planned to head towards Stewarton, but then I remembered a nice cafe, so a wee detour on farm roads towards Dunlop. Through Dunlop and on to the Dunlop Dairy. 24k done.

Completely soaked by this time - they say that once you're wet, you can't get any wetter.. Whoever said that wasn't riding this morning....

Stopped at the dairy, peeled the wet jacket off.

Nice soup and a coffee. Excellent soup, in fact. Broccoli and cauliflower.

Spent half an hour in the cafe, hoping it would dry up. It didn't.

Back home by roughly the same route. 49k when I reached the end of our street, so a loop "round the block" took it up to 51.

And - when I got home, soaked, realises that it had been a really enjoyable ride.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I have just updated 3 rides for October. Logging was just beyond me earlier in the month. I have a new job, not temping so making sure I learn it properly as it’s a company that encourages their staff to learn, improve and move within the company. I have vague plans.
Anyway, today was 59.9km, with crippling back pain so we took the Orbit Tandem. Once on the bike, the riding position means no back pain at all. Not like sitting, standing or trying to walk. It was glorious except for a couple of bits of road surface issues causing pain. Last night, walking the dogs, my bigger Lurcher saw a squirrel and I didn’t and he leapt towards it causing the back thing. I must have twisted strangely and pulled a muscle. It will be fine in a day or 3.
I have done quite a few shorter rides, I am trying to get my cycling mojo back.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Think if I wasnt doing this challenge I would have given up for the Year! [which i guess is the point]
October done:

23/10: Ncl- Belsay- Whalton - Shilvington - Kirkley - Saltwick - Ncl: 57.9km, 380m. elev.,

Total: 30 pnts
Exactly the reason ., Strange how telling random strangers on the interweb keeps you motivated ,2 more rides required keep it up

Top Bottom