The 2022 Half Century (50km or 50M) a month challenge chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
December done.

Truro - Perranwell Station - Marazion - Hayle- Portreath - Truro. Sunny, almost warm in the sun but cold in the shade and valley bottoms. At least its not raining and windy!

101km 1281m
Technically in the wrong thread but finisher no3 well done @footloose crow

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I have no idea where you got the sunshine @Jon George , down here by the coast it's been grey & damp all morning. Hopefully I'll join you in the finishing circle tomorrow.

It was pretty brief! ^_^
Not long after I took this photo, it became obvious that I was never going to get warm, even though I'd layered up more than yesterday. I nearly gave up, but the weather forecast seems so bleak, I decided to press on. And it got colder.
Oh, the sun reappeared for while - just as I was about a mile from home.:rolleyes:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I had a lovely ride today.
I had a bit of a wobble, last Tuesday, when the doctors rang and said I need to retake my annual blood test that I have as I have 1 kidney. Donated the other one. Function has dropped, still well within normal range etc, but I had a panic and took chocolate and crisps to food and immediately and made a plan to revive my fitness properly.
All November I have challenged myself to 5 Joe Wicks workouts and 3 bike rides and have hit my targets, since last Tuesday, eating clean, or at least on plan.
I am on a days holiday and the sun was shining so I did my Joe Wicks workout, with my weights then had half an hour before a nice ride in the sun. I rode yesterday, just 13 miles and it was excellent and thought that I would do that route again.

Got onto the Marriotts Way as it seemed like a plan. First couple of miles were rough, next couple better and by mile 5 I failed to turn off and went up the gravel road - that I never go up because hills and gravel are not my favourite- and carried on another mile and a half to the ‘concrete bridge’ where there are meeting points with the Northern Distributor Route (or the DNR as it’s known locally, I know, I can spell) cycle way.
Riding through Horsford woods is generally a bit puddly and getting up the hill to more of the DNR is generally interesting because of the traffic, but I turned off to St Faiths by road, for a change. No idea why, I never go that way as crossing the A140 is hard work. It takes me back to the DNR which I followed all the way to Postwick then rode through Thorpe Hamlet to the football ground.
Realising that I could do with just 9 miles for a half metric century, I decided on a lap of Whittlingham Broad before home, also on Norwich’s ‘pedal ways’. It was a bit chilly out but I think my fitness has come a ways. A 50km ride after nailing a Wicksy workout, is not too shabby.

I had an initial plan of 3000 for the year, as there was too much in the gym and not enough on the bike. I am up to 2934 miles, so confident. I thought I will push on through 5000km. I have 4 and a half weeks.
There might be a couple more half centuries yet but I have achieved my 60 annual points so I am delighted with that.
I left the gym. Their class times were incompatible with cycling.
70E519B6-FBDB-4FEB-808E-6070EC923C79.jpeg

Domus

Guru
I was all prepared for a December 1 ride but the damp mist and a splitting headache made me postpone for 24 hours. This morning not only could I not see across the bay I couldn’t even see the bay itself.
However I girded my loins and set off just after 09.30 into the slowly lifting fog. My Wahoo was showing 3°C so I was glad I had my winter boots on.
Coffee and croissant in Arnside and back in the caravan with 56 Kms on the clock and another challenge completed. 👍

bluenotebob

Veteran
It was very cold here yesterday too – it came as a big shock to the system. I’d hoped to get out for a longish ride but got side-tracked by a problem with my wood-burning stove … I had to let it go out before fixing the problem. I managed a few very short rides in 4 degrees – and coming back into a cold house after that was very unpleasant. Wood-burner problem solved in the evening by a neighbour to whom I owe a large box of chocolates.

So, 14 km yesterday and 22km today – gradually acclimatising (and wearing so many layers that I look like the Michelin Man on a bike) – maybe I’ll get over the line next week.

Incidentally, my ‘distance cycled in 2022’ ticked-up to 12,345.67 km this afternoon – and I did wonder whether that might a perfect point at which to retire from cycling and take up knitting, or golf, or just spending all winter sitting by my wood-burner with a pot of herbal tea and a pile of books.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Not the most enjoyable way to get the December qualifier in, but I'll take whatever I can get. Stuck a load of washing on and went out on a 6 mile shopping loop, home to empty the backpack & swap bikes to one with better carrying capacity (panniers) then back out for another 10 mile shopping trip. Home again to empty the panniers, have a mug of coffee & get the washing out of the machine and then out again for another 17 mile leisure ride - when of course it rained.

With any luck I may get a proper (non-stop) 50k ride in over the weekend.

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Not the most enjoyable way to get the December qualifier in, but I'll take whatever I can get. Stuck a load of washing on and went out on a 6 mile shopping loop, home to empty the backpack & swap bikes to one with better carrying capacity (panniers) then back out for another 10 mile shopping trip. Home again to empty the panniers, have a mug of coffee & get the washing out of the machine and then out again for another 17 mile leisure ride - when of course it rained.

With any luck I may get a proper (non-stop) 50k ride in over the weekend.
It's count that's what matters finisher no6 well done @Jenkins

Early monthly update for the penultimate month as the last weekend approaches ,We have 27 riders fully posted up leaving a slightly longer nudge list of 9 rider as below
@Sbudge ,@Bazzer ,@Milkfloat ,@tallliman ,@PatrickPending ,@Cranky Knee Girl ,@Chap sur le velo ,@Gibbo and @T4tomo

Finally caught up with some online housekeeping after a protracted bout of assorted lurgies and interruptions! All up to date and just 1 more qualifying ride needed to get to 7 years in a row. Thanks for all the nudges and support!

BTW, I think my bonus qualifying ride for November (don't worry, I also did a 'proper' one) must count as the daftest to date. 66km long and 50km of that was downhill!

Top Bottom