The 2024 Half Century (50km or 50 mile) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Tomorrow I am taking part in this:
https://www.100climbs.co.uk/events

It's a different kind of event, more akin to orienteering. Each Hill climb is assigned points and you can either try to do them all 😳 or plot a route to get the minimum 40 points. For the latter the shortest route wins!
Screenshot_20240525_091301.jpg

Sheffield map for web2.jpg

I reckon I can get 40 points in under 50 miles, but likely to have around 8000 feet elevation. What's the toughest ride you have ever logged here? (For whatever reason)

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru

It's a different kind of event, more akin to orienteering. Each Hill climb is assigned points and you can either try to do them all 😳 or plot a route to get the minimum 40 points. For the latter the shortest route wins!
View attachment 731905

View attachment 731906
I reckon I can get 40 points in under 50 miles, but likely to have around 8000 feet elevation. What's the toughest ride you have ever logged here? (For whatever reason)
If you do the 50 miles I think you will win toughest ride every posted in this thread by quite a margin , 160ft up per miles is a lot , some of my rides in Cornwall go in excess of 100ft to 120ft per mile and there my toughest rides of the years do to the constant up and down as you only ever get 600ft above sea level and the downhills have to be taken slowly for safety so no reward for all the climbing . Good luck that's quite an interesting event some nutter going to do them all 😮

UphillSlowly

If you do the 50 miles I think you will win toughest ride every posted in this thread by quite a margin , 160ft up per miles is a lot , some of my rides in Cornwall go in excess of 100ft to 120ft per mile and there my toughest rides of the years do to the constant up and down as you only ever get 600ft above sea level and the downhills have to be taken slowly for safety so no reward for all the climbing . Good luck that's quite an interesting event some nutter going to do them all 😮

Think I may be a bit broken after tomorrow. 😁

FrothNinja

Veteran

View attachment 731905

View attachment 731906

Ouch - even on an electric, let alone on a tramper in the rain
Good luck, will be a heck of an achievement if you finish. All power to your leg for having a crack at it, regardless of the outcome.

UphillSlowly

Ouch - even on an electric, let alone on a tramper in the rain
Good luck, will be a heck of an achievement if you finish. All power to your leg for having a crack at it, regardless of the outcome.

Well I did it @13 rider and @FrothNinja
Screenshot_20240527_071631.jpg

But didn't win shortest distance. Some tough climbs and challenging weather.
Screenshot_20240527-071655_Strava.jpg

Think the barometer in my gps affected by the weather, and I took some shortcuts. It was a loop and yet finish point is nearly 200m higher than start. Think elevation gain somewhere between 1800 m and 2000m over 73 km
Very well organised event and super friendly. Would definitely do it again.

C R

Guru
Well done: @UphillSlowly, that's some serious elevation there.

I rode my longest distance of the year today, also with the most elevation, though only 800m. I went into Herefordshire to get the elevation, and my legs coped better than expected. I love riding in Herefordshire because of the views, but the road surfaces are atrocious.

A couple of views of the Malverns from the Herefordshire side. It reminds me of Galicia.

20240527_082744.jpg

20240527_082740.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
At least you went past 80kms @C R unlike some 😂

FrothNinja

Veteran
Well I did it @13 rider and @FrothNinja
View attachment 732104
But didn't win shortest distance. Some tough climbs and challenging weather.
View attachment 732105
Think the barometer in my gps affected by the weather, and I took some shortcuts. It was a loop and yet finish point is nearly 200m higher than start. Think elevation gain somewhere between 1800 m and 2000m over 73 km
Very well organised event and super friendly. Would definitely do it again.

Brill effort!!!

UphillSlowly

Well done: @UphillSlowly, that's some serious elevation there.

I rode my longest distance of the year today, also with the most elevation, though only 800m. I went into Herefordshire to get the elevation, and my legs coped better than expected. I love riding in Herefordshire because of the views, but the road surfaces are atrocious.

A couple of views of the Malverns from the Herefordshire side. It reminds me of Galicia.

View attachment 732123

View attachment 732124

I concur with the Herefordshire road surfaces! Might be all the tractors?

Spartak