The 2024 Half Century (50km or 50 mile) Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bluenotebob

Veteran
More warm sunshine today (27C in the afternoon) so it seemed churlish not to make the most of it. A 14km loop around SBdM (on the MASSI MTB) before lunch then 39km on the V3 Voie Verte .. Mauron/Ploërmel and back again .. on the new gravel bike.

I’ll post full ride details in the challenge thread when I next post a ‘proper’ ride.

The chateau at Bois-de-la-Roche .. and a further (slightly better) attempt at capturing the beauty of the forget-me-nots

The chateau at Bois-de-la-Roche.JPG

Forget-me-nots N of Loyat pic 1.JPG

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Out early this morning and heading south down to Odell , Felmersham , Clapham turning for home taking in Oakley, Pavenham , Felmersham, Carlton , Turvey where I joined the A428 all the way to Yardley Hastings before going back on the lanes to Grendon , Hardwater crossing, Wilby , Mears Ashby and back home .
Lovely conditions on a great bike.
Bike used Cougar
Mileage 50.06 miles

bruce1530

Guru
A good ride today. Unfamiliar roads, and a new cafe.

Started off as a quick trip across to my daughters house, about 5 miles away, to feed her cat.

Kept going in roughly the same direction (northeast) - wind seemed quite strong coming in off sea, so didn't really fancy the trip back. Ended up following farm roads from Kilwinning to Barrmill then Dunlop.

Someone had mentioned a cafe in that area, which I hadn't been to before, so that was my new target. More country roads, quite lumpy. I'm still nowhere near full fitness, this was my hilliest ride since the operation last year.

After about 35k, arrived at the Harelaw Trout Fishery & coffee shop. https://harelawtroutfishery.co.uk/
Cafe was busy inside, food looked great. I had a coffee and cake on the outside benches. Very friendly staff - I'll be back.

From there, there were a couple of short hills, then a long fast descent down through Neilston into Barrhead, and on to Paisley. Followed the cycle path in the general direction of home, but that wind was getting up and right in my face. So jumped on a train at Johnstone, for Kilwinning, then a 5k trip home.

About 60k in total, with 700m of up-and-down-ness...

1713101871075.png

bluenotebob

Veteran
When the weather’s bad, it’s up to my MTBs, Urban Shaper and the gravel bike to do the kilometres – that worked pretty well in the first half of April (even though I did fall behind my monthly target). As soon as the weather got better, the road bike flew out of the bike shed and demanded to be ridden… which left the Princess (the Shaper 200) wondering when she was going to get a ride. She’d only done 37km in April as of last night .. but today was her day: 66km cycled and she can have another rest now as the wind and rain return tomorrow.

That’s four 50+km rides done in four days – not sure if I’ve ever done that before. Not sure either when the Princess last did 66km – not for a couple of years, I’d guess.

Here’s the Princess .. the “bike of the day” .. by the Lac Au Duc at Lézonnet late this afternoon.

Princess at Lézonnet pic 2.JPG

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Excellent spelling but I'm just wondering if you can pronounce the village names , apologies to are Welsh contingent 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

I was practicing my pronunciation all the way round, but would not bet on getting many spot-on. At one point I passed a pub and wondered how its name should be pronounced, knowing that pretty much every vowel has a different sound in Welsh. Then it dawned on me that it was just the "Lion"!!! You can definitely overthink these things.

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I'm currently recovering from my second experience of COVID and so, this month's attempt may go down to the wire. (I'm at about 95% normality.) This month, however, is a Must Do as it will mark 100 consecutive monthly 50k rides. Mind you, even though there have been days when I haven't wanted to do anything since the beginning of April, I have been out for a ride every day of the year so far (though some have been 'around the block') and, fingers crossed, it's going to get done.
I may even do it on my Fixed Gear. :becool:
In the meantime, a photo of spring in my garden, this afternoon (after a biblical tempest, this morning). :smile:

Garden 15.4.24.jpg

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
I'm currently recovering from my second experience of COVID and so, this month's attempt may go down to the wire. (I'm at about 95% normality.) This month, however, is a Must Do as it will mark 100 consecutive monthly 50k rides. Mind you, even though there have been days when I haven't wanted to do anything since the beginning of April, I have been out for a ride every day of the year so far (though some have been 'around the block') and, fingers crossed, it's going to get done.
I may even do it on my Fixed Gear. :becool:
In the meantime, a photo of spring in my garden, this afternoon (after a biblical tempest, this morning). :smile:

View attachment 727770
I had begun to wonder as your normally an early poster good luck on making the century of half centuries ( if that makes sense ) , Just had a quick check and you will be the 4th member of the 100 month club joining myself ,@Spinney and @steverob

steverob

Guru
Oooh, have I officially reached the 100 mark then? I know I unofficially passed that milestone a little while back if you include the rides I did before I joined this forum or this specific challenge, but I didn't know how close I was to getting the independently verified version as well!

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
Oooh, have I officially reached the 100 mark then? I know I unofficially passed that milestone a little while back if you include the rides I did before I joined this forum or this specific challenge, but I didn't know how close I was to getting the independently verified version as well!
This month @steverob 8 years and 4 months ,I had paid much attention to it until @Jon George brought it up

bluenotebob

Veteran
Had another great ride today – more info + photos in the ‘Your Ride Today’ thread.

Today was also my new gravel bike’s inaugural ride in this challenge. That’s the fourth of my six bikes to do a ride in this year’s challenge (ignoring any multi-bike rides) – hopefully I’ll organise it so that the other two also get a ride in before the end of the year.

Here’s the new bike (Katie-Mae) on the Nantes-to-Brest canal south of Rohan

S of Rohan pic 1.JPG

OP
OP
13 rider

13 rider

Guru
April

Points YTD 12 tbc!!!!!

20 04

100kms

https://www.strava.com/activities/11224036010

Slow Hub Velo ride, cold and windy gave me 70kms. Conscious that my preparation for Ride 100 is non existent added a trip round Docklands for an extra 30.

Now going away. Early part of May needs to be tough!

18 04

See below 34 or 52kms! Rules is rules but…

https://www.strava.com/activities/11212135266

Was moving through meetings all day but needed this on to coun. Had 32kms on Wahoo at the Guildhall so purposely headed down around Isle of Dogs, where on checking my Wahoo had given up! So made return a little longer than planned Around the perimeter of Isle of Dogs then through Canning Town and picked up Greenway. To Olympic Park where West Ham fans were gathering and home.

From many previous rides on this route feel reasonably confident I got 50kms in?
No problem with the last ride Strava proof is not required if your confident it counts ,it counts
Edit check your points , don't forget 3 points for the 100km and the other ride makes 13 in total I believe

Last edited:

Chap sur le velo

Über Member
The good news is I've beaten the Nudgezone and posted on the main thread but....

Too busy to ride much this month , I did try with 100kms yesterday and planned 50kms Thursday. But on Thursday, with stops for meetings, my Wahoo gave up long before I did.

The relevant bit is quoted below. Is it a case of 'if its not on Strava, it doesn't count? '
Decisions, decisions... I will be guided by our glorious leader (hoping 13 is not unlucky for some).

"See below 34 or 52kms! Rules is rules but…

https://www.strava.com/activities/11212135266

Was moving through meetings all day but needed this on to coun. Had 32kms on Wahoo at the Guildhall so purposely headed down around Isle of Dogs, where on checking my Wahoo had given up! So made return a little longer than planned after rounding the perimeter of Isle of Dogs I diverted through Canning Town and picked up Greenway. Next to the Olympic Park where West Ham fans were gathering and then home.

From many previous rides on this route, I feel reasonably confident I got 50kms in? Would have ridden longer if I felt I needed it but...

This happend once before. I stopped at 4 separate 'meetings' each an hour or more during the day. The Wahoo was in my pocket each time.
Would I have got more battery life if I'd manually paused for each meeting? I've done long days out 200kms with no battery problems.
(Its possible it wasn't100% charged, but I don't think so.)

Top Bottom