the 5. 2 diet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I would personally not advise or participate all these 'fads' as they are simply unsustainable.. Are you really going to undertake 'fasting' two days a week for the rest of your life?
If you do not you will return to the way you were before unless your diet has changed.
The change to be sucessful needs to be deeper, you need to start to understand where your calories come from and the value of them, getting 500 calories from pizza and chips, is not the same as getting 500 calories from salmon, veg and rice imho.
Eat healthy and use more calories than you consume and you will lose weight.

Absolutelly, the 500 calories from the pizza taste better! hah.

PK99

Legendary Member
2 days eating 500cals is "healthy"?

You made 2 changes: 1) started 5:2 and 2) changed eating habits. Which one do you think had the greater impact?

Marginally changed eating habits = Not having the mid morning/mid afternoon snack, avoiding the sticky bun at the coffee shop, not having an "I'm hungry i need to eat" habit. Not opening a beer when cooking but waiting till later.
Rest of diet unchanged including wine and beer consumption.

5:2 = the weight loss 2 stones for me, 1 st and a dress size for my other half
marginally changed eating habit = stable weight when not doing 5:2 and eating normally

PK99

Legendary Member
2 days eating 500cals is "healthy"?

yep! (well 600 for me)

Breakfast: 2 eggs plus 2 rashers fat free bacon = 200 calories
lunch = apple + banana = 200 calories
supper = mountain of oven roast ratatouille plus chicken breast = 200 calories

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
yep! (well 600 for me)

Breakfast: 2 eggs plus 2 rashers fat free bacon = 200 calories
lunch = apple + banana = 200 calories
supper = mountain of oven roast ratatouille plus chicken breast = 200 calories

I may be ignorant here, but my intuition tells me your figures don't look right.

uclown2002

Guru
Those that knock the 5:2 diet and other Intermittent Fasting 'diets' should watch the program that Horizon did on it.

Very interesting although maybe more research needs to be carried out.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Those that knock the 5:2 diet and other Intermittent Fasting 'diets' should watch the program that Horizon did on it.

Very interesting although maybe more research needs to be carried out.
"More research" is an understatement. Actual research would be a bit closer.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You're like a broken record when it comes to the 5:2 why bother nobody listens to you going on and on and on and on. We get it you don't agree with it but other people do and are entitled to discuss it without your cheap sarcastic jibes.

To be fair, his anti posts are not really any different to your pro fad diet posting.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Whatever but Horizon is a very reputable program.
It isn't.

You're like a broken record when it comes to the 5:2 why bother nobody listens to you going on and on and on and on. We get it you don't agree with it but other people do and are entitled to discuss it without your cheap sarcastic jibes.
If you can't handle the opposition, avoid the discussion. As Rob posted over me, you are no better.

PK99

Legendary Member
I may be ignorant here, but my intuition tells me your figures don't look right.

1 egg 60 Calories * 2 = 120
fat free bacon rasher (medallion from back bacon) 40 calories * 2 = 80
breakfast total = 200

Large Banana = 140 calories
medium apple = 50 calories
lunch total = 190 calories

Chicken breast 130 calories
Veg ??
supper total around 200

all plus or minus a smidgin
proof of the pudding is the weight loss

It is the Toast : 75 calories per slice plus spread plus marmalade
or bread sandwiches for lunch = extra 2-400 calories
or pasta with supper 100g = 350 calories
that are the missing elements!

Paul99

Über Member
To be fair, his anti posts are not really any different to your pro fad diet posting.
It isn't.

If you can't handle the opposition, avoid the discussion. As Rob posted over me, you are no better.
The argument that TMHNET uses is all to do with the lack of research. Well there has been research done, and there is ongoing research. There is no research, afaik, that says that the 5:2 diet is unhealthy or bad for you.

The current diet advice being peddled by the NHS, is to eat healthy foods to a prescribed amount of calories and excercise. Well guess what? there are millions of people that are overweight, some obese, some morbidly obese, despite them knowing to eat less and move more. They simply can't do it.
And simply keep repeating the advice to them is unlikely to work.

So there needs to be another way. Perhaps 5:2 is it, perhaps not. But if nobody gives it a go, we'll never know.

I have been doing it since the first week in January. I have lost 3 stone. I have lost 5 inches from my waist. I have lost 7 inches from my stomach. I feel great and have loads of energy. I could do it forever, it is that easy. On my 5 days i eat and drink what I want, no restrictions whatsover.

If either of you know something I don't, lets hear it.

Top Bottom