the 5. 2 diet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PK99

Legendary Member
Interesting points made from both sides of the argument, thank you.
I've decided not to continue though. Past experience tells me calorie restriction really doesn't do it for me, so I'm back to the gym and cutting out the rubbish. Well, starting on Monday I will be:thumbsup:

If you skim the posts on this and the other thread you will find that the positive voices have tried it, the negative voices have not and are against "fad diets" (there may be exceptions, but not many) or are wannabe dieticians

uclown2002

Guru
I haven't actually tried this method but it provoked my interest in IF when I watched the Horizon program.
I fast 16 hours a day, therefore only eating in an 8 hr window; typically 2-10 suits me. I have done this for over a year, and for me is sustainable. I find it great to regulate my calorie intake by this method.
I'm not obsessed about it as some days, if I fancy eating early morning then I do. But that occurs about 20-25% of the time.

poynedexter

i think i will give this a go starting next week. i have lost fat/ weight over the last couple of years and would like to lose about another 6lbs before xmas. my weight has been steady for about 9 months and i'm struggling with willpower, especially at the weekends after training rides. i was hoping that this 5:2 might kickstart my weight loss again.

i for one seem able to maintain my weight at the moment, but more loses are tough. so i dont think i'll "fast" long term.

btw, i'm using this as an aid to my racing for 2014.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm thinking of asking my GP for as many blood tests as she will agree to fund, to try and work out what has been causing my health problems. I have been doing the 5:2 pretty consistently since January, so it will be interesting to see what my numbers are for LDL, HDL etc. I'll report back later!

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I had my Glucose and Cholesterol done two weeks ago, the doc said the glucose was excellent but didn't tell me the number and the cholesterol was 4.5 when I asked him about the HDL LDL he just said it was good and the triglycerides were low. Hopefully down to the diet.

I started in march. Lost a stone a month for four months and now still do it but not so strictly. And my weight has remained steady ever since despite not riding due to a back injury. Found it a brilliant way to lose and maintain weight.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
I started in march. Lost a stone a month for four months and now still do it but not so strictly. And my weight has remained steady ever since despite not riding due to a back injury. Found it a brilliant way to lose and maintain weight.

Ooooh the sceptics will be disappointed. Well done btw.

PK99

Legendary Member

Well done. I'm finding much the same. 6 months or so of 5:2 and I lost 2 stones. Since then a series of dinner parties, holidays, weddings, bbq's, nights out on the beer etc have intervened, but with remodelled eating habits, weight had stayed the same. up a bit, down a bit, but within a pound or so the same.

It works.

Not by being a "No carbs" fad, or a "Low fat" fad, or a "cabbage 4 times a day" fad,

But by being an approach that educates: "On a non diet day, at the motorway service station, do I really NEED the 600calorie sticky cake to go with my coffee? That is a WHOLE diet day intake!"
In the pub:" do i REALLY want that packet of scratching?"
11 am. I'm hungry "Do I NEED that snack before lunch at 1pm?"

Over the same period, Mrs PK has lost 1 stone and a dress size.

Both of us have found that weight has gone not just around the gut, but from all parts of the body. Slimmer faces. Slimmer necks. Slimmer everything.

To the sceptics who have not tried it: Shove your theories up your posterior.

uclown2002

Guru
Good going guys!

poynedexter

near the end of week 1 and i've decided not to continue "fasting" on 600 cals per day. i just didnt take to the hungry feeling, very well.
i have however lost 3lbs of weight. maybe not all fat, but i havent been 10st 1lb for a few months.
what i did was my normal training for this week, ie turbo plus 2 road outings, but did it before dinner ie 5 hrs after lunch, or before breakfast.
eating wise i reduced my carb intake and paid attention to low GI carbs when i did eat them. 2 dinners involved no or little carbs. lots of veg, good proteins, no diet/ low fat yogurt (full fat), butter, loads of berries, oats etc.. i havent ate biscuits or crisps all week but i had a major chinese last saturday night.

one of the ideas i have taken on board is the idea of longer periods without food. ie NOT eating 6 meals a day. i sort of believe that we need to reteach our bodies to burn fat as a fuel, by going longer between meals. i dont think our metabolism will slow down after only a few hours or go to starvation mode.

i if had to hang my hat on a sustainable diet, it would involve reduced carbs, plenty of protein and fat. training on an empty stomach seems ok too.

me and my girlfriend are going to try 2 weeks of restricted carbs/ low gi carbs for 2 weeks to see how it works. 1lb per week loss is my short term target.

MikeG

Guru
My wife's running club has a GP in it, who is an excellent runner, and a strong advocate of the 5:2 (then 6:1) regime. He encouraged club members to give it a try. Despite being a big group of fit and healthy runners, about 25 of them all lost a stone or more, and they have all kept it off. The resulting improvement in performance is of course measurable, as PBs and race results are there for everyone to see.......and they have been very impressive, with promotion in the Cross Country league amongst other things. There has also been a near universal improvement in cholesterol readings, in blood pressure.........and a number of the wives are reporting that husbands have stopped snoring!!

Mike

Top Bottom