the 5. 2 diet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
To be fair, his anti posts are not really any different to your pro fad diet posting.

It isn't.

If you can't handle the opposition, avoid the discussion. As Rob posted over me, you are no better.

The fact is the OP was asking for comments from people who had done or are doing the 5:2 until you two decided to hijack the thread. There is nothing to stop either of you starting a thread about whether the 5:2 is a good diet or not.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The argument that TMHNET uses is all to do with the lack of research. Well there has been research done, and there is ongoing research. There is no research, afaik, that says that the 5:2 diet is unhealthy or bad for you.

The current diet advice being peddled by the NHS, is to eat healthy foods to a prescribed amount of calories and excercise. Well guess what? there are millions of people that are overweight, some obese, some morbidly obese, despite them knowing to eat less and move more. They simply can't do it.
And simply keep repeating the advice to them is unlikely to work.

So there needs to be another way. Perhaps 5:2 is it, perhaps not. But if nobody gives it a go, we'll never know.

I have been doing it since the first week in January. I have lost 3 stone. I have lost 5 inches from my waist. I have lost 7 inches from my stomach. I feel great and have loads of energy. I could do it forever, it is that easy. On my 5 days i eat and drink what I want, no restrictions whatsover.

If either of you know something I don't, lets hear it.

I am not arguing against the diet, regardless of my opinions on it, you can do as you wish. I simply questioned your calorie value based on my intuition, which I stated up front was based on intuition and not fact! Although, a chicken breast is likely to have double to content you give it in the above example.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
The fact is the OP was asking for comments from people who had done or are doing the 5:2 until you two decided to hijack the thread. There is nothing to stop either of you starting a thread about whether the 5:2 is a good diet or not.

I did not hijack the thread, in fact I did not express any opinion on the diet method in question. I did however offer possibly some of the most robust advice posted in this thread!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Fact of life: where there are people who are "pro" something - there will be anti's. Once again, your inability to handle them is blinding.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
Has anyone tried this?
It's basically a matter of eating normally five days of the week and having two "fast" days limiting yourself to just 500 calories.
A friend of my claims to have lost 7lbs in a week!!
I've been doing it for a fortnight (and have returned to the gym too) and I'm 2lb heavier!
I have lost 14lbs over a few months, I prefer to do 4:3 until I get down to my goal weight then I will hit the 5:2 it is just that bit quicker doing the 4:3 and just as easy, in actual fact I feel really good on fast days.

PK99

Legendary Member
I've been doing it for a fortnight (and have returned to the gym too) and I'm 2lb heavier!

Best, ie least variable for me, time of day for checking weight is first thing in the morning after, errm, clearing the decks. Day to day when not dieting that is stable to 500g, last thing at night is so dependant on what I've eaten/drunk during the day.

Re the gym, my daughter was an Oxford rower (college not blue) and the advice from the professional coach was: hard training = muscle damage, repair requires water, hence if starting hard training in the gym they should expect to put on some weight but at first it would be water not muscle. I had never heard that before but it seemed to make sence.

michaelcycle

Re the gym, my daughter was an Oxford rower (college not blue) and the advice from the professional coach was: hard training = muscle damage, repair requires water, hence if starting hard training in the gym they should expect to put on some weight but at first it would be water not muscle. I had never heard that before but it seemed to make sence.

That's pretty much right.

However, what this thread really shows is that whilst people say they want to lose weight in reality what they want to do is lose fat and improve body composition.

You can't really get a good idea of that is you are going by scale weight alone so tracking other things like BF%, measurements, taking photos of appearance as well is a good idea.

The Jogger

Legendary Member

However, what this thread really shows is that whilst people say they want to lose weight in reality what they want to do is lose fat and improve body composition.

You can't really get a good idea of that is you are going by scale weight alone so tracking other things like BF%, measurements, taking photos of appearance as well is a good idea.

That is one of the things you are told to pay attention to especially waist measurement. I like to lose the weight and the inches.

PK99

Legendary Member

Agreed. I have plateaued a number of times all the while cutting new notches on by belts as weight shifted around the body

PK99

Legendary Member
2 days eating 500cals is "healthy"?

?

Actually, I have real data to confirm that it is. I have regular comprehensive blood tests for a long term condition. Since starting the 5:2 diet my bloods have shown and across the board improvement - I have made no other change.

OP
OP
Sandra6

Sandra6

Veteran
Interesting points made from both sides of the argument, thank you.
I've decided not to continue though. Past experience tells me calorie restriction really doesn't do it for me, so I'm back to the gym and cutting out the rubbish. Well, starting on Monday I will be:thumbsup:

subaqua

What’s the point
The argument that TMHNET uses is all to do with the lack of research. Well there has been research done, and there is ongoing research. There is no research, afaik, that says that the 5:2 diet is unhealthy or bad for you.

The current diet advice being peddled by the NHS, is to eat healthy foods to a prescribed amount of calories and excercise. Well guess what? there are millions of people that are overweight, some obese, some morbidly obese, despite them knowing to eat less and move more. They simply can't do it.
And simply keep repeating the advice to them is unlikely to work.

So there needs to be another way. Perhaps 5:2 is it, perhaps not. But if nobody gives it a go, we'll never know.

I have been doing it since the first week in January. I have lost 3 stone. I have lost 5 inches from my waist. I have lost 7 inches from my stomach. I feel great and have loads of energy. I could do it forever, it is that easy. On my 5 days i eat and drink what I want, no restrictions whatsover.

If either of you know something I don't, lets hear it.

wifey started it and has had a sensible loss off weight, a significant short term memory improvement and her cholesterol level has dropped another point to 3.9 , with the LDL and HDL in teh right proportions .

I also use it and have had a good result from it . the Horizon program and the book make good reading viewing. the super scales we have show a fat content reducing weekly . can I continue this for ever- yes , There is no reason I cant . even on Holiday i managed 2 days a week with 600 Calories a day without restricting my enjoyment of being on holiday. the whole thing has left me feeling less hungry overall. somedays ( fasting and non fasting) i have to make myself eat because i am just not hungry.

Paul99

Über Member
Interesting points made from both sides of the argument, thank you.
I've decided not to continue though. Past experience tells me calorie restriction really doesn't do it for me, so I'm back to the gym and cutting out the rubbish. Well, starting on Monday I will be:thumbsup:

And that is the most sensible thing to do... whatever you feel will work best for you is the thing most likely to work. Good luck with your weight loss.

Top Bottom