The 70's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stephec

Legendary Member
As kids, we had a secondhand one of these in the late '80s/early '90s, and I liked it so much that my best friend at the time and I pretended that I married it. :blush:

We hosed the 'lucky lady' down, cleaning 'her', before pretending to get all cleaned and dressed up ourselves. Then we had the ceremony in the front garden and on the pavement in front of the house with my friend being the Minister and the Best Man Boy, before the pretend pictures were taken!

Sweet, but a bit odd and heck only knows what our parents must have thought! :rofl:
As for the face, I remember seeing it as being like a dog or similar, but I always saw 'her' as being her own species of little bouncing animal. :hyper:
Actually 'she' was always a boy really (ooh err!).

With hindsight, I now realise that even though I was about 7 at the time, I had already been living in sin as I had rode 'her' plenty of times before we got married!! (And what's more, everyone else had already ridden 'her' too.... The slag!!) :giggle:

My 'wife' got thrown out one day scarring me for life upsetting me :cry:, but, at least we were happy together for the time we had! :laugh:
With it being the 1970's you could've took her on Mr + Mrs to meet Derek Baty.

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
One of the many things I remember from the 70s that no-one has mentioned yet was Metal Mickey.
I remember watching that every Saturday night when I young - it was on just before Mind Your Language.
Oh and I had a Raleigh Spider - my friends had Choppers and Grifters but we couldn't afford one. I then moved onto a Sun Super Five - silver 5 speed drop bars and a killer saddle. Still rode it miles though and wearing jeans at that!

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Ha yes , Metal Mickey and Dusty bin 321 . I bet everyone that remembers it can do the 321 thing with their fingers :laugh:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Ha yes , Metal Mickey and Dusty bin 321 . I bet everyone that remembers it can do the 321 thing with their fingers :laugh:
Never tried the 321 thing but I can still do the Vulcan greeting/salute without even thinking about it....................................Live Long and Prosper. :becool:

snorri

Legendary Member
My parents wouldn't let me keep the "legalise pot" one. I had absolutely no idea what it meant, when I bought it..
Reminds me of the time our class was presented with pencils bearing the message 'Temperance is good for me' and no one had a clue as to the meaning of 'temperance'.
Funny thing is, I can still remember it so maybe the message did get through after all:smile:.

Venod

Eh up
Hyde Park free concert 1970 http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/Hyde-park-9-12-70.html
Holywood Festival http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/Holly-fest-menu.70.html
Weeley http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/weeley-festival.html
Great Western http://www.ukrockfestivals.com/Great-Western-Fest.html

Some of the places above I lost or expanded some brain cells in the 70s got married 73 still together & still in love, summer of 76 on strike in the sunshine, 77 son born changed jobs a couple of times, last one 78 which lasted 33 years that enabled me to retire early with a bit of pension. realised that married life was increasing my waistline so started playing squash 76 which led to running (it became a lifetime choice) which led me to get back into cycling (also a lifetime choice) bought 1st and 2nd house (2nd one lived in for 23 years) punk passed me by, so much other good stuff about away from the mainstream, so I would have to say the 70s was a life changing decade for me.

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
I had similar connection to an Irish Mail, but that was in the "60s. This is a picture from Classic Pedalcars site.
DSCF3666.jpg

It was just like this one, and named Colleen. her handle broke, and a new one was fabricated. When that one broke, I was already quite on the bicycles, and the sweet Colleen was passed on to the neighbor children. She was repaired and re-tired many times, and I think she was still around the neighborhood when I was in high school.
Home made go karts. A few planks of wood, a handfull of nails or screws, some pram wheels and a yard of rope for the steering....
Old prams were quickly relieved of their wheels for such things, you had to be quick.
Hurtling down the local village hill...good job there were'nt so many cars around then.

howard2107

Most of the 70's stuff wasn't racist, it was funny, and seen as that by ALL who watched it. Love thy neighbour was fantastic, and i have never met anyone who was offended by it, black or white, but i bet it will never be re run.

Top Bottom