The 70's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Just watching something on tv and its 70's themed . I was born in 73 but remember pebble mill , i'm sure it was pebble mill at 1 .
Bagpuss was a fave of mine and i had magic roundabout wall paper in my bedroom .
I remember watching CHIPS and Monkey , Monkey magic while cuddled up with my Dad :smile:
Maybe i'm edging into the early 80's though ?

TVC

Nope, proper 70s that.

With reference to the programme you are watching, this thread is liable to detail the mysogemy and racism that ran through tv.

So for openers I give you "Mind Your Language". Given that as a small child I watched the black and white minstrels and the routines of Jimmy Tarbuck and Jim Davidson, I thought this was a just little bit racist.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
I liked Mind Your Language, but I hated the Black and White Minstrels because it was crap. I didn't like The Good Old Days neither because that was crap too. I liked The Goodies, although actually it was rarely as funny as we hoped it would be. Blakes 7 was good, at least the first series. Saturday night was usually pretty good, to be fair. I didn't even mind The Duchess of Duke Street. Porridge and Rising Damp were good. Musically it was pretty boring until 1977 when it suddenly became amazing. Sad it only lasted three years. They coincided with the only three years of school I didn't hate.

TVC

I'll see your "Mind your language" and raise you a "Love thy neighbour"!
I disagree, love thy neighbour targetted the "sambos" (Mods: a direct quote from the programme, if you Google love thy neighbour and sambo you will find many internet bigots trying to justify this - and I speak as a"honky"). Mind Your Language applied the scattergun approach targeting anyone from the French and Germans through the Colonial nations to any generic swivel headed brown person. Thoroughly rotten.

TVC

The 70's saw AC/DC at their best and Black Sabbath, pretty cool to me, but I'm 45.
I'm 49, I win. There was sone interesting stuff hapening, but we are talking about sexism, racism and bigotry on mainstream tv, I mean, it's a wonder none of those working on telly in the 70s ended up on the sex offenders register......

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I disagree, love thy neighbour targetted the "sambos" (Mods: a direct quote from the programme, if you Google love thy neighbour and sambo you will find many internet bigots trying to justify this - and I speak as a"honky"). Mind Your Language applied the scattergun approach targeting anyone from the French and Germans through the Colonial nations to any generic swivel headed brown person. Thoroughly rotten.

just checking but are you saying Love thy neighbour was bad or OK (in a sub-Alf Garnet way). Reason for checking was the "i disagree" line

I seem to remember it being crap (artistically) and pretty dodgy racist-wise even for my childood sensitivities but the racist white guy was the but of the joke more often than not wasn't he ?
Of its time - and best left there certainly.

TVC

just checking but are you saying Love thy neighbour was bad or OK (in a sub-Alf Garnet way). Reason for checking was the "i disagree" line

I seem to remember it being crap (artistically) and pretty dodgy racist-wise even for my childood sensitivities but the racist white guy was the but of the joke more often than not wasn't he ?
Of its time - and best left there certainly.
It was unacceptable, the justification was to laugh at the bigot, but stuff in as many black jokes as possible just to keep it ticking over... In Are you being served Mr Humfries always won, but not after he had to spend 20 minutes mincing around and doing camp jokes.

So back to Mind Your Language, for anyone born in the 80s or later, see how many crass racial steriotypes you can spot in three minutes:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
It was unacceptable, the justification was to laugh at the bigot, but stuff in as many black jokes as possible just to keep it ticking over... In Are you being served Mr Humfries always won, but not after he had to spend 20 minutes mincing around and doing camp jokes.

So back to Mind Your Language, for anyone born in the 80s or later, see how many crass racial steriotypes you can spot in three minutes:

These programs were funny at the time, and still are to some. Damn! i've taken the bait!:unsure:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
An lot of Milligan & the Q series had stereotype asian skits and ladies not wearing much, a bit embarrassing for a young un watching with his parents but the genuinely inventive absurd nondenominational funny was worth the cringe moments.

Another mind your language lite program was it aint half hot mum.

But enough of the po faced thread hijack into PC world.

The Clangers were magnificent
Mr Benn
Bod - more for guessing Alberto Frog's milkshake tho.
The magic roundabout
Michael Bentine' Potty Time
The Ghosts of Mottley Hall
Rentaghost
Dr Who particularly with Tom Baker
Never liked Worzel Gummidge
In watched Magpie rather than Blue Peter and Tiswas over Swap Shop.

As I got a bit older:
Hawaii 5 0
Kokak
Starskey and Hutch
The Professionals - the only british *cop* show I got into.
Tales of the Unexpected
The two Ronnies
Dave Allen

I hated the variety shows, Seaside Special, Generation Game and such.

I do wonder why things like Citizen Smith and Get Some In don't get an airing even on the freeview ITV 27 channels and such like, I don't remember them being *ist but maybe just very dated nowadays. Freedom for Tooting.

One of the little 5 minute, end of kids telly Nationwide is coming on, cartoons really stuck with me too for its oddness.

Ludwig.

A classical music playing Fabergé egg like robot who just appeared in a forest and had little adventures with the wildlife and a birdwatcher who looked like a Potty Time escapee. Brilliant nonsense.

Top Bottom