The 70's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Love Thy Neighbour was a reflection of Britain as it was then, easy look back claiming it was something else. Especially when viewed through the eyes of a schoolkid at the time.

The emphasis wasn't on the white guy(Eddie) getting one up on the black guy(Bill), getting laughs at his expense. The black guy was also the better educated of the two. The jokes often backfired, with the black guy coming out better. The two wives got on with one another, leaving Eddie often out on his own. Wasn't he a Man U fan?

Situation was later reversed when they tried moving him (Eddie) to Australia, where he was now the odd one out. Didn't really catch on in the same way as the British version though. Failed because the two cultures were too close together, at the time.

classic33

Leg End Member
The hottest summer average temperature in the UK since records began. 1976. For the UK

Standpipes!

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
I remember my primary school Deputy Head, Mrs Ostle standing in assembly that summer telling us not to flush the toilets if we only had a wee. That was one of the responses to the droughts that summer.
Bricks in the cisterns.

...summer of '76 - hard to forget that one. We were doing a cross country run at school and it was so hot we had a swim in the Kennet to cool down. Pottered in last as usual, and had a hard time convincing the PE teacher we were dripping wet because of the heat.

If anyone has seen Kes, and that scene on the playing field, could easily have been filmed at my school, with me hanging from the crossbar and trying to avoid any contact with the ball. Rugby was the worst though, middle of winter on a frozen pitch. Hated all of that sports stuff, apart from swimming, but a bit of rose-tinted-glasses now looking back............

Katherine

Guru
I liked Mind Your Language, but I hated the Black and White Minstrels because it was crap. I didn't like The Good Old Days neither because that was crap too. I liked The Goodies, although actually it was rarely as funny as we hoped it would be. Blakes 7 was good, at least the first series. Saturday night was usually pretty good, to be fair. I didn't even mind The Duchess of Duke Street. Porridge and Rising Damp were good. Musically it was pretty boring until 1977 when it suddenly became amazing. Sad it only lasted three years. They coincided with the only three years of school I didn't hate.

Blake 7... Sigh... :girl:

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
No one has mentioned the The Sweeney, ground breaking TV in its day.

Some great films came out too.

The Godfather
The Sting
Rollerball (a cult classic)

And some really cheesy music and bands.

the Bay City Rollers
Kenny
Brotherhood of Man

And some great bands
Led Zep
eagles
ELP

To name a few.

Along with sugar and bread shortages, three day week, power cuts, fuel shotages and the TV shutting down at ten.

And the bullying bastard Mr Biddle the PE master at my school

Salar

A fish out of water
What about the films though, look at these brilliant films of the 70's and there are many more:-

The Deer Hunter
Deliverance
Taxi Driver
The Exorcist
Clockwork Orange
Jaws
Godfather
Alien
Apocalypse Now
One flew over the cuckoos nest
French Connection
Get Carter