The 70's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Can remember Carlisle Utd being top of the football league, eggs being fried on car bonnets, the first digital watches (heralding the surefire end of the Swiss watch industry), three star jumpers and 45mph mopeds which all my pals had, giving a big world and happy days to 16 year olds. My dad getting his first new car August 1st 1976, it was red Datsun 120y, all the neighbours, came round to look at it, after a succession of crap British Leyland things, it was like a spaceship!

datsun_sunny_3.jpg

Salar

A fish out of water
My first car was a 1974 Datsun 120y coupe, which soon rusted away to be replaced by an 1800 Marina.

120ycoupe.jpg

Same as this one.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Like others i have memories of that summer of 1976. Swimming in the local reservoir, even though the water was freezing(very dangerous), going fishing with my brother(the only time i've tried it) in the river at Ribchester, and driving there in my brothers 1963 VW Beetle which had more fibreglass patch ups than original body and this bloke winning two golds at the Montreal Olympics.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBTG-QwbNsE

raleighnut

Legendary Member
1976.............................................:becool:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKKBgsv8t2A&feature=player_detailpage

I worked all summer holiday at the garage that I was the Saturday lad at,
Money in my pocket.............first year of getting served in the pub.........................fags at ten bob for 20.....and getting to nick my cousins Carlton Clubman (the one I've still got) as my summer 'ride' (amongst other non-cycling 'rides' :whistle:)

I was king for a year..........................................:cheers::wahhey: :hyper:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Star Wars Episode 4

That is all.
We just called it 'Star Wars' then though... the opening scene still impresses me: the shear size of that space ship on the cinema screen.... and that wasn't even the star destroyer! I don't think I've had a better cinema experience since.

And of course there was Grease! I wanted to grow up to be Danny and marry someone like Sandy. I wanted a car like Greased Lightning and big greasy quiff... but thankfully that didn't happen.

Then there was Hooper.... god i so wanted to be a stuntman when i grew up. My brother and i used to practise doing stunts (big skids and jumps) on our bikes (he held the 'kid jump' record... seven in total... on a Grifter!).

We even enjoyed the power cuts.

I turned 10 in '79 and i knew then that the best years of my life were pretty much over

gbb

Legendary Member
I was a teenager of the 70s (born 58)..
British bulldogs, now outlawed. Never did us any harm eh :B)
Clackers, real ones with string, not those health a safety abominations that prevented your wrists getting broken...Never did us any harm eh :B)

Dressed crap, holes in yer knees, tank tops and long hair, FS1Es, choppers, youth clubs, air rifles, catapaults, ferreting, shops closed on Sundays, going to the shops and getting 20 Embassy for your mum ...and you're only 12 years old,, TISWAS, The Banana Bunch...etc etc etc.
Best time of my life without a doubt.

I was talking some time ago with my young colleague. He's 21. I talked about the things we'd done, seen, world events (moon landings, fall of the Berlin Wall etc)...he said...i don't think ive ever seen anything worth telling my kids in years to come. It seemed to him we (in the 70s and 80s) had groundbreaking, interesting stuff around us....he said nothing seems interesting any more.

Top Bottom