The 70's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cheddar George

oober member
I remember getting the first continental quilt in our house. That was definatly the start of not wanting to get up in the winter.

Far too snug:biggrin:

My parents had the first one in our house, unfortunately they vastly underestimated the tog rating system and had to take it back the next saturday to exchange for a lighter one.

midlife

Guru
I was 10 years old in 1970 so those were my Formative years :smile:

Is the OP talking about "Cradle to Grave" set in 1973 and is a take on Danny Bakers book "Goiong to Sea in a Seive" ? If so it was funnfy for someone like me who lived the times :biggrin:

Shaun

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I liked the 70s. Ah youth!
Yes, so did I and I get cheesed off when the arty-farty types go on telly and claim it was the decade that taste forgot. As the recent TV series on C4 showed (it was on last Saturday night), it's easy to look back through today's lens and judge the past, especially fashion. We often forget that society evolves all the time so in 30 -40 years from now, someone will be looking back at now and harshly criticising it.

That being said, I had a great childhood in the 70's: Long hot summers (1976 anyone?), hardly any cars around on my bike^_^, great telly - Tom Baker as Dr Who, Porridge, Dads Army. Morecambe & Wise etc. Great movies, Jaws, Star Wars. Great music - Pink Floyd released DSOTM. Yes, punk happened, but by the end of the decade it had fizzled out and Floyd had a massive hit with Another Brick in the Wall^_^.

gbb

Legendary Member
I was 10 years old in 1970 so those were my Formative years :smile:

Is the OP talking about "Cradle to Grave" set in 1973 and is a take on Danny Bakers book "Goiong to Sea in a Seive" ? If so it was funnfy for someone like me who lived the times :biggrin:

Shaun
Watched that, excellent stuff.

I'm 55 and remember the 70s very well (although I preferred the 80s).

Liked the clothes: Levis sta prest trousers, tonic trousers, Harrrington jackets, DMs, brouges, Ben Shermans, but hated loons, flares, bell-bottoms, jumbo collars, budgie jackets, tank tops etc. The hair styles, though, were terrible.

Music tastes started with Slade (their music is still good today) then developed into Genesis (with Peter Gabriel) then Pink Floyd, Supertramp, Yes, Mike Oldfield, King Crimson, ELP, Bob Marley....

Had my first Indian at the age of 13 (a vindaloo :eek:) and have loved Indian food ever since. Fell in love with downhill skiing, and didn't achieve the O and A-level results expected of me due to Siddhartha and Jonathan Livingstone Seagull.

A lot of the TV programmes have already been mentioned above, but my favourite was Alias Smith and Jones. Plus any cricket matches shown on BBC at the time.

1976 convinced me that holidays were better than studying/work and I still hold that view very strongly. :becool:

And then the 70s moved into the 80s and I moved into my 20s...:cheers::hungry::wub: :rose::smooch::cheers::bicycle::cheers:

Last edited:
...anyone else have those shoes with a compass built into the heel, and them ones with animal footprints underneath? Used to save up my paper round money to get high-waister trousers and Brutus shirts with rounded collars, and of course a leather bomber jacket, and then a real long leather one like Keanu Reeves in the Matrix, and a parka - smelled awful when raining and wet........

Mireystock

SIip-slidin' down Big Pig...
Tony Bastable.

(Great name.)

Reactions: gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Ice on the inside of the windows in winter :santa:
1970s, we lived in dad and mums married quarters, we had steel window frames, single pane of glass. Frosty mornings had you scraping the inside to see out.
When the Vulcans took off or did engine run ups at Scampton several miles away...the windows used to shake. That beautiful, all powerfull, low rumble carried for miles :hyper:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
upload_2015-9-8_19-25-50.jpeg

Magpie now and then

upload_2015-9-8_19-26-19.jpeg

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The best time is always the one where you were young, free and single with plenty of spare cash and the seventies were indeed my time. But if we went back there now we'd realise what a miserable and intolerant decade it really was.

Top Bottom