The 70's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I do wonder why things like Citizen Smith and Get Some In don't get an airing even on the freeview ITV 27 channels and such like,

I cannot comment on those programmes seeing as I don't remember them, but from what I heard, getting old things like that back on the air now can be notoriously difficult as you need to get permission from the people in it or their family before it can be broadcast again or put onto DVD, etc.

No idea how true that is, but seemingly trying to track down kids after all these years can be next to impossible.

One of the little 5 minute, end of kids telly Nationwide is coming on, cartoons really stuck with me too for its oddness.

Ludwig.

A classical music playing Fabergé egg like robot who just appeared in a forest and had little adventures with the wildlife and a birdwatcher who looked like a Potty Time escapee. Brilliant nonsense.

A result of what was being smoked at the time?? :whistle:

My dad getting his first new car August 1st 1976, it was red Datsun 120y, all the neighbours, came round to look at it, after a succession of crap British Leyland things, it was like a spaceship!

datsun_sunny_3.jpg

My first car was a 1974 Datsun 120y coupe, which soon rusted away to be replaced by an 1800

Well, I am interloper to this thread as I was a kid in the '80s, but certainly, I do remember those cars about (along with other seemingly ancient things like Austin Allegros). I don't remember them being really rusty, but then, what I saw must have been the best examples of the lot to have survived that long!! :giggle:

I was talking some time ago with my young colleague. He's 21. I talked about the things we'd done, seen, world events (moon landings, fall of the Berlin Wall etc)...he said...i don't think ive ever seen anything worth telling my kids in years to come. It seemed to him we (in the 70s and 80s) had groundbreaking, interesting stuff around us....he said nothing seems interesting any more.

I think it is because everyone is so cynical of everything now and everything has been reduced to the lowest common denominator.
You have the interenet where everything can been seen and (crucually) commented on almost immediately, and where rolling 24 hour news channels take any of the great drama of having to wait half the day to find out what has happened somewhere out of things. Everyone used to see what was happening at the same time, and it was filmed by people like the BBC or ITV, not some twunt with a smart phone. The whole process took a lot longer, so if anything catastrophic did happen in between times, by the time you saw it, either the worst had happened or someone or something had saved the day (although Radio must have filled the gap to a certain extent), and you also had to wait until the morning/next day to see the papers. Most things were just slower.

And then, there was the Cold War and what was going to happen to factor in too.

It is as if we were living in a fish bowl, we were fed in dribs and drabs, and it wasn't just the news either.

Society isn't like that any more though, now we want everything yesterday and we look at the cost of everything, not the value. We are too quick to judge, to condemn, to ridicule, and now every Tom Dick and Harry has an opinion, so it has all become so cheap in comparison to what it used to be like.

There have been genuinely interesting and amazing things happening in the world in that young man's life time, but it is treated differently now. Everything is seen as crap these days.

Bohemian Rhapsody. Strange memories of being unsettled by the opera bits. I suppose I was only five.

I remember when they re - released it in the early '90s, and people on the telly were going on as if it was a long forgotten, old piece from about a hundred years ago, and that the words were some sort of ancient text that if deciphered could tell us a whole load of great mysteries like what the meaning of life was, are we alone in the universe, and, who really shot J.R. Dirty Den anyway? :rolleyes::giggle:

Granted, the film Wayne's World was where I first really heard it, but still, it wasn't THAT old at the time!

• riding my bike, helmetless, around my neighbourhood as a child (I was born in '67).
I was given a helmet c.1990, and I felt so stupid wearing it that I think it got used once and then put in a cupboard somewhere.

I eventually exchanged it at Halfords for something decent in the mid '90s, but I wish I had held onto it now purely for a laugh, I mean, it made you look like one of the mushrooms out of Super Mario, it was MASSIVE!!

My mum always watched Crown Court on ITV when I went home from work for lunch.
I didn't usually pay much attention - it was a worthy but generally dull, and probably faithful interpretation of what went on in court, probably very cheap to make, with only the single set.

Then they let the wonderful N F Simpson loose on the script writing. The result was

a surreal libel case concerning a home for the elderly converted from a left luggage facility 3000 feet up in the Cairngorms, with the toilet block at the foot of the cliff. A minor gem of the era!

Umm, yet again, what were they smoking??

Last edited:

martint235

Dog on a bike
Cable TV. I kid you not but it was unlike the cable today. It arrived in the house at a little box on the window ledge behind the TV. That was also where you had to go to change channel. Eventually Reddifusion made us get an aerial ostensibly to free up the network for proper cable. It didn't arrive until much later though on entirely different cables. It does gall a little though that my dad, living in darkest Lancashire, has high speed fibre available while I, in London, can't get it and have no timetable for it to be installed.

And forget the Cold War, what about the Cod War where our navy battled the mighty Icelandic

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Cable TV. I kid you not but it was unlike the cable today. It arrived in the house at a little box on the window ledge behind the TV. That was also where you had to go to change channel. Eventually Reddifusion made us get an aerial ostensibly to free up the network for proper cable. It didn't arrive until much later though on entirely different cables. It does gall a little though that my dad, living in darkest Lancashire, has high speed fibre available while I, in London, can't get it and have no timetable for it to be installed.

And forget the Cold War, what about the Cod War where our navy battled the mighty Icelandic

The average person never had anything like that though, not at least until BSkyB and all that parlarvar in the '80s anyway surely?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
1970 I bought my first bike with my own money earned from working in a butchers shop in Paddington, I was 12/13; a Dawes Kingpin it cost £38.14s.3d.

image.jpg

Decimalisation came in '71 15 th Feb I think, the same day I opened my first bank account with Lloyds.

Remember Green Shield Stamps? Came free with shopping in Tescos and fuel, stuck em in a book, saved the books and swapped them for stuff in a catalogue shop like Argos.

Cresta- "its frothy man".

KitKats were biscuitier.

Club biscuits where chocolatier.

A thousand and one would clean a big big carpet for less than half a crown.

And for some reason John Collier's was "the window to watch "

martint235

Dog on a bike
The average person never had anything like that though, not at least until BSkyB and all that parlarvar in the '80s anyway surely?
It was common for Rediffusion (can't remember how they used to spell it). You got 3 channels, A, B and C and you clicked the dial like switch on the window ledge between them. We got an aerial I'd guess around 1980 but nothing at all happened with the cable until as you say the advent of modern cable.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
  • riding my bike, helmetless, around my neighbourhood as a child (I was born in '67).
  • playing in the bushes in my neighbourhood, with neither my parents nor I having any fear of nasty perverts hiding in them.
  • living in a house that was actually a reasonable size, with large front and back yards.
... and now? Tiny houses, weirdos everywhere, and bloody mandatory helmet laws. :sad: I wish I could just go back to the '70s.
That one passed me by, when did it happen?

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
In 1970 I turned into a teenager. I had a great time in the 70's. Great music, well most of it anyway, there were many exceptions.The Bay City Rollers for one. I was into prog rock and blues from an early age. Also i liked the clothes of the time. Ben Sherman and Brutus shirts. High waisted trousers and jeans, platform shoes, Harrington jackets, I had the lot. I got my motorbike license in 1974, and started work.
If I had to pick a year I would go for 1977. I had excess money, transport and had a ball, going to many gigs, Genesis, Yes, Pink Floyd, etc. It all turned a bit serious as1980 approached.

Hyslop

Veteran
Anybody mentioned clogs,Hai Karate,and the female counterpart to Brut-the name of which I think was Kiku(CS Gas in-a-bottle!)Adidas Samba,as yet?I ll have a full look next time I need reminded of my vast age!!:smile:

U

User32269

It ain't half hot mum. Crown court. Rainbow. All watched wearing a shirt with hot air balloon pattern and 2 foot wide collar, platform soled maroon and green shoes, and "brush denim" brown and white flares with a kung fu fighter embroidered on sides.
Wish I could afford therapy!

Top Bottom