The 8 o’clock nhs clapping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
No sweeping statements or inclusion of persons unknown in my imagination, simply an observation of the self gratifying and hypocritical behaviours of MY neighbours.

Well I can say that is absolutely nothing like my neighbours. Two of who a few houses away are NHS workers.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Charing Cross Hospital is about a mile from here. There are plenty of houses within a few hundred yards of it. I've been wondering if the people working there think "What a useless bunch of selfish show-offs" when they hear a ripple of applause at 8pm on Thursdays.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I may get flamed, shot then hanged, drawn and quartered for this but I've a suspicion that staff in hospital departments less newsworthy than ICU are twiddling their thumbs while sick people hover at home, reluctant to call their GP or make follow-up hospital appointments.

Private Eye says: "This virus is causing a surge of deaths, particularly in the sick and elderly, whereas lockdown is causing a smaller surge in non-Covid deaths and a steady, sustained increase in harm to those who have their whole lives ahead of them.

Brutally put, 100 percent of us are making sacrifices to save 0.5 percent of us (or less). Children are being harmed to save adults; the poor are being harmed more than the rich; and some people have become so conditioned to "stay at home" that not even a medical emergency will tempt them to seek help."

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I may get flamed, shot then hanged, drawn and quartered for this but I've a suspicion that staff in hospital departments less newsworthy than ICU are twiddling their thumbs while sick people hover at home, reluctant to call their GP or make follow-up hospital appointments.

Private Eye says: "This virus is causing a surge of deaths, particularly in the sick and elderly, whereas lockdown is causing a smaller surge in non-Covid deaths and a steady, sustained increase in harm to those who have their whole lives ahead of them.

Brutally put, 100 percent of us are making sacrifices to save 0.5 percent of us (or less). Children are being harmed to save adults; the poor are being harmed more than the rich; and some people have become so conditioned to "stay at home" that not even a medical emergency will tempt them to seek help."

You will not get flamed etc by me.

Agree 100%

Mrs @BoldonLad requires periodic (3 monthly) medication, which involves an injection. This is normally done at our GP surgery, which is effectively closed at present.

So far, it has taken three long phone calls (with. a recorded message about CV19 droning on) just to get to SPEAK to a healthcare assistant, who, questioned "why do you need this treatment".

Mrs @BoldonLad is a lot more polite than I am, and explained.

My answer would have been a mixture of:

- don't you have a computer system, with records?
- because a doctor prescribed this treatment, and, if you look at the records, I have been having it for several years.

Drago

Legendary Member
You're right Mrs Globalatititist. Mrs D only survived a few months in the NHS as the situation of managers managing managers managing managers with no end in sight, no obvious accountability, no seeming portfolio or mission drove her nuts. The NHS doesn't need a cash infusion - it needs someone to grab it by the cojonies and sort out the useless, non productive Golgafrinchan drain on resources.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

You forgot the ethnic minorities being harmed too - statistically you're twice as likely to die if you come from a bame background.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You're right Mrs Globalatititist. Mrs D only survived a few months in the NHS as the situation of managers managing managers managing managers with no end in sight, no obvious accountability, no seeming portfolio or mission drove her nuts. The NHS doesn't need a cash infusion - it needs someone to grab it by the cojonies and sort out the useless, non productive Golgafrinchan drain on resources.

My BIL was Chief Exec at a hospital in Wiltshire during the early months of austerity. Having to sack hundreds of colleagues, with whom he had trained and grown up nearly broke him and i know, certainly reduced him to tears. Despite the task he was a respected and much-liked CE and when he retired the hospital was one of the few whose finances were in the black. His successor appointed management consultant at huge cost and within months the hospital's accounts went into the red.

screenman

Legendary Member
My SIL called the doctors about 12 days ago about a spot on her nose that was not going away, 2 days later she had her appointment at the hospital booked for last Thursday, so a week from GP to hospital appointment, so some things are happening. She did not see her GP as it was done on the phone, they did have to send a picture of her nose over, which was a first for them at over 80 years old.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

Mirrors my experience of working in NHS, waste on a gigantic scale.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
There's a bloke i know who's a retired music teacher and sings in the Blackburn cathedral choir. I passed his house while out cycling a few weeks ago, about half an hour before the Thursday night clapping thing. He was outside,watering his lawn. I stopped to have a chat. He told me that he'd written a little song,praising the NHS which he accompanied with a trumpet and that he was going to sing the song that night. He said if i hung around i'd be able to hear and see the first public rendition of his little ditty. I politely declined his offer and left. I now wish i'd 'hung around' and witnessed it!:rolleyes:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.

I think there is more than a grain of truth in the Private Eye comments.
My own GP surgery has introduced a screening process even before you can get an appointment. And one of my daughters, who had a chest infection, couldn't get a face to face appointment.
Personally, I would have no problem going to A&E if one of my family had problem which I thought required A&E. But that is only because I know at my local hospital potential Covid patients are segregated even before they get into the building. - I happened to visit the hospital just as this all kicked off.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Mirrors my experience of working in NHS, waste on a gigantic scale.

A cousin by marriage is a Hospital Director at an NHS hospital in the West Country, she says the same. They got rid of the managers managing managers years ago, but the culture of waste that remains is staggering, she says it's as if a 1960s "British Leyland" approach lingers on at every level of accounting, budgeting, and supply chain. Her words.

Top Bottom