The 8 o’clock nhs clapping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Nice to see the neighbours and have bit of a wave and distant chat
Initially I suspect part of the Govt Nudge Unit to galvanise support and compliance with lockdown restrictions, sadly and to some degree (understandably) wearing thin and some other essential workers feeling irked...
As an NHS friend posted

Should I self isolate in that other section?

Ps I do the clapping thing

Venod

Eh up
Its the first time up our street I have heard clapping, but some idiot decided its OK to substitute fireworks for clapping FFS.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It was notably quieter on the clapping front around here last night, although some halfwits were still illegally settings fireworks off. So that was a pleasant hour calming the dog down.

If people want to clap, then crack on. Although any genuine appreciation appears to be morphing into outdoing the Joneses now though, with social media rife with "look at me" posts.
And around here, some of the most enthusiastic clappers appear to be the same people who are ignoring social distancing rules and who simply must have a trip to the shops everyday...

On a personal note, my experience with the NHS has been far from stellar so forgive me if I don't join in.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
The NHS workers ARE heroes and have my heartfelt respect and gratitude, but I refuse to join the neighbours I see here who turn out every Thursday at 8:00pm to aplaude each other and who even take a bow in appreciation of the applause they themselves are receiving for their own applause. These are the same people I see at other times of the week who clearly feel the rules of social distancing do not apply to themselves as they place at risk the lives of the NHS workers they are supposedly applauding every Thursday at 8:00pm. I prefer to show my appreciation of the NHS workers and their families in other ways that do not involve my participation in these self gratifying and hypocritical Thursday evening ceremonies.

screenman

Legendary Member
The NHS workers ARE heroes and have my heartfelt respect and gratitude, but I refuse to join the neighbours I see here who turn out every Thursday at 8:00pm to aplaude each other and who even take a bow in appreciation of the applause they themselves are receiving for their own applause. These are the same people I see at other times of the week who clearly feel the rules of social distancing do not apply to themselves as they place at risk the lives of the NHS workers they are supposedly applauding every Thursday at 8:00pm. I prefer to show my appreciation of the NHS workers and their families in other ways that do not involve my participation in these self gratifying and hypocritical Thursday evening ceremonies.
No

Bit if a sweeping statement there, we have been out to shop 3 times since lockdown which in our case was the 17 March we have socially distanced ourselves completely in that time, we do though walk to the bottom of our drive on a Thursday, so please do not include us in your imagination.

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
I dont think they do any harm and I can only speak for myself, it made me smile. On the other hand I do see some obnoxious people on social media congratulating themselves and calling out their non participating neighbours; I stupidly allow this to irritates me sometimes.

Im not sure you can ever get to the stage of the luxury empty beds due to the nature of the NHS's work. What is achievable is a better staff to patient ratio to ease some pressure. They dont make it an attractive line of work to go into though.

Load of bolloks.
They have time to make videos of nurses dancing and cheering...I'd love that if my mum had just died ..
From what I'm told about my local massive hospital,it's empty,staff mostly sat around eating donated chocolate and cakes.
You can't get any treatment.
Fooking joke
Is this post for real?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 26715

I still do not understand the basic maths to cut costs you employ agency nurses who cost more per hour, unless it means they are on zero hours contract & can just be got rid of if they become surplus.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
I still do not understand the basic maths to cut costs you employ agency nurses who cost more per hour, unless it means they are on zero hours contract & can just be got rid of if they become surplus.
And you have just answered yourself :okay:

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite

I suspect that the hourly cost of agency staff, if you take into account the “hidden” costs eg sick pay, pension, potential redundancy pay, holiday pay,..... etc are less than permenant NHS.

The same is true in other areas, eg supply teachers.

Not necessarily saying I agree with the approach.

screenman

Legendary Member

No holiday pay, no pension, no sick pay. It costs a lot more to employ somebody than what they get in their pay packet.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
No

Bit if a sweeping statement there, we have been out to shop 3 times since lockdown which in our case was the 17 March we have socially distanced ourselves completely in that time, we do though walk to the bottom of our drive on a Thursday, so please do not include us in your imagination.
No sweeping statements or inclusion of persons unknown in my imagination, simply an observation of the self gratifying and hypocritical behaviours of MY neighbours.

Top Bottom