The AA are parasites..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The AA in particular (and probably most insurers) are scum. I agree with the posters that said it's a racket, an organised scammery / theft. I was insured with the AA about ten or so years ago and had an awful experience:

I had just bought a brand new Renault. Only 2 weeks into owning it, a tipper lorry takes a wrong turn into my cul-de-sac and attempts to do a 3 point turn, ripping off my front bumper moulding in the process and then just driving off without stopping. I only noticed as the tipper was leaving my road, (I'd heard the impact which made me look out).

I made a call to the AA and I asked them a hypothetical question - (and I was very clear that this was a hypothetical question)...
"If (the above scenario) happened" I said, "and if the damage was an economic repair, less than a policy increase might be, and if I chose to repair such damage at my own expense, would I be required to inform you at the AA anyway, and would it affect my no claims?"
"Oh yes" they said, "you have to inform us. But it's no big deal, if you want to repair it yourself you can, and then we just leave a note on file that there was a no-fault claim. It doesn't affect your no claims or your premium. But it would if you didn't tell us."
"Hang on" I said, "how can it be a claim (no-fault or otherwise) if I make no claim? It sounds like I'd be disadvantaged, even though I'd not even have been in the vehicle!"
"Oh" she said, "it's just industry terminology, it's not really seen as a claim. Has there been an incident with your vehicle that you need to tell us about?"
"Definitely not" I said. And that was that, I thought.

Anyway come the following year at renewal time, everything has gone up. When I look into why, there is now an "at fault claim" on my record.
I spoke with the AA. Their answer was that I had been involved in a claim on that date and they had a record of it, and because no-one else was identified I was deemed at fault. But I hadn't claimed! And nor could I be at fault! It was parked lawfully in a marked parking bay, and I wasn't in the bloody thing!
The AA had joined the dots and just guessed. The galling thing is that they didn't know of an incident, and yet there was no way for me to appeal this. I was firmly stuck with it.
So that was me done with AA Insurance for life, and in fact to this day I've not made a single phone call to another insurer despite that car being hit another 5 times in its life with me. Each time, (even tough I wasn't ever at fault), I just accepted the (thankfully minor) damage, I'd rather not involve insurers again if I can help it. Worse than bloody lawyers they are.

alicat

Legendary Member
The AA had joined the dots and just guessed.

You have a duty of good faith towards your insurer. Most insurers will join the dots in the circumstances you describe.

Drago

Legendary Member
The AA in particular (and probably most insurers) are scum. I agree with the posters that said it's a racket, an organised scammery / theft. I was insured with the AA about ten or so years ago and had an awful experience:

I had just bought a brand new Renault. Only 2 weeks into owning it, a tipper lorry takes a wrong turn into my cul-de-sac and attempts to do a 3 point turn, ripping off my front bumper moulding in the process and then just driving off without stopping. I only noticed as the tipper was leaving my road, (I'd heard the impact which made me look out).

I made a call to the AA and I asked them a hypothetical question - (and I was very clear that this was a hypothetical question)...
"If (the above scenario) happened" I said, "and if the damage was an economic repair, less than a policy increase might be, and if I chose to repair such damage at my own expense, would I be required to inform you at the AA anyway, and would it affect my no claims?"
"Oh yes" they said, "you have to inform us. But it's no big deal, if you want to repair it yourself you can, and then we just leave a note on file that there was a no-fault claim. It doesn't affect your no claims or your premium. But it would if you didn't tell us."
"Hang on" I said, "how can it be a claim (no-fault or otherwise) if I make no claim? It sounds like I'd be disadvantaged, even though I'd not even have been in the vehicle!"
"Oh" she said, "it's just industry terminology, it's not really seen as a claim. Has there been an incident with your vehicle that you need to tell us about?"
"Definitely not" I said. And that was that, I thought.

Anyway come the following year at renewal time, everything has gone up. When I look into why, there is now an "at fault claim" on my record.
I spoke with the AA. Their answer was that I had been involved in a claim on that date and they had a record of it, and because no-one else was identified I was deemed at fault. But I hadn't claimed! And nor could I be at fault! It was parked lawfully in a marked parking bay, and I wasn't in the bloody thing!
The AA had joined the dots and just guessed. The galling thing is that they didn't know of an incident, and yet there was no way for me to appeal this. I was firmly stuck with it.
So that was me done with AA Insurance for life, and in fact to this day I've not made a single phone call to another insurer despite that car being hit another 5 times in its life with me. Each time, (even tough I wasn't ever at fault), I just accepted the (thankfully minor) damage, I'd rather not involve insurers again if I can help it. Worse than bloody lawyers they are.
Challenge it. It's an offence under GDPR and DPA to keep information on record that they know to be untrue. If you've already informed them of this and they have not acted then they have committed an offence, very hefty potential fines for this sort of thing.

OP
OP
wafter

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
You have a duty of good faith towards your insurer. Most insurers will join the dots in the circumstances you describe.
... while in return the insurers evidently have a "duty" to mercilessly shaft you at any given opportunity :rolleyes:

From your responses to this thread I can only conclude that you either work in the industry and feel compelled to defend the indefensible.

Mod edit: some text deleted - if you feel someone is trolling please report the offending post(s) rather than accusing members in-thread. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

screenman

Legendary Member
You're the luckiest mofo in christendom then.

Not really, I buy a quality product from a quality company and pay what I consider a reasonable price. I also know not to claim for a "free" windscreen repair or report an incident that happened to something the insurers were insuring and not expect them to log it. Nor am I daft enough to think any profit driven industry is motivated by much more than profit.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler

Good faith when I've made a modification to my car perhaps... but for them to decide randomly that an incident has occurred when they have not a jot of anything to suggest that, save from a theoretical policy question, well that is disingenuous at best, but probably closer to corrupt. If the police gave you a caution for assault (but never told you) because they overheard you saying you might have smacked someone once, you'd be utterly livid.

I didn't make a claim. My vehicle had been damaged I was trying to weigh up whether a claim or a notification even, was worth the hassle. Not defraud the insurer.
The insurer didn't join dots, they decided that there had been (without doubt) an incident, with not a shred of evidence of that. That's appalling however you might spin it.

gbb

Legendary Member
Good faith when I've made a modification to my car perhaps... but for them to decide randomly that an incident has occurred when they have not a jot of anything to suggest that, save from a theoretical policy question, well that is disingenuous at best, but probably closer to corrupt. If the police gave you a caution for assault (but never told you) because they overheard you saying you might have smacked someone once, you'd be utterly livid.

I didn't make a claim. My vehicle had been damaged I was trying to weigh up whether a claim or a notification even, was worth the hassle. Not defraud the insurer.
The insurer didn't join dots, they decided that there had been (without doubt) an incident, with not a shred of evidence of that. That's appalling however you might spin it.
Unfortunately, certainly with my last few insurers, they are really quite specific and open in their policy...if your vehicle is involved in an accident, however small, you MUST report the fact to them irrespective of whether a claim is likely or not. To fail to do so would risk invalidating your policy.
All done for their benefit of course. As I said earlier, they owe you nothing , expect nothing else from them. I long since stopped expecting anything else. Do the homework re their terms and conditions then you're not surprised or disappointed by anything, you simply know how to proceed and limit the risk of falling foul of unseen or unexpected clauses.

gbb

Legendary Member
On the flip side, I once slid into a car I n ice, lightly damaged his rear lights, my fault, details swapped, I formed my Insurance a claim was likely and sat back, took the hit the next time my insurance was due, loss of NCD and a premium hike.
2 years later I happened across the fella, we stopped and chatted, I asked if he got his car fixed ok. No problem he said, I just fixed it myself with so e parts from a scrap yard.
Hmmm...so you didnt claim ?
No, I didnt even contact your insurers, was his reply.

I went straight down to them and asked why my NCD was reduced.
You had an accident sir.
But no claim was made.
That's right, but you had an accident so your insurance went up.
But no claim was made, put up my premium, no problem but you had no right to take my NCD.
Oh.....yes....we will reimburse you and reinstate your NCD.

They tried a fast one and would have got away with it had I not seen this fella...a stranger so it was a miracle in a way.

gbb

Legendary Member
Not really, I buy a quality product from a quality company and pay what I consider a reasonable price. I also know not to claim for a "free" windscreen repair or report an incident that happened to something the insurers were insuring and not expect them to log it. Nor am I daft enough to think any profit driven industry is motivated by much more than profit.
A realists view, not a idealists view, pretty much how I see the world in general.
Realists are rarely disappointed, idealists nearly always are .

Good morning,

You may find this web site of interest it attempts to explain why car insurance premiums are what they are.

http://carinsurancepremiumsexplained.co.uk/MotorInsurance/NCD.aspx
Which allows you to add claims and ncd protection or not and see the likely effects at renewal.

http://carinsurancepremiumsexplained.co.uk/MotorInsurance/DataCapture.aspx
Which allows you to enter risk details and see the steps that go to making up a premium.

There are some preset example on the left of that screen. If you select the Safe Risk one, you will find that the cheapest premium has a quote step called Buy Market Share discount the reason why some premiums go up so much at renewal.

For practicality/confidentiality reason the number of vehicles, postcode and occupations are restricted

http://carinsurancepremiumsexplained.co.uk/
Which gives an explanation of the steps

I notice that OP mentions windscreen claims, these very rarely have an effect on NCD as they are usually considered no fault incidents and can happen to anyone at any time and they are impossible to predict statistically. Yes windscreen claims usually have excesses both at policy level and specific windscreen excess so depending on what a policy holder chooses as Vol XS will have an effect.

If you play around with the risk details and increase you Vol XS you will see a reduction in your premium.

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom