The Amazon & Visa fallout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I wonder what the effect for amazon would be if people started buying amazon cards at the supermarket to pay for purchases instead of switching cc provider. It would be interesting to know the cost to amazon of taking payment from a gift card compared to from a visa CC.
They love gift cards. A large percentage never get used.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
When I had an Amex it was a charge card only - you had to pay it off in full every month.

I believe they now offer a traditional credit card.

The old, possibly urban myth, with Amex was it had no limit.

I suspect there was one, they just didn't tell the customer what it was.

Yup, my Amex is more a CC then charge card now. Don't have to pay it all off and has a credit limit.

C R

Guru
They love gift cards. A large percentage never get used.
I was thinking if people start using those as replacement for visa CC payment instead of changing to a master card CC (which seems to be what amazon wants to force). For instance, we have a visa CC, and have no intention of getting a master card just for amazon's sake. We could buy an x pound gift card in the supermarket with our visa CC, credit it to our amazon account and use the balance. What is the cost to amazon in this case vs just accepting visa CC?

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I'm getting a £25 Amazon voucher from my job but don't shop on line. Annoying. Slight divergence sorry.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
We could buy an x pound gift card in the supermarket with our visa CC, credit it to our amazon account and use the balance. What is the cost to amazon in this case vs just accepting visa CC?

Amazon appear cash rich, but I doubt they will object to you lending them money interest free.

I'm an occasional Amazon shopper, but they are such a Goliath they cannot be beaten.

They can, of course, be ignored, as some consumers choose to do.

Sharky

Guru
She used a Grindlay's Bank cheque, and I noticed her name on the cheque was also Grindlay, meaning she was almost certainly a member of the banking family.
My old boss previously worked for the Bank of England and as staff had a BofE bank a/c and cheque book. He said that it was often the case when trying to pay by cheque that the seller didn't think that it was a real cheque/bank.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Will they still accept library cards for Kindle?

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
My old boss previously worked for the Bank of England and as staff had a BofE bank a/c and cheque book. He said that it was often the case when trying to pay by cheque that the seller didn't think that it was a real cheque/bank.

Another chequebook oneupmanship was to have a Coutt's account - the Queen's bank.

One branch in The Strand, and I believe they don't let just anyone open an account.

All a bit of a nonsense now with so many online and electronic payments, although you could still have the thrill of presenting your Coutt's debit card in a shop or restaurant.

Another chequebook oneupmanship was to have a Coutt's account - the Queen's bank.

One branch in The Strand, and I believe they don't let just anyone open an account.

All a bit of a nonsense now with so many online and electronic payments, although you could still have the thrill of presenting your Coutt's debit card in a shop or restaurant.
A boss of mine had an account with them - she told me she had an account there - can only think it was because of the cachet that she even told me. Daddy was something high up in the army I believe which was maybe how she got the account. It couldn't have been because of her position in the godforsaken company I got out of as soon as I could.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A boss of mine had an account with them - she told me she had an account there - can only think it was because of the cachet that she even told me. Daddy was something high up in the army I believe which was maybe how she got the account. It couldn't have been because of her position in the godforsaken company I got out of as soon as I could.

I can imagine something like a high up army connection might do it.

Coutt's has been owned by NatWest for years, so is now not a lot more than a small brand of theirs.

It would still be interesting to spend an hour or two in the manager's office and to check the balances on a few accounts.

Mike_P

Guru
I'm with Barclays who I've always associated with Visa, going back to the days of the original Barclaycard credit card.
For a while Barclaycard did have both Visa and MasterCard's. I had both and used the MasterCard solely for on line transactions which I have continued to do so since it changed to a Visa. I tend to change it, i.e. getting a new card number, around every two years to restrict the likelihood of any unauthorized activity like arising from card data breaches.

Top Bottom