The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Ah, The West Wing is one show that I missed out on. I take it that it has the SoV seal of approval?

Mind you, I don't really want to watch much more TV than I currently do and I am about to resubscribe to Eurosport Player so there will be a lot of cycling to watch too. Perhaps I will take a look at TWW once I have finished the Bluray boxed set (Boardwalk Empire) and Netflix series that I am watching.

I'd like to have another go at The Wire but my impaired hearing meant that I really struggled with the accents of many of the characters.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Ah, The West Wing is one show that I missed out on. I take it that it has the SoV seal of approval?

Mind you, I don't really want to watch much more TV than I currently do and I am about to resubscribe to Eurosport Player so there will be a lot of cycling to watch too. Perhaps I will take a look at TWW once I have finished the Bluray boxed set (Boardwalk Empire) and Netflix series that I am watching.

I'd like to have another go at The Wire but my impaired hearing meant that I really struggled with the accents of many of the characters.

The West Wing is brilliant, I've watched all of them twice.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I completed my second qualifying ride today. A loop that I’ve done a few times before – either starting out and heading SW, or E then S as I did today. I wanted the benefit of the SW wind to get me home easily but I hadn’t reckoned on the strength – or the coldness – of the wind on my outward leg. I was relieved to get to Josselin to start the return, only to find that the rain had started. But it was mostly light rain, and the wind helped me over the hills on the way back.

A crude map below

Map for 08032019.jpg

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I had the hardest day out ever yesterday, seems I have said that for 3 of the 4 200s so far this year! Wells Mells and a little Broader audax from Bristol to Yeovil and back. Slight catch was 3100m of elevation, all on brutal climbs and I like the long steady ones. second catch was near gale headwind out to Yeovil, with a stomach not playing ball and the legs only kicked in a bit in the afternoon. Character forming lunacy. I was scraping the barrel riding mostly alone so no shelter from the headwind and only just made it round in audax time, in fact I was 3 minutes late but I was let off, what's 3 minutes in 13.5 hours when you are lanterne rouge. Very proud of myself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Yes, folks, there is a genuine lunatic cyclist among us! :okay:

I thought I'd go back just a few years and find one of your early posts on the forum...

I have loved reading the threads, so inspiring and uplifting.

I've been cycling properly for 18 months..started out last year building up to full commuting (just 15km round trip) after moving to Somerset from living on top of a hill in Glouucestershire, but on top of a physical job with back issues and I had a knee replacement 7 years ago age 42, I am quite proud of my modest achievements. Upgraded v heavy steel mountain bike to an alu hybrid (Gert Lush is pictured left) she has done me proud. Last winter I only missed my 6.15 am starts when I had two bad bouts of flu (Nov and Feb Started doing some longer rides in the autumn exploring our new area. It is fantastic for cycling here just south of Bristol.

This year BANG, I am addicted. I worked up to regular 50-60km rides and completed my first sportive (Evans RideIt Wells in Sept) where I badly injured myself 10m from the end of the 115km ride (inc Cheddar Gorge) on Gert. I am sure I was the only one on a hybrid! I push and push but really my average speed is 20km/h which makes me very cross as I'd like to ride more with others, I bust a gut every day trying to improve speed. I bought a Merida road bike in October after recovering from the broken ribs after Wells ride (another month off bike), and am getting used to a proper fitted bike. OMG what a difference! Now the big aim is to improve speed/stamina further and get brave enough to go clipless!

Since I started using Strava in mid July, I have logged 1704km and nearly 10000m of ascent so I think around 3000km....I feel really twitchy if I miss a few days and today I have to go to work in the car, and will hate it!

Highlights were our weekend in Snowdonia in June, perfect weather and 2 big (for us) rides and I walked up Cadair Idris quite easily for the first time in 20 years, 8 years ago I could barely walk 100m, and was in constant pain. The Wells sportive was brilliant up to the last 10m....!!

Next year (a rather significant large birthday!) more sportives, mastering Doris (roadie) and possible going clipless and a touring holiday (Hebredies?) A 100 mile day? Really the commuting and weekend rides are my main guilty pleasures, it has kept me going after moving here and gradually I'm getting to know some other people, whilst doing a very unsatisfying and boring job. No hope of that changing but I'm free outside work! I really want to get my speed up to a reliable 23km/h to have some hope of riding and keeping up with others. Biggest aim is to not injure myself or get ill, I feel like I have started again three times in a year which is hard work!

The physical and psychological boost of cycling have changed my life.
I'd say that what you are doing these days is pretty inspiring! :bravo:

I'm going to be doing considerably easier challenge rides. My first qualifying lunatic ride this year will only be mad if the weather is terrible, and if it is I probably would put the ride back anyway.

Fiona R

Yes, folks, there is a genuine lunatic cyclist among us! :okay:

I thought I'd go back just a few years and find one of your early posts on the forum...

I'd say that what you are doing these days is pretty inspiring! :bravo:

I'm going to be doing considerably easier challenge rides. My first qualifying lunatic ride this year will only be mad if the weather is terrible, and if it is I probably would put the ride back anyway.
Flipping Nora! I'm still struggling with the speed, never did get up to 23km/hr unless a perfect day and roads! So I just go a bit further.... you're a great inspiration Colin. Nothing easy about what you do where you live!

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Hmmm - April is looming and I'm starting to think about getting stuck in.

Been very lazy so far this year, plus I have eaten loads of Chilli Chocolate that I have a really big thing for, so I know I'm going to be moaning on ascents. I can't complain really as it's all self inflicted. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I am having another quiet few days until this damn wind settles down, but am hoping to have a very busy month after that. I'd better not say more now though for fear of jinxing myself!

Fiona R

Hmmm - April is looming and I'm starting to think about getting stuck in.

Been very lazy so far this year, plus I have eaten loads of Chilli Chocolate that I have a really big thing for, so I know I'm going to be moaning on ascents. I can't complain really as it's all self inflicted. :rolleyes:
Chilli choc, sitting next to me just now. It has to be Lindt. Totally addicted but I try and pace myself by only buying when it's on offer.

Fiona R

I am having another quiet few days until this damn wind settles down, but am hoping to have a very busy month after that. I'd better not say more now though for fear of jinxing myself!
April is generally a blustery month, I have had enough of wind. Hope you didn't just saddle us all with even more wind!

I went out on club ride today into Bristol and up to the airport and extended westwards solo into the wind and flat lands towards Clevedon. so I did hills and Dutch hills but enjoyed the blow home. Only 78km/913m but chuffed to bits to be through 2000km so far this year and ahead of target. Really want to hit my 8000km target this year, I've never managed more than 6500. Lunacy is good for me, but the wind can hack off now!

Last edited:

steverob

Guru
I am finally on the board!

Already regretting putting 65 miles down as my target. Original plan was to have done at least two rides of this sort of distance by this time of year and here on my first, I basically blew up at 50 miles and had to limp home from there. But then, I also didn't intend on climbing Kop Hill for the first time (and coming in two minutes under my target time) on one of these rides either, so there is that to be proud of!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well, I nearly did jinx myself ...

I fell off a wall last week and landed very heavily on the pavement. When I say 'fell', it was more a case of forgetting that I was standing on a wall at the time and taking a step backwards off it and then gravity helping me down... :whistle:

Anyway, I'm in!

(I thought that I had somehow escaped unscathed from the blunder, but the hip I landed on was sore yesterday. Considering that a 1 metre drop onto a hard surface could easily shatter a hip, I think I have got off lightly, provided that it doesn't lead to hip problems in the future.)

Fiona R

Well, I nearly did jinx myself ...

I fell off a wall last week and landed very heavily on the pavement. When I say 'fell', it was more a case of forgetting that I was standing on a wall at the time and taking a step backwards off it and then gravity helping me down... :whistle:

Anyway, I'm in!

(I thought that I had somehow escaped unscathed from the blunder, but the hip I landed on was sore yesterday. Considering that a 1 metre drop onto a hard surface could easily shatter a hip, I think I have got off lightly, provided that it doesn't lead to hip problems in the future.)
Reading your report, the slight mishaps, slight misjudgement of food makes me feel so much better as that’s what happens to me. I’m not alone! Great report of a very sociable ride. Congratulations on galloping off the starting blocks in style. It does sound like a lucky escape from serious injury. Don’t let any walls/chairs/ladders tempt you this week. Probably will take a few weeks to settle down.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Reading your report, the slight mishaps, slight misjudgement of food makes me feel so much better as that’s what happens to me. I’m not alone! Great report of a very sociable ride. Congratulations on galloping off the starting blocks in style. It does sound like a lucky escape from serious injury. Don’t let any walls/chairs/ladders tempt you this week. Probably will take a few weeks to settle down.
I've just realised that the shoulder on the side I fell on is also a bit sore. It looks like the shoulder saved the hip and the hip saved the shoulder! :laugh:

It is a good job that I didn't have time to get a hand down to break the fall, because I'd probably have broken my wrist instead.

Top Bottom