The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The Bystander

Über Member
I'm in but I'm not going to go for a particularly ambitious target, just 50 miles. I managed 10 rides over 50ml last year so 13 this year will be an improvement even if not a huge stretch. My understanding is that the 13th longest ride at the end of the year determines the final "score", so maybe I'll be able to stretch myself further in accordance with the spirit of the challenge as the year progresses.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My understanding is that the 13th longest ride at the end of the year determines the final "score", so maybe I'll be able to stretch myself further in accordance with the spirit of the challenge as the year progresses.
Best to start the 'stretching' as early as possible in the challenge because it effectively gets harder the longer you leave it - e.g. if you rode 50 miles 12 times then you would have to do a further 13 rides of 51+ miles in order to complete the smallest 'stretch'! :eek:

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I see we have one ride posted in the appropriate thread (well done @aferris2 ).

I almost did my first one today but my toes got wet going through a long puddle and were *loody freezing! So, being the less than hardy quitter that I am, I headed home and missed by 0.74 miles.

The thought of my imminent hot & sour noodley soup in a mug put the dampeners on doing a bit extra to complete the challenge (50k/31.07 miles), especially as I would have to do another few hundred metres of 13% ascent which doesn't sound much and really isn't much but sometimes it is just a step (pedal?) too far.

You can see why this is the right challenge for me. I'm just not made of the sterner stuff required for the other challenges. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I am resisting the temptation to try to do my first qualifying ride in January. To be honest, I am not having to try very hard, hence the reason for this challenge in the first place! :laugh:

I am already discussing doing a ride in the second half of February, however, as long as the weather is kind to us. 10+ hours of daylight should be enough to get my 161 kms in, although a horribly early start would be required.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'm wanting to think I could be really bonkers and say 200km for lunacy but I think 100 miles is a more optimistic lunatic aim!

I'm thinking that anyone who comprehensively trashes their target on their first ride of the year should have their target compulsorily amended. :laugh:

Great ride yesterday! :notworthy:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I'm thinking that anyone who comprehensively trashes their target on their first ride of the year should have their target compulsorily amended. :laugh:

Great ride yesterday! :notworthy:
I dugged deep!

Fiona R

Um, I sort of went and did a February 200km yesterday because if the planned one on 23rd Feb doesn't happen I am down on my Rrty attempt. My first ever DIY 200km Audax (as opposed to an organised event audax). I knew gales were forecast Friday, and the forecasts showed them cutting right back by lunchtime yesterday in Somerset proper (as opposed to Bristol) so I planned my route accordingly. i had not registered that it warranted a Storm Erik tag until I got home last night!

Firstly to Bath from Bristol via Railway Path with a tailwind (and second breakfast at McDs at only 30km) and down to Norton St Phillip through Two Tunnels. Then turning directly into the now (supposedly) dying wind and climbing through Kilmersden (Jack n Jill village) and up onto Mendip all into the still very substantial headwind. at which point the husband left me (only temporarily not permanently, he was very noble accompanying me thus far starting at 7am) He carried on up and down Burrington Coombe. i headed off down Cheddar Gorge. We both had the almighty hailstorm at that point (stiff showers up to now) When I left husband our average speed was only 17.5 km/h moving time! He made it home just in time for rugby having done a solid 100km with all the climbing and a v bad back.

I was intending to push on before stopping for lunch but was frozen to the bone from the hail, and stopped at Café Gorge for lunch at only 83km. However the hugest ever doorstep delicious cheese n chutney sandwich and latte,warming up, adding arm warmers to my layers and thawing my totally frozen feet out was a wise move. i was a good 45 minutes so it's nearly 1pm with less than half done.

On I push to Glastonbury (finally half way), and push on to Highbridge, the longest 25km ever. All the height is done now but it was so depressing making such slow time into the wind and nowhere near the point I thought "I can do this"

Then a turn up the coast Burnham on Sea, Brean a loop inland with the first hint of tailwind and back into the wind up to Weston super Mare. Fairly dry and OK weather wise but still the kilometres were just not shifting. I was stopping every 90 minutres for a flapjack, banana, jelly babies. They fuelled me, always drink a lot of electrolyte. Weston is quite nice compared to the previous resorts, and I was on familiar territory again. i stopped and binged on jelly babies. Finally I turned inland, it was 4.30 and dusky the back light I had given a boost charge too was back on with full solid lights to see. The heavens opened. Then the most horrible sprint in lashing rain with a tailwind along the horrible unavoidable 5 mile stretch of A370 to Congresbury. Cars were good, blue lights went past, such a relief to turn off and back to very familiar local territory up to Yatton, round Kingston Seymour and fortunately no traffic on the lanes, now properly dark and struggling to see with my double layer cycling glasses flipped up and cap peak down trying to avoid splatter and steam. My mood had lifted tremendously even though conditions were horrendous I was making good time and my average speed was back over 20km/hr I finally believed I could do it with 25km to go and just Pier Road climb to conquer. I sheltered in the bandstand and ate the last banana, jelly babies and rang husband so he knew I was ok. Pier Road was fine and once I was out of Clevedon the routine ride through the lanes to Nailsea was dispatched and then the commute on Festival Way. I clicked through 200km turning onto our estate but did an extra victory lap to make sure (Two Tunnels didn't record) Exactly 12 hours door to door and in the end 20.7km/hr which I was pleased with. I was verging on hypothermia by now, had not felt my feet in nearly 100km. But I did it. it was supposed to be fairly easy for a 200 given low ascent totals that were all in the first half.

My lovely husband had even made me the best chilli ever! Boy was I hungry but it took an hour to thaw out post shower first.

"I'm even more convinced that I've got the right mental approach for this challenge" I don't think I have. Last night never again, today possibly in a few weeks.....a 200km that is. :hyper:

Last edited:

Fiona R

I now feel totally ashamed ... :whistle: :blush: :laugh:
I live in the soft sarf, but come from oop norf, so I know how relatively easy it is to keep riding through winter in comparison to your area when we rarely have ice/snow, and there are flatland alternatives to hills. I ddin't go out last weekend even though main roads were fine, didn't want to risk it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I live in the soft sarf, but come from oop norf, so I know how relatively easy it is to keep riding through winter in comparison to your area when we rarely have ice/snow, and there are flatland alternatives to hills. I ddin't go out last weekend even though main roads were fine, didn't want to risk it.
At least I currently have a decent excuse - I've had a stinking cold since last Tuesday! :headshake:

Top Bottom