The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I shall put myself forward for 80kms,. This should allow me to stretch 50km rides whilst leaving the MCAM rides separate.
That's a variation that I hadn't really considered!

I had purely been thinking in terms of doing rides longer than the monthly challenges but you will be using it do push you to do more intermediate-length rides.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I had purely been thinking in terms of doing rides longer than the monthly challenges

I assume that they're not mutually exclusive? I had thought that if I had a weather window in January that allowed me to do a 50km ride, then I'd enter the Half-Metric Century A Month challenge, and that any 70+km rides I do thereafter will also count towards that Challenge as well as the Lunacy one.

I have a supplementary question regarding thread access. Perhaps better addressed to a mod - @Pat "5mph" ? I have already pointed friends and family towards this thread as a way of notifying them of my cycling intentions in 2019 - only to be told that the Chatzone thread is not accessible by non-members of the forum. Does (or will) the same limitation apply to the Challenge thread itself? It would be disappointing if that was the case.

Thanks in advance for a response

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I assume that they're not mutually exclusive? I had thought that if I had a weather window in January that allowed me to do a 50km ride, then I'd enter the Half-Metric Century A Month challenge, and that any 70+km rides I do thereafter will also count towards that Challenge as well as the Lunacy one.
Some of us are going to try to keep them separate. but it is up to the individual.

I am aiming to do 161 km (nearest metric equivalent of 100 miles) and will do as many of those as possible on top of my monthly metric centuries but I suspect that I will have to count at least a few of them in both challenges.

I have a supplementary question regarding thread access. Perhaps better addressed to a mod - @Pat "5mph" ? I have already pointed friends and family towards this thread as a way of notifying them of my cycling intentions in 2019 - only to be told that the Chatzone thread is not accessible by non-members of the forum. Does (or will) the same limitation apply to the Challenge thread itself? It would be disappointing if that was the case.
(I'm not a mod.) That seems a bit odd. It might be because @Shaun has given members indefinite rights to edit posts in this forum, unlike in others where there is a time limit?

bluenotebob

Veteran
Some of us are going to try to keep them separate. but it is up to the individual.

Thanks for replying @ColinJ . Yes, you're quite right - I hadn't thought it through properly. You've set yourself a far sterner task than I have, and I guess it'll be weather and time constraints that dictate whether you occasionally have to double them up. I should be able to keep them separate and distinct.

(I'm not a mod.) That seems a bit odd. It might be because @Shaun has given members indefinite rights to edit posts in this forum

No, I know you're not a mod, which is why I tagged Pat. I don't see any connection between giving members indefinite editing rights and granting non-members 'read only' access - but perhaps I'm overlooking something obvious. I was just surprised that access to this thread is restricted - and hoped that the same didn't apply to the other one. I will wait for a mod response.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I logged out: there was no problem in reading the Monthly and the Lunacy challenges, the chat zones too.

Thank you @Pat "5mph" . Is simply logging out, then clicking on a link to the forum, an accurate way of replicating a non-member attempting to read a post on this forum?

I gave a specific link to the post I created above (#145 in this thread) to a friend - and access was denied. The link you provided above is only to the part of the forum that contains the challenges... it's unlikely that friends or family are going to be able to navigate their way from there to my specific posts.

I'll do more work on this and try and get a non-member to see if they can access more specific posts within threads. Providing a link to a post has never been a problem on "the other forum" - I was curious why it didn't work here.

If it appears that I'm ungrateful for your help, please forgive me - I'm not at all, it's just that I would like to find a simple way of pointing friends and family to my posts within the challenges. If links at the level of posts don't work, then either I give up and go back to sending out regular emails, or someone somewhere could perhaps amend the access rules.

I'll revisit this in January. Thanks again

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
@bluenotebob yes, it is possible to give a post link to non members.
The one to your post 145 is:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/t...winter-challenge-chatzone.241349/post-5480481
Click on your post number after you have posted, click on the permalink, immediately below the window that opens.
Click select all, then copy.
You can then paste this into any message you like, non members can see it, I have just tried by logging out.

bluenotebob

Veteran
yes, it is possible to give a post link to non members.
The one to your post 145 is:
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/t...hallenge-chatzone.241349/page-10#post-5480481
Click on your post number after you have posted, click on the permalink, immediately below the window that opens.
Click select all, then copy.
You can then paste this into any message you like, non members can see it, I have just tried by logging out.

Thanks @Pat "5mph" … the link you provide above is almost exactly the same as the one that didn't work, which was...

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/t...challenge-chatzone.241349/reply?quote=5480481

the only difference being the a few characters towards the end. I usually click on 'Quote' and then 'copy shortcut', and this has always worked before, both here and on CB. However - your suggested method is different, and I'll give that a go.

I don't understand why my link didn't work,

It didn't work since it is a link which opens a page to compose a reply to a post, including a quotation of the entire post. That is a function only members of the forum can access. You can see that as the link contains '..reply?quote...' rather than '...post...' immediately preceding the 5480481, which is the post number. You should see that if you click on your original 'reply/quote' link you are taken to a panel with the original post shown and a panel to compose a reply to that post, not merely one to look at it.

aferris2

Guru
Been thinking about this challenge for a while. I'm already doing the 50 challenge. Completing the 100km as well is probably (definitely) going too far, so I'm going to settle on a target of 100km by stealing rides from the 50.
Did the first qualifying ride today so I'm going to kick off the challenge thread.

Top Bottom