The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Fingers crossed I might get my first ride on the board this weekend.
I'm not cycling this weekend, so the weather will be gorgeous!! Go for it :sun::bicycle::wahhey:

I'm still sticking with Colin's original concept of the timing, that being April - October I believe. Much more restful and still no guilt or embarrassment required .... Or at least it's restful until thirteen challenging rides are required in eight months, at which point it becomes somewhat challenging I suspect.

bluenotebob

Veteran
I've opted for a lowly 70km as a target distance (that's longer than my 13th longest ride in 2018). I simply have no idea how this year will pan out on the bike, and if I do lots of rides longer than that, then I shall be very happy.

For 2019, I'm including rides of over 70km in both this challenge and the Half Metric Century A Month challenge. I haven't worked out how to separate them in 'my system' whilst still being able to reconcile my points total, and number of qualifying rides.

I got in an 82.41km ride today so I'm up and running in this challenge.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm still sticking with Colin's original concept of the timing, that being April - October I believe. Much more restful and still no guilt or embarrassment required .... Or at least it's restful until thirteen challenging rides are required in eight months, at which point it becomes somewhat challenging I suspect.
Any vague idea I had of trying to do a flattish qualifying ride this month has now gone since I am barely touching the bike until I get over a bad cold. I'm planning to organise the annual Conder Green imperial century forum ride for March 30th, which would give me 7 months to do 12 more. Yes - that does sound challenging, but it wouldn't be a challenge otherwise, would it! :okay:

Fiona R

As i did that DIY 2 weeks ago to make sure of Rrty and Imperial of course I somehow managed the planned one on Saturday. Perfect weather :sun:This one has been used as my metric century this month so spamming the write up from 100km chat, hope that's ok. :rolleyes:

February metric 100km officially done. so all three challenges have at least one separate ride still. Plus lunacy.

What a glorious weekend, crackers/perfect weather. My 200km this month was the new Gospel Pass/Efenegyl 200 Audax on Saturday from Filton/Bristol (as opposed to the 150km version from Chepstow next weekend that I have done twice before) I had made myself do a DIY 200 two weeks ago so my imperial did have a ride already, so this one is my 100 metric as if the weather had been at all risky, or I had not made it, I would have been down and out of imperial.

The route looped south after the bridge to Caerleon/Usk/Hay on Wye but after having to cross bridge on southbound side due to north side being shut) I managed to get wrong exit at roundabout as pack just about disappeared, thinking Garmin was lagging on it's "off course" statement. Got mostly down the hill to Chepstow/Budgens and realised the trace was the return route. Some other idiot working from paper route followed me. Added 5km/15minutes and 150m extra climbing. Duh!! Basically on my own all day, seeing the same groups at the controls but on my own on the road. Control;s were quite hard to find but the fast lot generally cleared so by riding solo cut faff time, ate enough and was fine up Gospel from Hay and the descent was a dream.

So much better on my new bike, that I have been accused of wearing out too quickly. Chunky 32 touring tyres and disc brakes. However, I also went out for a stretch on Sunday to Bath (just flat 60km) and pumped the tyres up, they were on 40. I think Gospel would have been a tad easier at 80, I had deliberately left them soft but I think a tad too soft, the ascent seemed harder even though ideal conditions but at least I made it in one go!

So everything marvellous and 75% done by Abergavenny left control 16.45 knowing light would run out totally by 6. Raglan then the drag back to Chepstow but a nightmare route hanger left off the main road that was pitch black, vertical, grass/gravel track and no way could I ride it so I hiked the lot. I was fairly sure I could have stayed on the main road long drag hill as per the 150 but not totally sure the route was exactly the same after. so I followed official route, lost a good half hour plus. Heard owls. Absolutely no way could I get this far and give in now.

Eventually back to the Budgens I should not have visited this morning back up t'hill and over bridge, another audax rider caught me and he very kindly stayed with me to the end, I wasn't sure about getting the diversion right and not ending up on the motorway in the dark. Once past the big roundabouts I guided him back to The Swan (8pm/10 hours riding time for me) as his Garmin had failed earlier in the day and he was doing it via paper. I missed a turn and after interminable hills suddenly we were opposite the pub. What a relief. This 200 lark is not getting any easier! I don't get faster hopefully eventually I'll have fewer stupid mistakes!

it was Feb last year I broke my 25 month 100km streak (the bloodied smashed face pics came up on Amazon :wacko:), so back to 12 in a row now.:boxing:

Back to lunacy chat.

I think I am mad. Send help :hugs:

Last edited:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
2nd one done today, though it will be asterisked as it will also be the qualifying ride for the imperial century a month

Fiona R

2nd one done today, though it will be asterisked as it will also be the qualifying ride for the imperial century a month
I thought this was the one we could double count with our highest challenge, as it's a back up to the regular challenge. I am making sure I do separate rides for 100km and 100 miles but counting all 200km for lunacy even if used elsewhere. I'm not that much of a lunatic really :wacko:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I thought this was the one we could double count with our highest challenge, as it's a back up to the regular challenge. I am making sure I do separate rides for 100km and 100 miles but counting all 200km for lunacy even if used elsewhere. I'm not that much of a lunatic really :wacko:
I have a fantasy of keeping my 'metric imperial century' (161 km) lunatic challenge rides separate from my metric century challenge rides, but I suspect that I will very rapidly have to give up on that idea! :laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I favour the approach of not considering that fantasy in the first place - much less stressful that way :-) I am categorically gong to count all Lunacy rides in the Metric Century too.
As the other famous CJ*** would have said: "I didn't get where I am today by not stressing about impossible fantasies..."! :laugh:

*** Reggie Perrin's boss

Splendid stuff. And Rossiter was pretty good in 2001 too, though less funny obviously.

Correction on 'the other famous CJ', however: it should be 'one of the other ...' since there's also CJ in The West Wing, and perhaps others. I note that all three so far identified are pretty tall.

Top Bottom