The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
7. The following year, everyone who met their stated target can display the crescent moon 'Lunacy Challenge' icon in their signature.
Also.....
How about this new one - a crescent over a mountain...

Lunatic climb.png
?

I was wondering about having a condition that all qualifying rides should be outdoor rides.
Blimey, did we never specify that all rides should be outdoors? I certainly think that they should be!

Blimey, did we never specify that all rides should be outdoors? I certainly think that they should be!
No, but nor did we specify 'on a bike'. I'm pretty sure the rules do add up to 'outdoors only' (for the Lunacy Climbing Challenge anyway).

There are smart turbos that will give a climbing figure but
There are but in the Lunacy Climbing Challenge rules we said:
A qualifying loop is any ride on public roads which accumulates 1,000+ metres of ascent.
Which pretty much covers the 'outdoor' thing methinks :-)

But, [my] pedantry aside, yes, we should certainly exclude rides on indoor trainers, irrespective of how realistic they may be in effort terms, since I don't think these things should just be a 'do a finite amount of exercise' challenge.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There are smart turbos that will give a climbing figure but I don't think a number on a turbo display quite matches grinding to a halt and falling off on Fleet Moss! :laugh:

(Not that you have to suffer such indignities, of course! :okay:)

Believe me, "climbing" 1000m on a turbo matches climbing 1000m on the road as far as the legs are concerned afterwards. But you need quite a fancy turbo to replicate really steep gradients. Not that I'm advocating inclusion of them, just saying.

Also, there's the question of ebikes that was raised recently.

The general consensus of the great and the good on the challenge threads seems to be turbos bad, ebikes good but it'd be up to you.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Believe me, "climbing" 1000m on a turbo matches climbing 1000m on the road as far as the legs are concerned afterwards. But you need quite a fancy turbo to replicate really steep gradients. Not that I'm advocating inclusion of them, just saying.

Also, there's the question of ebikes that was raised recently.

The general consensus of the great and the good on the challenge threads seems to be turbos bad, ebikes good but it'd be up to you.

Defo keep the ebikes, not only to match other challenges, but it also allows people who would not be able to manage on a treader to participate. Anyway given most ebikes are about 15kg heavier than a non e, then there is still a fair bit of exertion required and it's not a speed challenge.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

Indeed. I have a 'dumb' turbo but if I crank the resistance up it is hard work. I don't think it can get to the equivalent of 20+% slopes but it can definitely equate to half that gradient.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
For what it's worth (which isn't much) my view is that people fret too much qualifying conditions for these challenges. If someone wants to their rides on a turbo or on a closed track or if they want to call in at home for a sandwich half way through an imperial century ride or whatever then let them. It's a personal challenge, not a competition, they're not affecting anyone else.

And I would give maximum respect to someone doing the climbing challenge in a velodrome.

I know that's a bit too wishy washy and permissive for prevailing consensus but hey, I'm a wishy washy kind of guy.

Indeed. I have a 'dumb' turbo but if I crank the resistance up it is hard work. I don't think it can get to the equivalent of 20+% slopes but it can definitely equate to half that gradient.
This challenge isn't really about steep gradients. Unlike the last year's climbing challenge, which was all about cramming the maximum climb into the minimum distance (and necessarily going for the steepest climbs possible) this one is more about accumulation of ascent over any distance so gradients don't necessarily figure.

I concur with @Dogtrousers that any challenge is really up to the individual; that people should use them as motivation to help them do 'cycling things they'd otherwise not do'.

That said, I've contributed to defining rules in the past since, like many people, I do find it motivating when other people are attempting to do something which is essentially very similar. The 2021 Lunacy Climbing challenge was quite tightly defined, mainly by rate of ascent and being a loop. What @Dogtrousers and I did in completing that was really very similar in many aspects. This version, however, won't be, which is fine and does mean that the 'rules' can be far more relaxed.

In particular, this version lends itself to simply going further and gaining more ascent. That's a very different prospect where I am in the Dales / Pennines / Lakes / Bowland than it would be in Lincolnshire ! The point is that the challenge may vary enormously from person to person and may therefore lack the 'shared experience' element.

Just musing really, but I do think the 'shared experience' aspect is probably important for making these challenges successful so I suspect this one could be problematic in that respect.

Alex321

Veteran
Finally back with a qualifying ride!

9 weeks off the bike due to the broken wrist, three weeks of getting back into it, then got COVID!.

Still actually testing positive today (after 12 days!), but I don't think a solo cycle ride breaches self-isolation, and guidance says you can leave after 10 days even without a negative test.

With a strong wind, and still probably really not fully fit, not entirely sure that was wise, and towards the end was definitely in "shut up legs" territory.

First part was slow, as I set off into the wind, middle part, with a tail wind was very fast, with several PBs. Last part was slow again because I just ran out of energy. I didn't take any food, should have stopped to buy some belvita or similar in Llantwit Major.

But at 35.95 miles, the 2nd longest of the year, probably my 3rd longest overall, so quite happy with that.

Alex321

Veteran
Back with another today.

Windy, wasn't at all sure how big a ride I wanted to do when I set out. Started off into the wind, thinking I'd probably just head for Colwinston after Langan, make it a 15-17 mile ride. Reached the top of Crack Hill Lane, feeling better than expected, so decided to head for Ewenny, and when I got there, decided to go for a full 30mile+ ride.

Somehow still had a headwind heading from St Brides Major to Monknash and Marcross, but legs were feeling good. Finally got a bit of tailwind after the left turn by Atlantic College.

Reached Llancadle, and thought If I just headed the most direct route home, it would only be about 30 miles, and by then I wanted the 50K, so dropped down into Llancarfan (which I'd ridden through in the opposite direction the night before), and then just to be sure, didn't turn for Welsh St Donats until after Warren Mill Farm.

Really enjoyed that ride, in spite of the wind. It seems my legs are finally getting back to somewhere decent, first week over 100 miles since I've been back on the bike.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
OMG what have I missed. apologies for being absent. Falling off on Fleet Moss only nearly, days of over 1000m :wacko: Being pedantic. Simplifying everything twice?

Anyhow. I've only done 2 more since May. Mainly through lack of attention I was just short of 200km on 3 days of an All Points North attempt back in early June but was measuring control to control and not days. One of them easily counted as my imperial though. Was a great experience, I got round 75% from Sheffield to East coast to North York Moors (walked some of Fleet Moss rather than falling off) Dales, Northumbrland Scottish Borders and came to a halt just west of Penrith. was self supported and camping. Somehow came 11th of 30 Rookies eventhough I didn't make Ulpha, Forest of Bowland and back to Sheffield. I'm not designed for ultra racing. the day across the Scottish Borders from Bamburgh Castle to Newcastleton then Carlisle was incredible. Still haven't written it up for my dottage.

Had a week then off to France on holiday pootling in our van with bikes. we've not been to France for 5 years so was great, first time with the new van (we converted it so not new new just new to us) We started in the Loire Valley, loop to Saumur and on to Noirmoutier off Vendée coat. some lovely loops. Then Marais Poitevin (more flat cycling, OH got to choose where we went) and up to normandy/Domfront for last few days) I hadn't got a June 200km for my RRtY but wasn't well the first week so we took it easy. Then couldn't get a route submitted to ride to Tours whilst he drove the van up there as no wi fi and ended up managing to squeeze in a flat Velo Verte from Domfront to Mont St Michel and back on 30th June once up in Normandy. Had lunch at the van after a 100 mile cinder time trial then OH came out with me for a hilly loop from Domfront to Flers to scrape over 200km. Over half off road.

Then on Saturday back to audax with a very hilly 100 miles Canal Boats and Mountain Roads from Chepstow inc Big pit path back way up the Tumble and all the hills round Tintern. Very complicated route with many free controls where I had to get receipts and then a fair few info controls too. With 3000m climbing and a 17km section of canal from Abergavenny to Pontypool with 45 bridges to duck under (but didn't go swimming!) I did manage the route but was out of audax time. I had ridden 40km from home to Chepstow and was intending riding home too but was too discombobulated with the fact I knew all day I was behind time. I get lost easily even with a garmin and all the overlapping routes had me going round in circles in towns. Really shocked I couldn't scrape in in time. Made the call of shame and got picked up from the scummy Severn Bridge Services at 10pm. 215km counts for lunacy!

Now I haven't done a validated 200 in July for RRtY again

Last edited:
Top Bottom