The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

FrothNinja

Veteran
Once one has hit the 13th ride, is there any point in recording anything under the distance of the 13th longest ride?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
You could possibly argue that the more qualifying rides you do, the more that suggests a rise in target next year. i.e. one over might indicate a reasonably challenging initial target whereas thirteen over might suggest distinctly too easy ! So recording them *is* worthwhile.

That makes sense.

The reverse is probably true, so next year my target might be more like 25 km! :laugh:

There's a corollary to that which is that I've set my target to a distance which I really can't do in the winter months, since that was the original intent of the challenge. So, even if I could do lots more then thirteen in the roughly six months available, I'd still be unable to do any in winter. I'd only increase my target if I found that I /could/ do them in winter.

Last edited:

bluenotebob

Veteran
Today is yet another day when I can’t cycle between 11am and 7pm because of the damn heat. It looks like 30C is becoming a new ‘normal’ temperature here for days in July and August – and I really suffer outside when it gets over 26C. I struggle to breathe when I’m cycling, it feels like I’m riding through soup and all the energy in my legs drains away.

But … while the washing machine is making itself dizzy, I do have time to post some vaguely Loony stuff…

Sundry personal challenge #1

A bit like SoV’s 30 day/rolling 1000km project of 2019, I’ve set myself a target of cycling in excess of 1100km per month for 7 consecutive months this year – March through to September. I’m on track with March through July completed – so 5 months done – and despite the heat, I hope to get August done, and September should be easy .. unless we get lots of rain (we haven’t had ‘lots of rain’ since October 2021 and it’s unbelievably dry here).

Sundry personal challenge #2

Having waited 18 months for delivery of a new mountain bike, it finally arrived in April this year. For reasons that still aren’t 100% clear, the new bike has transformed the type of daily riding that I do. Days now often start with no pre-conceived plan .. just go out on one of my mountain bikes or on one of the hybrids – sniff the air, persuade the knees to turn over, get the leg muscles warmed up and gradually a plan for the day appears. I often find that I’ve cycled 10/15km of local lanes and/or offroad tracks before I’ve realised it. Then it’s usually a case of “which bike next? and where?” … Most days are a two- or three-bike day and once or twice, all 5 have been out for a ride the same day.

I’m not aware of anyone else in the CC arena who is doing this on a regular basis – and I hesitate to ask in the ‘General Cycling Discussions’ forum as my previous experiences of sharing personal biking foibles is one of being mocked (I don’t care – but I do question why I bothered raising the subject in the first place).

So, in July, I set myself a target of a minimum of 100km per bike in the month – I sailed past that in the middle of July and that got me thinking.. an expanded case of the “Have Stats – Have Time – Will Play” syndrome – more like “Have Bikes and lots of Stats – Have Time – Definitely Playing”. All five bikes now have minimum monthly and annual targets. An interesting exercise – but no more than that. But all five of my bikes now get rides every week – and what’s the point in having them if you don’t ride them regularly? (assuming that they’re all road-worthy).

Which is all a very long-winded way of saying that, as lots of my multi-bike days have been over 60km and (so far) nine of them are over 70km, I will enter the 2022 Lunacy Challenge with a target of 70km – and a ‘stretch target’ of 75km.

I had a bit of a rant on here before Xmas last year about people ‘double-booking’ rides, ie posting one ride in two challenges. I promise not to care about what anyone else is doing now – other than to say that one person has ‘quadruple-booked’ some rides (that made me laugh). One ride posted in four separate challenges has to be some sort of record in the CC forum. Can that be beaten? Well, I’m sure it could with a bit of ingenuity. Anyway, that’s a challenge for someone else.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Today is yet another day when I can’t cycle between 11am and 7pm because of the damn heat. It looks like 30C is becoming a new ‘normal’ temperature here for days in July and August – and I really suffer outside when it gets over 26C. I struggle to breathe when I’m cycling, it feels like I’m riding through soup and all the energy in my legs drains away.

But … while the washing machine is making itself dizzy, I do have time to post some vaguely Loony stuff…

Sundry personal challenge #1

A bit like SoV’s 30 day/rolling 1000km project of 2019, I’ve set myself a target of cycling in excess of 1100km per month for 7 consecutive months this year – March through to September. I’m on track with March through July completed – so 5 months done – and despite the heat, I hope to get August done, and September should be easy .. unless we get lots of rain (we haven’t had ‘lots of rain’ since October 2021 and it’s unbelievably dry here).

Sundry personal challenge #2

Having waited 18 months for delivery of a new mountain bike, it finally arrived in April this year. For reasons that still aren’t 100% clear, the new bike has transformed the type of daily riding that I do. Days now often start with no pre-conceived plan .. just go out on one of my mountain bikes or on one of the hybrids – sniff the air, persuade the knees to turn over, get the leg muscles warmed up and gradually a plan for the day appears. I often find that I’ve cycled 10/15km of local lanes and/or offroad tracks before I’ve realised it. Then it’s usually a case of “which bike next? and where?” … Most days are a two- or three-bike day and once or twice, all 5 have been out for a ride the same day.

I’m not aware of anyone else in the CC arena who is doing this on a regular basis – and I hesitate to ask in the ‘General Cycling Discussions’ forum as my previous experiences of sharing personal biking foibles is one of being mocked (I don’t care – but I do question why I bothered raising the subject in the first place).

So, in July, I set myself a target of a minimum of 100km per bike in the month – I sailed past that in the middle of July and that got me thinking.. an expanded case of the “Have Stats – Have Time – Will Play” syndrome – more like “Have Bikes and lots of Stats – Have Time – Definitely Playing”. All five bikes now have minimum monthly and annual targets. An interesting exercise – but no more than that. But all five of my bikes now get rides every week – and what’s the point in having them if you don’t ride them regularly? (assuming that they’re all road-worthy).

Which is all a very long-winded way of saying that, as lots of my multi-bike days have been over 60km and (so far) nine of them are over 70km, I will enter the 2022 Lunacy Challenge with a target of 70km – and a ‘stretch target’ of 75km.

I had a bit of a rant on here before Xmas last year about people ‘double-booking’ rides, ie posting one ride in two challenges. I promise not to care about what anyone else is doing now – other than to say that one person has ‘quadruple-booked’ some rides (that made me laugh). One ride posted in four separate challenges has to be some sort of record in the CC forum. Can that be beaten? Well, I’m sure it could with a bit of ingenuity. Anyway, that’s a challenge for someone else.

i think using all your bikes is very admirable. Some people just love the thrill of a new bike and seem to have a dozen. I'm not sure why. certainly having a couple of bikes is a necessity as stuff happens and I need a spare given it's my transport. I am guilty iof not using one of my bikes (folding Dahon, more a case of having in case I have to go somewhere by bus with a bike in tow) and another gets little use (my mtb) but it has had use over the years and every now and then we do an off road day or tour. I don't tend to go out on mtb solo. My spare road bike needs a good overhaul but my main road/gravel/audax/touring bike is mufti purpose and the hybrid "pub bike" is the one used for all utility riding, grocery shopping, gym etc and owes me nothing if it gets stolen locked up in Bristol or anywhere else.

The people who had a pop at you are the sad ones. I think a personal endeavour is a great motivator and I hope it continues to give you a challenge, pleasure and equal wear on your bikes!

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I'm guilty of counting rides for double challenges. My 100 miles and lunacy are usually the same ride. 50km are separate but I was out of 100km early on as that is always a separate ride too. I'm double counting Lunacy with RRtY too.

Which means that given my big hilly ride in Wales was out of time 10 days ago for July RRtY I had to do another 200km DIY this week before the family descended from far and wide for family celebrations/family time given we all live far and wide.

I was conscious of giving myself a bit more than "bare minimum" so adapted a figure of 8 I have done before which crosses over on top of Mendip, but reversed it. so this time I went through Bristol and out to Keynsham on the Bristol 2 Bath Railway (the closures are so annoying but are for improvements) Through Chew Valley and up and over the steep pull of West Harptree and down Cheddar Gorge. relieved it was a cool day, I hadn't ridden the first half of the month after returning from holiday as it was too hot) . didn't feel like a PR down but it was, I'm not a confident descender. 72km for the Old Spot Bakery at Mark that comes highly recommended but I'd never made during opening hours. superb artisan sausage roll and almond croissant with my latte for 2nd breakfast and morning coffee as my only proper stop. A nice change to head east in the Shapwick direction skirting Glasto and through Wells then straight up Old Bristol Road. Plodded up quite happily and a whizz down Burrington Coombe. i headed towards Weston-S-M as I had adapted the previous night, I thought I'd found myself an alternative to the main route that didn't involve a big loop, but it turned out to be a gravel track with big lorries, but no "no entry" RWGPS showed plenty of cyclists' had been that way and marked as a bridleway. a big burly Balbour Beatty guy very cordially said I needed to get off the route as the lorries were belting up and down for Hinkley Point infrastructure/wiring and he was worried about my safety. Retraced and braved the nasty A368 until after the M5 and spent the rest of the ride worried my deviation may make my RRtY invalid again. Slogged through Weston and then much nicer out on the lanes before the section of unavoidable A370 before beating a retreat to the Strawberry Line. a race round Kingston Seymour and was only on 197km as I got home so I went up and down a local hill to make sure I was over the 202km of my submitted route without repeating anything. fortunately my explanation was accepted and I was validated. I also was only 15 mins later than my "pre planned" time which I am notoriously bad at estimating. quick shower and out with OH to do the shopping for big family celebrations. It was beyond 2 panniers worth normally done by bike.

I so nearly let the RRtY go, have had some personal challenges this month so relieved I was selfish and made the time that I didn't really have.

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
Nice ride today, my 2nd longest of the year (or ever, in fact) at 37 miles. Sunshine and very little wind for the whole ride, but not too hot, at an average of 24C.

Did the coastal loop I enjoy, in a clockwise direction. A little detour past Ogmore Castle, and then carrying the bike over stepping stones crossing the river Ewenny, That was tricky in cleats, the stones were smooth, and some were sloping. But it was a pleasant little diversion, and a thoroughly enjoyable ride.

Completed for 2022.

At least, the two rides I've just posted in the ride thread makes 13 x 150km, and 150km is my target. It only makes 12 x 161km (aka imperial century), however, which is my 'stretch' target, so I fully intend to do one more, or perhaps more than one more, what with it only being mid-August. That makes four years of Lunacy Challenge. I'd better update the number in my signature.

Today's imperial century was an excellent route, taking in four lovely, Pennine pass roads and then down through the Dales, but my liquid requirements in 30C and above, which it was all day until about 1900, were a bit excessive. Normally, that sort of ride would be 1.5l. Today was 5.5l ! Not that I'm complaining, it's great to have warm and sunny weather here in the north after a thoroughly mediocre summer so far (yes, I know it's been unduly warm further south).

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well done!

Pennine pass roads and then down through the Dales, but my liquid requirements in 30C and above, which it was all day until about 1900, were a bit excessive. Normally, that sort of ride would be 1.5l. Today was 5.5l !

So for me it would have been 8+ litres... :whistle:

I made do with my lumpy singlespeed 7 km Tour de Todmorden shopping loop and then fled indoors to cool down! :laugh:

Alex321

Veteran
Biggest ride I've ever done today - in 30+ temperatures! And yes, I took 2 water bottles, then bought 6 refills worth while I was out.

50 miles total (my first ever imperial half century), and also 1145m climbing - my first ever over 1000m. And my first "classic" climb - The Bwlch.

A good day out ^_^

Clock twoer at the foot of the Bwlch.
20220814_145638.jpg

View down to Treorchy from the top.
20220814_153330.jpg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well, I finally got another qualifier in...

I didn't mention in that post that my bike was doing my head in throughout the ride! My left shoe had been squeaking on the pedal on a couple of shorter rides earlier in the week so before I set off I sprayed both pedals and the soles of my shoes with GT85. Problem solved! At least, it was for 50 kms... And then it wasn't! Squeaky, squawky, squeaky, squawky, squeaky, squawky, squeaky...:cursing:

More worryingly, a disturbing mechanical noise started up just a few kms into the ride***. I am fairly sure that it is from the bottom bracket. I don't have many tools or spares here so I went on Amazon this morning and ordered a new bottom bracket, a Hollowtech II BB tool, and a tube of grease. I have already had a few rapid deliveries down here this week, courtesy of the impressive Prime service, and I am hoping that they will achieve tomorrow's promised delivery, and preferably by lunchtime so I can replace the BB and get a test ride in. I would like to do another metric century on Sunday if the bike is behaving itself (and I can shut my damn shoes/pedals up!! :laugh:)

*** I'll get in now, before @Sea of vapours suggests that several of my bikes seem to be suffering from lack of maintenance...! :okay:

I bought this bike second-hand last year so I am not aware how long individual parts have been used for.

I didn't like the original wheels and tyres so I replaced them immediately (and have now upgraded the tyres again).

I have checked the brake pads twice - there is still life in them, and I have 2 full sets of replacement pads stored here for future replacement.

What can you do about bottom brackets though? I am not going to replace a BB until I notice a problem with it. There was no play in this one, and no undesirable noises until yesterday. It just sounded to me like one of the ball bearings cracked or chipped early in the ride. Hopefully, the problem will go away when I fit the new BB!

I have spare 11-speed quick links here, and a stash of tubes. I should buy a spare 11-speed chain before my next visit.

Q: Will the 8/9/10 speed chain splitter on my multitool also work on an 11-speed chain? I could obviously test it on the last link in the new chain, but I would rather know in advance.

Top Bottom