The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I have vague memories of doing some checks to see if my chain tool was still ok when I replaced my knackered SRAM 10s with Shimano 11s

IIRC a tool that says it's fine for 10S is ok for 11S. But I'd advise you to confirm that and not trust my memory.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I had hoped to get another metric century in while I am down in Devon but I have had problems with my bad leg so I played safe on Sunday and Monday and made do with a short ride and some dog walking.

For obvious reasons I get very nervous about any sign of trouble with the leg that indirectly nearly killed me twice! The swelling and pain has subsided now so hopefully it wasn't anything serious.

I have the 100 mile Humber Bridge ride booked for Saturday and I'd like the leg to be in full working order by then...

Back Oop North Tuesday, but I will be back down in Devon in a month's time, probably for the last time in 2022, unless we have a very mild November and I fancy another trip down here then.

I still have 7 metric centuries to do for this challenge. 2 of those should be the Humber Bridge and Cheshire forum rides, so that would leave 5 more to do.

I have been slacking again this year! Something seems to have changed in my head since the pandemic started and I haven't figured out how to get back to a normal routine. :wacko:

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
I had hoped to get another metric century in while I am down in Devon but I have had problems with my bad leg so I played safe on Sunday and Monday and made do with a short ride and some dog walking.

For obvious reasons I get very nervous about any sign of trouble with the leg that indirectly nearly killed me twice! The swelling and pain has subsided now so hopefully it wasn't anything serious.

I have the 100 mile Humber Bridge ride booked for Saturday and I'd like the leg to be in full working order by then...

Back Oop North Tuesday, but I will be back down in Devon in a month's time, probably for the last time in 2022, unless we have a very mild November and I fancy another trip down here then.

I still have 7 metric centuries to do for this challenge. 2 of those should be the Humber Bridge and Cheshire forum rides, so that would leave 5 more to do.

I have been slacking again this year! Something seems to have changed in my head since the pandemic started and I haven't figured out how to get back to a normal routine. :wacko:

Think of the whole population, you're not slacking. The psychological impact of your leg is as big as the physical constraints. Give yourself some slack, it's healthier to be happy and not always pushing yourself.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Think of the whole population, you're mot slacking. The psychological impact of your leg is as big as the physical constraints.
Both are true. I met an old man who I thought was the husband of a sprightly woman in her 80s. It turned out to be her son and he was younger than me! :eek:

I know a few people in their 50s who look nearer 70.

I once upset a new colleague when talking about punk bands. I couldn't understand why he had never heard of them. It turned out that he was about 15 years younger than he looked!

It took me a lonnnnnnnnnnng time to stop obsessing about my breathing and discomfort/arrhythmia in my heart. Those worries came back after my leg went funny on me at the weekend.

I am back in Todmorden now and need to buy some shopping. I'll go on my singlespeed bike and see if I have any problems with that. I will avoid the toughest hill this time though!

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Both are true. I met an old man who I thought was the husband of a sprightly woman in her 80s. It turned out to be her son and he was younger than me! :eek:

I once upset a new colleague when talking about punk bands. I couldn't understand why he had never heard of them. It turned out that he was about 15 years younger than he looked!

It took me a lonnnnnnnnnnng time to stop obsessing about my breathing and discomfort/arrhythmia in my heart. Those worries came back after my leg went funny on me at the weekend.

I am back in Todmorden now and need to buy some shopping. I'll go on my singlespeed bike and see if I have any problems with that. I will avoid the toughest hill this time though!

I beat myself up as I look like a couch potato but am fitter/lift heavier weights, do more exercise than the vast majority. Just wish I could get down to 25bmi. However when I exercise everything hurts less, arthritis has been with me for a long time. I feel better and the endorphins keep me happier. The last couple of years my perceived age on bodytrax has gone from 39 to 42 which I think is bad, I've gone from 55 to 57. So my body age is still quite a lot younger than me, but I stagger out of bed and downstairs to make the tea every morning!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I beat myself up as I look like a couch potato but am fitter/lift heavier weights, do more exercise than the vast majority. Just wish I could get down to 25bmi. However when I exercise everything hurts less, arthritis has been with me for a long time. I feel better and the endorphins keep me happier. The last couple of years my perceived age on bodytrax has gone from 39 to 42 which I think is bad, I've gone from 55 to 57. So my body age is still quite a lot younger than me, but I stagger out of bed and downstairs to make the tea every morning!

Oh, given what you do on the bike you are making me feel like a REAL slacker again! :laugh:

As for looking after myself... I'm afraid that even just my 5 km shopping loop today made my sore throat flare up again. The checkout person at Lidl asked "Card or cash?" but couldn't make out my croaked reply. A friend has come round and her first words were "Are you okay? You look quite pale!" I think that I had better play safe and go to the Humber Bridge ride thread and tell them the bad news... :sad:

FrothNinja

Veteran

I'd be knackered if I cycled to Tod to do my shopping - the return climb through Shore is a killer.
Joking aside, I did a big for me ride on Monday and I've stuck to 6 milers since in order to let my knees recover - no point causing permanent damage to prove a point to one's self. The thing that bugs me is that I missed out on my (self Set) monthly miles challenge by 22.96 miles.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'd be knackered if I cycled to Tod to do my shopping - the return climb through Shore is a killer.
That little thing...

Shore Rd climb.jpg

Shore Road profile.gif

Yes, it is 'a bit of a drag' up there, isn't it! :laugh:

I wouldn't even get up the bottom 1% of that climb on my singlespeed bike.

Jameshow

Veteran

Perhaps have a meet up later in the year. November our lodge isn't being commercially let so I may go down then..

Alex321

Veteran
Did exactly the same route today as I did on June 26th, but Strava says it was 0.2 miles less, and 69ft less elevation (2001 against 2070 last time).

I can understand a bit of difference in distance, just from a difference in which part of the road I may have ridden on. But 60ft is quite significant difference in climbing. Not sure the roads will have worn down that much in a couple of months :smile:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Did exactly the same route today as I did on June 26th, but Strava says it was 0.2 miles less, and 69ft less elevation (2001 against 2070 last time).

I can understand a bit of difference in distance, just from a difference in which part of the road I may have ridden on. But 60ft is quite significant difference in climbing. Not sure the roads will have worn down that much in a couple of months :smile:
I have had my house apparently rise or fall by 20+ metres during one 20 km ride, according to my old Garmin!

Most GPS devices are not particularly accurate or consistent when measuring elevation.

Alex321

Veteran
I have had my house apparently rise or fall by 20+ metres during one 20 km ride, according to my old Garmin!

Most GPS devices are not particularly accurate or consistent when measuring elevation.

Yes, that's true. I don't think I've had quite that big a difference, but I have usually had the metres gained and metres lost be different, on a loop.

Top Bottom