The Annual Lunacy (aka "I Don't Do Winter") Challenge Chatzone

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Third qualifying ride for November today, all of which met my stretch target of 35 miles. Only 2 more 35mile+ ides needed to complete that stretch target.

Today also pushed my eddington number up by 1 (only to 31) :smile:

I also finally made a stop at Café Velo in Lllantwit Major - a well known café among cyclists, but I've somehow never got round to stopping there before - as a solo cyclist I rarely boter with café stops at all TBH. Sat and had a chat with one other cyclist while drinking my coffee, with a lot more coming in while I was there.

aferris2

Guru
Just one more ride to go this year. It's getting to be a very busy time of the year so finding days that aren't too cold, windy, or wet is increasingly difficult. I should have done my rides much earlier but the mojo wasn't there.
Anyway, decided on a different route from normal and it ended up a bit longer than I was aiming for. Did think about extending up to 80km but I was knackered at the end.
Just need to find some good weather and a bit of free time in December to notch up another badge.

13 rider

Guru
Biggest ride I've ever done today - in 30+ temperatures! And yes, I took 2 water bottles, then bought 6 refills worth while I was out.

50 miles total (my first ever imperial half century), and also 1145m climbing - my first ever over 1000m. And my first "classic" climb - The Bwlch.

A good day out ^_^

Clock twoer at the foot of the Bwlch.
View attachment 657391

View down to Treorchy from the top.
View attachment 657392
Did that Climb on the Dragon ride 2019. The views are stunning . On the day all you could see all over the climb was cyclists as it was fairly near the start , quite a sight

13 rider

Guru
It will be near the end on the 2023 dragon ride, they are doing it in the other direction. I've signed up for the 2nd ballot for that, I rather fancy having a go at the 157Km version.
I did their 3 day tour ,2 days around Newport did the Tumble then the Dragon Ride on Sunday .just under the 100 miles so probaly 157km route rode round the car park to do the Ton . Superbly organised event feed stops excellent with proper food and sports stuff . Devils elbow was evil !! the timed climb, rode steady all day and loved it

bluenotebob

Veteran
I’ve never liked the “I Don’t Do Winter” sub-title to this challenge – I understand it (an alternative to the monthly challenges which allows opting-out of the winter months) but I “do winter” – even this December which has been a shocker here in Brittany. I’ve been out on my bike most days this month – and it’s been quite a solitary experience. Yesterday was the first day that I’d seen another cyclist.

The prolonged spells of heavy rain and strong winds have meant that I’ve also had lots of time to plan for 2023. All systems are in place for 1st January to allow me to start recording rides – and this year I’ve added a new feature which will allow me to monitor each bike’s monthly progress towards both an annual minimum and stretch target. Too much time on my hands? .. yes, probably.

@FrothNinja and I are on the cusp of completing this year’s ‘3x30minsxweek’ challenge and we have committed to doing it again next year. I’ve also signed up to the new ‘Consistency’ challenge (as has @Alex321 ). If you haven’t read about it then check it out – it’s an interesting halfway house between the monthly challenges and this Lunacy one.

I’m undecided as to whether to go for next year’s HMACM challenge .. even though I’ve been out almost every day, I still haven’t done a 50+km ride in December. And the stress is killing me … I’m starting to think that I might be getting too old for that challenge (I’m now 70).

I will enter the 2023 Annual Lunacy Challenge again – same distance target of 70km – and hopefully I’ll get at least one ride done in January. Could someone (@ColinJ ?) please create a new thread before the end of December?

Anyone else starting to put plans in place for next year?

Merry Christmas and Happy Cycling in 2023!

Alex321

Veteran
I’ve never liked the “I Don’t Do Winter” sub-title to this challenge – I understand it (an alternative to the monthly challenges which allows opting-out of the winter months) but I “do winter” – even this December which has been a shocker here in Brittany. I’ve been out on my bike most days this month – and it’s been quite a solitary experience.
Agreed. I initially signed up to this one when I got back on the back after 9 weeks out with a broken wrist which had stopped my half-century-a-month effort.

But I do normally keep riding through the winter, though I haven't done nearly as much as usual this month, for a variety of reasons

Anyone else starting to put plans in place for next year?

Yes, I intend doing this one again, with my regular target upped to the 35 miles that was my stretch target this year, and maybe 40 miles for a stretch target. Hopefully I'll get the last 35 mile ride I need for this year's stretch target between Christmas & New Year.

Merry Christmas and Happy Cycling in 2023!

And to you.

Fiona R

Formerly known as Cranky Knee Girl
Now I'm rather glad of the "not doing winter" bit as I have always continued in winter but weather and illness defeated me in Nov/Dec and I am extremely pleased to have managed this and the elevation lunacy before then. Somehow didn't even do a 50km in Nov so no 50km star!

Still think this is the best challenge by far!

Alex321

Veteran
Yes, I intend doing this one again, with my regular target upped to the 35 miles that was my stretch target this year, and maybe 40 miles for a stretch target. Hopefully I'll get the last 35 mile ride I need for this year's stretch target between Christmas & New Year.

That didn't happen, due to a combination of weather and a broken front shifter on the bike. But the fact I didn't quite get there shows it to be more of a challenge this year.

bluenotebob

Veteran
But the fact I didn't quite get there

Tough one .. we share the same weather (we get it first, here in Brittany) and the last week of December was hard for much cycling.

Good luck with your rides in 2023 and your new target.

@ColinJ ... second request .. please create a new Lunacy challenge ride thread for 2023. I may get a ride done on Thursday and it would be nice to know there'll be somewhere to post it.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I will enter the 2023 Annual Lunacy Challenge again – same distance target of 70km – and hopefully I’ll get at least one ride done in January. Could someone (@ColinJ ?) please create a new thread before the end of December?
@ColinJ ... second request .. please create a new Lunacy challenge ride thread for 2023. I may get a ride done on Thursday and it would be nice to know there'll be somewhere to post it.
There was nothing stopping you creating it (as @Sea of vapours did in 2022!)... :whistle:

Anyway - I have done it now! :okay:

(The reason that I didn't do it before is because I feel a fraud, having not completed any of my last few challenges, and having dropped out of even trying others...)

bluenotebob

Veteran
Anyway - I have done it now!

Thanks.

OK - if necessary, I'll create a new thread for 2024 when the time comes.

I hope you'll join us in the 3x30minsxweek challenge this year. It is eminently doable - you just need to be prepared to get a bit wet sometimes (and I have been soaked a couple of times already this week).. and it'll help to dispel some of those "fraud-like" feelings you're suffering from.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Thanks.

OK - if necessary, I'll create a new thread for 2024 when the time comes.

I hope you'll join us in the 3x30minsxweek challenge this year. It is eminently doable - you just need to be prepared to get a bit wet sometimes (and I have been soaked a couple of times already this week).. and it'll help to dispel some of those "fraud-like" feelings you're suffering from.
Other more industrious members have taken over from me elsewhere too! :okay:

Given what I posted about not completing challenges, I wasn't going to embarrass myself by announcing that I was doing that challenge until I had at least completed the first week... :laugh:

But, okay, I'll admit it - you did inspire me to get off my backside yesterday and nip out. I did a 35 minute ride up the A646 and back! That was my first ride for 31 days. I enjoyed it.

I don't think that I will manage 52 weeks**, but I'll see what I end up with by the end of the year. I'm sure that it will be a bigger number than it would have been without the challenge, and I will try to match or beat it in 2024.

** Last year would have been scuppered by Covid, a bad cold, and a suspected blood clot in my leg. I would have ended up at least 3 weeks down no matter what else I did. Putting up with poor weather is one thing, but riding in poor health is a different matter!

Top Bottom