The Arcade Fire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Bren

Kirstie said:
I'm going to get tickets to see them in Nottingham on the 31st Oct...! LOL :biggrin:

See you there!

Bren

Big Bren said:
See you there!

Bren

Wicked!!

Well, after checking everyone's suggestions out on YouTube I got....
Broken Social Scene: Broken Social Scene
Neutral Milk Hotel: In the aeroplane over the sea
Modest Mouse: Moon and Antartica
God Speed You Black Emperor: Lift your skinny fist like antennas to heaven
and
Mogwai: Mr Beast, which I've been meaning to get for a while.

And Mr Amazon knows all about me now and will be able to make me more fine recommendations in future....oh I love capitalism

I'll see what I make of Moon and Antartica first and no, didn't like Bright Eyes...or what I heard at least.
Incidentally, a really beautiful band from Finland - Husky Rescue, not the same kind of thing as the topic of this thread but really wonderful melancholic electronica that makes you think of tundra...

longers

Legendary Member
Kirstie said:
and

And Mr Amazon knows all about me now and will be able to make me more fine recommendations in future....oh I love capitalism

That was Kirsties buys - I did meself for 2,4 the arcade fire recomendation and something else which escapes me at the mo.
Oh yes an Apocalyptica album after watching this:-

I'll still be eating soup until payday but in the red till then. And then soup will be perhaps on the menu for the rest of the month.

Ryan Leech can't half handle a bike eh?

SamNichols

Kirstie said:
Wicked!!

and

Some fine choices there, in fact I own all of those except the Neutral Milk Hotel one. If I remember correctly, until recently, Broken Social Scene and Arcade Fire shared a couple of members. Broken Social Scene's basically a who's who of Canadian indie.

The Mogwai one isn't their best, but it has at least three tracks that make it well worth having.
As for good news for people who love bad news - that is a slightly more commercial album, and has float on on it, but it isn't as playful.
I agree about Bright Eyes, I can't stand him. The mountain goats do that style of things far better.
Finally, they'll recommend the Decemberists. A fine, stupid band who love a good sea shanty.

SamNichols

Rhythm Thief said:
Might not be your thing, but you might like Iron and Wine if you like Sufjan. Or even The Magnetic Fields' triple album 69 Love Songs.

Iron and Wine are good, but a bit boring. I've never really got the Magnetic Fields album - I had a housemate who swore it's one of the best albums ever made, but it's just a bit too esoteric even for my tastes.

Anyone got any decent post-rock recommendations for me (not that i can afford to buy anything).

Lots of people I know recommend the Decemberists but I can't seem to find anything I like on 'the tube'. What would you recommend? The people who like them I think of as having really good taste. Hypothetically speaking I should really like them! Also on a more folky bent, have you listened to 'Lightweights and Gentlemen' by Lau (their debut album)? They are awesome, and touring at the moment.

What do you reckon to Midlake, and while we're at it, Granddaddy? Not sure about the former and the latter just wind me up!

SamNichols

Grandaddy made one good song, which gets ripped off left right and centre and is used on BBC adverts (AM 180). Basically they are a not as good Flaming Lips (who are amazing). In that vein, for some reason I love Death Cab for Cutie - no idea why really, they write nice lyrics and songs are pleasant enough (earlier stuff is better). Not really heard any midlake, but the song I just checked out on youtube was very nice..
Not heard any Lau at the moment - may have a look, and then check Manchester dates (I'm going to see Broken Social Scene next week though!).

Try Picaresque by Decemberists - it's the album before their most recent. Not heard the latest one, but that's a very good album.

Here in Manchester, in the Northern quarter, there is a record/cd shop with a US alternative section as large as most of the pop sections in virgin. It's a scarily tempting place (plus shed loads of Vinyl, which is my major weakness apart from bike bits). Luckily I live a trek from town!

got-to-get-fit

Kirstie said:
I have just bought the new Arcade Fire album 'Neon Bible'

It truly is the best thing I have heard in a very very long time, kind of Joy Division, Ride, Simple Minds, Talking Heads, miscellanous goth and early 90s indie with church organs and orchestral instruments all rolled in together.

It's mindblowingly good and I'd recommend it to anyway. Really breathtaking. I'm now permanently shivery at the thought of it :biggrin:

'Wake up' is in my top ten songs of all time.

Foo Fighters new album is also the best thing since buttered toast!

yo la tengo?

not young and trendy, but brilliant. there is a 'best of', but i can't remember what it's called. the last few albums have been quite subdued, they seem to have ditched the real noise fest.

Guillemots? best band in britain.

wilco? they can be trying of patience at times

red house painters? another blast from the past - did some amazing cover versions as well as their own stuff. their version of 'follow you follow me' will almost make you forgive Mr Collins.

grant lee buffalo? never as apocalyptic on record as live, but still brilliant.

Kirstie... the NMH album. play it... leave it a day or so then play it again. First time i heard it i thought it was ok. i now rate it in my top 10 of all time.

L

Top Bottom