The Arcade Fire

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have just bought the new Arcade Fire album 'Neon Bible'

It truly is the best thing I have heard in a very very long time, kind of Joy Division, Ride, Simple Minds, Talking Heads, miscellanous goth and early 90s indie with church organs and orchestral instruments all rolled in together.

It's mindblowingly good and I'd recommend it to anyway. Really breathtaking. I'm now permanently shivery at the thought of it :biggrin:

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
good that is it then?

Danny

Legendary Member
I was a bit disappointed with their last album - the one which starts with Neighbourhood.

How does the new one compare?

SamNichols

Plus Broken Social Scene, and if it floats your boat then maybe Illinoise by Sufjan Stevens.
But yes it is a very good album. I shall probably have to buy it at some point (only heard it at mates' houses)

ChrisW

Kirstie said:
I have just bought the new Arcade Fire album 'Neon Bible'

It truly is the best thing I have heard in a very very long time, kind of Joy Division, Ride, Simple Minds, Talking Heads, miscellanous goth and early 90s indie with church organs and orchestral instruments all rolled in together.

It's mindblowingly good and I'd recommend it to anyway. Really breathtaking. I'm now permanently shivery at the thought of it :biggrin:

Yep..brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant and the first album, Funeral, is even better.

I've never seen them live but from the bits i've seen on TV etc they look astonishing. Try here:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=7273765

for a live concert. Enjoy!

SamNichols

Kirstie said:
Ta!
I know Sufjan Stevens' stuff and love it.
I prefer neon bible to funeral, but that is still brilliant. Neon Bible has loads more depth to it. Will look into Neutral Milk Hotel...

Ooh, I do enjoy meeting a fellow Sufjan fan. The question is: have you heard White Rabbit? If not, then keep well away, it's a stinker.

Also - listen to Modest Mouse. Moon and Antarctica album. They're great fun.

just found this review of Neutral Milk Hotel....

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea. (Domino)

WHY?
That is the big question, encompassing the reasons for this review and questioning the omission of this record from your collection. Simply put, it's one of the finest albums ever. I hadn't seen the need for a reissue as it is a record that is played, more often than not on repeat, by me on such a regular basis that it's as essential as oxygen. Stepping back, the reasoning makes sense, especially if, like me, you have had people tell you how wonderful the Arcade Fire are and how they've never heard anything like them before. That is the point when i let loose with my Neutral Milk Hotel rant until their eyes glaze over and then head to a record shop. Anyway, enough of that, let's clear this up for you newcomers. The acoustic strum of 'King Of Carrot Flowers Part 1' tumbles in like the tower through the trees that Jeff Mangum sings and constructs as he goes. Already the ghosts are circling between the lines and the heady aroma of lost love fills the air, drawing you in until the maelstrom swirl if Part 2 drags you under. Now you are caught. The Aeroplane of the title flies overhead, scattering ashes of lovers as the spirit intones softly, sounding much like a saw. the 'Two-Headed Boy' makes an appearance for the first time, living in his surreal world, but yearning for company and "catching signals that sound in the dark" in a land of radios and "silver speakers that sparkle all day". The song stumbles, trips and rights itself, turning into 'The Fool' just as 'Holland 1945' smashes through the walls, laden with distortion and meaning to sound like that. It hammers along, driven by a bowed bass and frenetic drumming that sounds like a marching band cascading down a long flight of stairs. It ends as swiftly as it started, cut off mid note it seems, but allowing the ghost to escape and wander through 'Communist Daughter' before standing proud after the sprawlingly aching 'Oh Comely', a song that staggers, bewildered and haunted, wracked by the voices of too many people, living and dead and trying to make sense of it all. The bluster of 'Ghost' blows all that away in a melody of trumpets that glide through and finally meet up for the rousing instrumental that follows. Oh joy, now you can bounce around, as the funfair rolls into town, swooping and swirling in a clatter of cymbals. It boils away, twirling into almost nothing, just the echoes of its existence remain as the 'Two-Headed Boy' returns for Part 2 through the mist, like a lost minstrel. He regales you with his woe, longing for a child, for love, for so much. His brother's head is still filled with flames and the ghost still haunts as 'in my dreams you’re alive and we're crying'. The words tumble and gallop from Mangum's mouth, at odds with the strum, but sounding totally in place. The end is brutal. The cold biting "Don't hate her when she gets up to leave" is all the advice he can offer before laying down his guitar and wrestling the plug from it. Like the ghost that wanders the record, this album will return to you and stay in your head and heart. There will be times when it's all you can play and others when you can't bear the thought of it, so crushing is its Frankness, but you will never let go of it - ever. If you haven't got this record then i come back to my initial question.

L

Big Bren

I have to agree with the OP. I didn't know much about them until I saw them play the Leeds festival earlier this year; we took the kids on the Sunday to see the Chili Peppers, but we were both blown away by Arcade Fire. Their set was chaotic and bizarre, but very beautiful.

Bren

Top Bottom