The Armstrong/USPS doping thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
The subject isn't banned, the feelings on this thread are that only new revelations should appear and the 2,350 post thread was not a good reflection on many of the posters, it certainly was not just one troll.

The problem is that Armstrong has become a religion, with few facts and plenty of faith amongst the believers and the non-believers. And, like most religions, the believers and the non-believers can't understand that anyone can hold a different opinion to their own and, in the absence of facts to support either position, express that frustration through violence.
Norm - the fact that you didn't consider the revelation of three more ex USPS riders being former dopers to be 'news' suggests that you are in no position to decide what is interesting or relevant to the rest of us.

I've been a mod (as those with loooong memories might remember) and closing the thread with no warning was a bad decision. I hope you and any other mods involved will be big enough to accept this and either unlock it or allow another thread to be started. If you can do this, trust me, people will respect you for it. Also, if there is a problem with the way the thread is going - actively Moderate it. Don't just sit back and then swing the big hammer at the last minute.

Also, if there is a problem with the way the thread is going - actively Moderate it. Don't just sit back and then swing the big hammer at the last minute.

completely agree. I actually contacted 'shaun' on this exact issue - but he didn't even have the decency to respond.

Noodley

I "reported" the Armstrong threads on a regular basis, due to trolling and irrelevant pedantry. For me, the threads had descended into nothing more than cock-waving nobbishness with a few valid points lost in amongst all the dross that was being spouted.

If people cannot self-moderate, then IMO there is no other choice than to close a thread.

I see that there is another one opened (which I have already reported btw as I can see already that 'proper' discussion is unlikely) to discuss Armstrong.

So, either grow up and discuss matters like grown-ups, move discussions along rather than going over irrelevant non-issues, and take time to find out the facts rather than making stuff up...or expect me to continue to report threads! Because I can, I will continue to report them.

come on B&Y this is a thread about closing a thread, it's not meant to be a venue for any of us to air individual grievances on specific matters.

I know - I was just using it as an example. Two poor moderating decisions within a few days (you could argue there was a pattern forming) - and no word from the man on high, despite an effort to contact him directly - that's all I'm saying.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I "reported" the Armstrong threads on a regular basis, due to trolling and irrelevant pedantry. For me, the threads had descended into nothing more than cock-waving nobbishness with a few valid points lost in amongst all the dross that was being spouted.

If people cannot self-moderate, then IMO there is no other choice than to close a thread.

I see that there is another one opened (which I have already reported btw as I can see already that 'proper' discussion is unlikely) to discuss Armstrong.

So, either grow up and discuss matters like grown-ups, move discussions along rather than going over irrelevant non-issues, and take time to find out the facts rather than making stuff up...or expect me to continue to report threads! Because I can, I will continue to report them.

I'm surprised, why on earth would you keep reporting something and telling people to grow up if you're not able to exercise enough self control to just not read what bothers you?

It does smack a little of posters that pop up on threads to declare how much they don't like the thread or the subject....why?

Cheddar George

oober member

Willwaving.
A few valid points.
People spouting dross.

This is an internet forum, none of the above should be reason enough to close a thread. I do agree that self moderation is the key, if you don't like the thread then don't go back there again.

I do agree that self moderation is the key, if you don't like the thread then don't go back there again.

that's exactly what I did on that thread, incidentally. Tried to argue one particular point, was met with a barrage of sheer idiocy from one particular member, then gave up and never went back - which is unlike me...

OP
OP
Chuffy

Chuffy

Veteran
No, I don't agree with that. People get wrapped up in the discussion, occasionally they need a reminder to tone it down or move on.The role of the Mods should be to issue warnings before locking threads.

I agree that the thread you're refering to is unlikely to turn into anything useful as things stand, but a bit of active Modding could save it and we do need somewhere to discuss this stuff as the situation unfolds.

thom

____
I agree that the thread you're refering to is unlikely to turn into anything useful as things stand, but a bit of active Modding could save it and we do need somewhere to discuss this stuff as the situation unfolds.
I have to say, whoever first said "Ignorance is bliss" couldn't have perceived how blissful the ignore button is.
I do think people should self moderate as well and the ignore button is a useful part of it.

someone_wrong_on_internet.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom